• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Are a dac and an headphone amplifier really worth it vs my phone ?

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you have easy to drive headphones or IEMs then a smartphone output or dongle is fine. With hard to drive headphones a smartphone DAC will still be fine but you may well benefit from a dedicated amplifier. However unless you have a real outlier it's unlikely that you will need 100's of mW, well not if you want to retain hearing. I wish I had a pound for every person who has told me that they bought a DAC/amp based on reviews (including objective ones using measurement) and found it made no difference

posvibes

Because we are in a long lock down my wife is working from home so the opportunity to listen to music via my speakers in the front room are few and far between. So I have been listening primarily on headphones via my computer and my Topping stack and Peace eq.

But lately my laziness has grown and I have been using headphones with my Sim less Redmi Android Phone and my Apple Mini-12 listening to Spotify directly via my headphones. The headphones I use are recommended by Amir and IIRC he made small recommendations to changes in their EQ for best results, but I have even foregone this and listen to them straight.

From a subjective point of view I think the Apple phone sounds better but I am limited to using that device with the Bose QC35ii's in Bluetooth mode.

The other HP's I use are the HiFiMan HE400i, the AKG371 and Sennheiser 650's from Drop. All perform brilliantly and I'd be happy with any of them if I had to be limited to one set, although I think the AKG371's really do shine in my preference. I am surprised that both phones over WiFi offer real quality sound that in such small packages.

But I do miss my speakers in the front room and playing music in an open space.

Top Bottom