• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Are Dirt Cheap RCA Cables Any Good? (Video)

Speedskater

Major Contributor
A better question is?
Are the connectors robust and will they remain corrosion free with low contact resistance over a long period of time?

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've had great luck with cheap monoprice cables but the only problem is defects getting through quality control. The world's best and monoprice premier sound exactly the same but had to return some monoprice ordered from Amazon. I just hit them with a multimeter now, they pass that and all set.

KSTR

Major Contributor
Only two things matter in an analog RCA interconnect:

1] Shield effectiveness at the frequency of present interference. If there is no interference present then the shield doesn't matter.
(it's not all that easy to test this)

2] Low end-to-end resistance of the shield. This is to reduce Common Impedance Coupling noise. This matters more on long interconnect cables or when the two audio units are on different AC power circuits.

With reasonable audio units and cables, capacitance and inductance don't matter.
Yep. Exactly what I wrote in the main thread. I made the mistake there to mention that this review does not touch these two things and got the expected reaction: get flamed and of course was lectured "if it measures well on the AP, it's blameless". Bullshit....

pma

Major Contributor
1] Shield effectiveness at the frequency of present interference. If there is no interference present then the shield doesn't matter.
(it's not all that easy to test this)
It does. See my review here:

this plot that compares crosstalk with a cheap shielded cable (generic cable) to a crosstalk with a cheap cable (supplied cable) that has the signal wire just in parallel with gnd wire, though you cannot know at first look:

index.php

The cables look same

Svperstar

There is a thrift store that sells old electronics near my apartment, the have a huge box full of misc cables each 1 is a dollar. I am using some of them now. Work fine.

newaudioguy77

Awesome review!
And yet, audiophiles will still believe that exotic RCA cables make their systems sound better.

DMill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Why is it that no matter how much I know those cables are just as good, I still go out and spend $50 on something shinier? :)

Multicore

Major Contributor
The Benchmark demo of different cables suggests that interference can be caused by equipment that might well be in the immediate vicinity of your interconnects.

Amir's video seems to suggest that the 3' (1m) length of the cable under test means such interference can't happen with that cable. I thought it just means that if it does then it would be worse in a longer but otherwise identical cable.

Speedskater

Major Contributor
The Benchmark demo of different cables suggests that interference can be caused by equipment that might well be in the immediate vicinity of your interconnects.
I think that others would have to work hard to duplicate that test. Yes, it's possible for cables to pick-up noise from power supplies, but not likely.

DualTriode

I think that others would have to work hard to duplicate that test. Yes, it's possible for cables to pick-up noise from power supplies, but not likely.
So that is the way it works?

Wave your hand and it goes away?

Take out your analyzer and show us.

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor
Actually is very likely. Did not see John working very hard there either. Granted we have to understand he was using a low level “microphone signal” not line level that we use when connecting components. Microphone level or phono cartridge level are more sensitive, but still, noise is noise. Clearly it’s not difficult to minimize the possibility by just getting a still not awfully expensive cable, but just a superior constructed one. In the computer world… just take a network cable running through your ceiling and throw it over for a fluorescent light fixture and see what happens to your network.

Speedskater

Major Contributor
Did not see John working very hard there either.
But he know where the noise generating places were.
It doesn't seem to be a common problem in the pro audio world.
Neil Muncy (RIP) first wrote about the virtues of 'Star Quad' balanced cable back in the mid 1990's.
But it's mostly used in harsh interference locations.

sam_adams

Major Contributor
And gold coating of RCA connections….nothing?
Gold coating is to avoid surface oxidation with time.

Gold plating is only as good as the passivation layer underneath it. If the nickel passivation layer has minute holes in it, compounds in the air can reach the copper or brass base metal and corrosion will ensue. Improper voltage used during electroplating can cause the gold coating to flake or rub off. On cheap connectors, sometimes the 'gold' isn't even gold.

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
So that is the way it works?

Wave your hand and it goes away?

Take out your analyzer and show us.
Are boutique RCA cables sold on the basis that they might help alleviate intermittent/unlikely interference issues? Or are they sold on the basis that they will lift veils and reveal new details and provide warmth and unparalleled depth in your music? And is it necessary to spend big money to acquire RCA cables with decent shielding?

I’ve emailed Siltech, Crystal Cables , Furutech , Acrolink and WBT

all the heads of the five families

this superb you tube video .
but I’m gonna wait…

D

Deleted member 46664

Why is it that no matter how much I know those cables are just as good, I still go out and spend $50 on something shinier? :)

Hey ... if you're buying audio jewellery and you know you're just buying jewellery... go for it.
Just don't expect acoustic miracles from what amounts to a hunk of wire.

DualTriode

Are boutique RCA cables sold on the basis that they might help alleviate intermittent/unlikely interference issues? Or are they sold on the basis that they will lift veils and reveal new details and provide warmth and unparalleled depth in your music? And is it necessary to spend big money to acquire RCA cables with decent shielding?
You have no clue. What are you talking about?

You quote me then bring up boutique cables.

The noise resistant cables that are being tested in the video are Canare Quad Star. they might cost $25.00.

Get a clue.

Thanks DT

Top Bottom