• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Are braided audio conductors more prone to RF than a shielded cable?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
braid.jpg

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Shielding is usually better. But it also depends on the impedance and signal level. If you have line-level (or a headphone or speaker signal) and a low-impedance source you are unlikely to get noise pick-up. RF usually isn't a big problem with audio.

escksu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Yes, shielding is better than braiding. Think of braiding as putting multiple twisted pair cables together. IT does have noise rejection properties hence less susceptible to interference. If the environment is not noisy or if lenghts are short, it will work fine. Having said that, speaker cables are less susceptible to interference compared to interconnects.

One issue i read about braided cables are they usually have higher capacitance. whether this has any effect on the audio, i do not know as i have not tried it myself. One of the brand that makes braided cables is kimber. But its ridiculously expensive so i never had one.

Last edited:

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Twisted (or braided) pair shielding efficacy depends upon number of turns per inch (how tightly they are twisted), wire gauge, noise frequency, etc. Generally full shielding is better, especially at high frequencies, but it depends on the interfering signal frequency (etc.)

Top Bottom