• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Alexanderc

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Use more than one backup then. It is easier to damage a hard drive than a CD.
I have multiple backups.
A hard drive I used to back up my music collection stopped working the third or fourth time I plugged it in. Thought I lost everything for a while until I found that I had an older backup. I will never get rid of my CDs and CD player.

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Back in the day, it was considered "inside information" that DVD players were superior to even high-end CD players for audio reproduction. What a load of horse hockey that undoubtedly was.

Yes, I still use that DVD player to play my CDs. Sue me.

Marc v E

Major Contributor
In the past I noticed differences (at least I thought I did) but with the current level of dacs and especially a reclocking mechanism in the dac, I don't hear anything different between a cheap bluray player, an expensive cd player, an ultra cheap chromecast and a midprice mac mini.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
In the past I noticed differences (at least I thought I did) but with the current level of dacs and especially a reclocking mechanism in the dac, I don't hear anything different between a cheap bluray player, an expensive cd player, an ultra cheap chromecast and a midprice mac mini.
Hehehe... When I retailed gear for 9 years we had a wall of CD players. Like 40 models all mounted on wall slats. So it was very easy to see and compare them. Me and my mates could not hear a difference between any of them. If there was a difference we could not hear it and if we heard it we where never sure we actually heard it. :D

Trell

Major Contributor
Hehehe... When I retailed gear for 9 years we had a wall of CD players. Like 40 models all mounted on wall slats. So it was very easy to see and compare them. Me and my mates could not hear a difference between any of them. If there was a difference we could not hear it and if we heard it we where never sure we actually heard it. :D

The biggest difference was probably differences of mechanical noise while playing, something that is more apparent in quiet environments.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The biggest difference was probably differences of mechanical noise while playing, something that is more apparent in quiet environments.
Yes, some have pretty noisy servos and they chirp, hiss and clatter. After I was burned out on the large amount of people in sales I took up service as a techy and found that sometimes a noisy servo is caused by a incorrectly calibrated CD player. That's a good point and being listener of louder music I don't have the issue although I can see where many peeps will be annoyed and frustrated with the noisy CD players.

MrOtto

Zek

Major Contributor
Yes, with a block capacitor between the yellow wire and the RCA pin.

MrOtto

I managed to find one DV-300 and will try this. Will hook it up to my Gustard X-16 DAC

I read in the article that he actually found no resistor gave the best result. The picture with the must be from sn earlier attempt.
"Then I floated it and took it to new RCA for S/PDIF by a wire. I tried 75 Ohm resistors, some decoupling caps, but finally - the best sound is just from plain straight direct connection. No 75 Ohms, no coax cable, no series capacitor. The SP/DIF trace is THE BEST I have seen in my life. It is unbelievably square !"

Top Bottom