• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Are cheap new Class D amps better than old expensive ones?

Mjj

Looking to pick up a class D power amplifier.
I know the tech for Solid-state amps is fairly mature so a good second-hand amp is a really good option. BUT with Class-D amps still being in the steep part of the development curve presumably would a new purchase be a wiser direction? For example looking at Secondhand Primare 34.2 Power amp ( nearly 10 years old) Versus Nord One nc500 or nc502??

wwenze

Major Contributor
Premare A35.2 vs Node One nc500

IPGTL0W.png

A34.2 is rated at around double the THD+N of A35.2 (20Hz – 20kHz, 10W at 8Ω) so the two amps here should be rather equal. I would see the price and decide. Remember electronics can degrade.
A34.2: THD + N <0.02% 20Hz-20Khz (10W 8 ohm)
A35.2: THD + N: < 0.008%, 20Hz – 20kHz, 10W at 8Ω

I focus on 4 ohm because few speakers have impedance at 8 ohm across the entire frequency range

Last edited:
OP
M

Mjj

Thanks for your quick and detailed reply!
Would you say THD is main factor in these amps - influence on airiness, soundstage etc or internal PSU and RF noise isolation has equal or lesser factor. The Primare is asking $1800 aus dolllars. I noted that Nord one products report substantially improved results as they have used more recently developed third party modules.

tw99

You're in the wrong place to ask about "influence on airiness", really.

Fwiw in your position, if you want a class d amp, you can buy one from March Audio which is an Australian company. Same tech as Nord, arguably slightly better implementation.

Wombat

Master Contributor
Is "airiness" boosted HF?
I don't say extended, because we can't hear beyond 20kHz(some savants possibly) and the levels of musical instrument harmonics are low at the upper-most usual frequencies. Or does it require audio plankton, whatever that is?

Art Vandelay

Is "airiness" boosted HF?
I don't say extended, because we can't hear beyond 20kHz(some savants possibly) and the levels of musical instrument harmonics are low at the upper-most usual frequencies. Or does it require audio plankton, whatever that is?

Still, some people are capable of hearing a 0.5dB droop at 20kHz.

A800

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Top Bottom