• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Are "audiophiles" composed of more introverts than extroverts?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
When my dentist retired I considered it a tragedy of Biblical proportions. He had no staff, his wife was the receptionist and many of his clients could not be named in conversation, there was never another patient in the office when you came.
The only medical folk I generally need on an ongoing basis are my dentist and optometrist (the least available for general insurance aspects). Have had very few dentists and optometrists over my life, and they're mostly related via recommendations (marriage in one case) :). The others I've experienced in the medical fields admittedly are more instance based like a broken bone or something.....but I never consider them as important as the ones I need in a maintenance sense :)

Last edited:

Rockfella

Forum Donor
Ambivert but more of introvert. Happy like that.

Sukie

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I completed a Myers Briggs test over 20 years ago and came out as a "strong extrovert". It was explained to me in terms of "drawing energy". An extrovert draw energy form being with others. An introvert draws energy from being alone. After a busy day, do you want to talk to friends/family or do you want to be alone?

Since getting married and having children, I though that I'd become more introverted as 1) I don't go out anywhere near as much as I used to and 2) I've found that people annoy me more now than they used to.

Having done another Myers Briggs test and still being rated as an extrovert is was explained to me that 1) my family fulfils much of my need for external stimulation and 2) most people get more miserable with age!

Having said of all this, I am definitely an extrovert who also likes my own time, and music meets my needs. When everybody's gone to bed, out come the headphones and up comes Qobuz!

But as to the OP, I'm not an audiophile, never have been an never will be. I just love music and I might as well listen to it on good, value for money equipment - hence this site!

killdozzer

Major Contributor
First of all not everyone here would identify with the term audiophile in the first place. Second, I don't think there's an introvert/extrovert division. I think it can cater both ends. Perhaps extrovert might bring more neighbors to see his gear... Different marketing for different target audiences.

OP
E

ehabheikal

First of all not everyone here would identify with the term audiophile in the first place. Second, I don't think there's an introvert/extrovert division. I think it can cater both ends. Perhaps extrovert might bring more neighbors to see his gear... Different marketing for different target audiences.

Yes that is why i put it in quotes, i think of myself as audio enthusiast, i am first and foremost a computer nerd.

Sukie

Forum Donor
Yes that is why i put it in quotes, i think of myself as audio enthusiast, i am first and foremost a computer nerd.
I wonder if, in the world of audio and of computers, an introvert is a nerd who tells themselves that they're a nerd and an extrovert is a nerd who has to tell others that they're a nerd - I am definitely the latter (as my family well know!).

ezra_s

Forum Donor
Many assumptions here but as I see it, an introvert spends more time with her things, so it is only natural something like being an audiophile that might require time and dedication (to get equipment, to discern what sounds better, make constant adjustments to get better sound or even look for cool sounding recordings) and probably an extrovert would probably prefer spend their time on something time consuming with others.

So yes, I'm definetly an introvert.

Alexanderc

Forum Donor
94DC9DC7-8D15-4A78-AE3C-090A3E2B76FD.jpeg

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
I wonder if, in the world of audio and of computers, an introvert is a nerd who tells themselves that they're a nerd and an extrovert is a nerd who has to tell others that they're a nerd - I am definitely the latter (as my family well know!).

Probably more: "Hey dude, you're a nerd!", "Yeah, I know." vs. "Hey guys, I'm a nerd!", "Yeah, we know."

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would call me myself a part-time introvert and part-time extrovert :). I need to be with people at times, other times? I like to even watch movies alone, some time and other times, need a person to share the movies with.
When it comes to music it is mostly an alone thing.

fredoamigo

Forum Donor
To tell the truth, few people around me know my passion for audio and listening to music. If I told them, if they knew, I would be afraid that they would think I was going crazy!:)
Moreover, I consider listening to music as something intimate, almost carnal ... so yes for me it is a completely secret thing, individualistic ...but paradoxically, I don't like to go to the concert alone.

"Music is noise that thinks."

Victor Hugo

Top Bottom