• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Arcam AV40 HDMI 2.1 Upgrade?

arcamfan1989

Dear ASR's Folks, Any update on Arcam AV40's HDMI 2.1 board upgrade? Arcam announced that they will do it in sometime Q4 2021 and have you guys seen any latest update on that?

Golfx

Forum Donor
Seems you are in good company. A lot of manufacturers are delaying everything.

Jbrunwa

Additional info was posted in the AVS forum. End of January availability, $650 + tax including collection, service and return.

Jbrunwa

Last edited:

Jbrunwa

Arcam has announced 3 new AVR and 1 new pre-pro this year:

ETA: End of June
From what I can tell the only difference is the HDMI 2.1 upgrade and any hardware warranty fixes already applied, so an AV41 = AV40 + HDMI 2.1 upgrade, etc.

poopy

From what I can tell the only difference is the HDMI 2.1 upgrade and any hardware warranty fixes already applied, so an AV41 = AV40 + HDMI 2.1 upgrade, etc.

It seems to be the only difference, indeed. Plus a good price increase of course

poopy

Sorry I was forgetting the new crucial feature, 'the ESS reference voltage regulators'

Jbrunwa

Since the HDMI upgrade service includes the XLR board and other warranty fixes, I decided to send my AV40 in for the HDMI 2.1 upgrade. I don’t really need 4K/120 at this point, but I do expect to use eARC and HDR10+. Ordinarily shipping with insurance would cost me about $100 each way if I were to send the unit in for the XLR warranty repair, so I reasoned that the upgrade makes sense for me. United Radio estimated 7-10 working days plus transit time, so I eagerly await its return.

poopy

Since the HDMI upgrade service includes the XLR board and other warranty fixes, I decided to send my AV40 in for the HDMI 2.1 upgrade. I don’t really need 4K/120 at this point, but I do expect to use eARC and HDR10+. Ordinarily shipping with insurance would cost me about $100 each way if I were to send the unit in for the XLR warranty repair, so I reasoned that the upgrade makes sense for me. United Radio estimated 7-10 working days plus transit time, so I eagerly await its return.
Did you replace your emotiva xmc-2 with the arcam?

NirreFirre

Forum Donor
Embarrassing of them not to adhere to the new "non hdmi versioning standard" of listing the exact supported features when the only thing changed is those in- and outputs (and the silicon etc the inside).

Jbrunwa

Embarrassing of them not to adhere to the new "non hdmi versioning standard" of listing the exact supported features when the only thing changed is those in- and outputs (and the silicon etc the inside).
i queried Harman support. Here is my question and the reply:

--------------- Question ---------------
I sent my AV40 in for the HDMI 2.1 upgrade. Can you please tell me which HDMI features the new HDMI board will support?

Max bandwidth (40 gbps?)
VRR (Variable Rate Refresh)
ALLM (Auto Low Latency Mode)
QMS (Quick Media Switching)
QFT (Quick Frame Transport)

--------------- Harman Support Response ---------------
Thank you for your inquiry.

It supports all 2.1 specs, including the ones you mentioned. HDMI 2.1 is rated to transmit data at up to 48gbps. The HDMI 2.1 boards are HDCP 2.3 compliant and support 8K@60fps and 4K@120fps.

Daka

Is it worth to update ? I have annoying 5 sec delay when changing between dolby vision and normal on AVR20

Jbrunwa

Is it worth to update ? I have annoying 5 sec delay when changing between dolby vision and normal on AVR20
I can’t speak to Dolby vision but I have not noticed any difference in time to lock onto signals for other content format changes. There is still a silent few seconds or so whenever video/audio format changes like breaking to and returning from stereo commercials during a 5.1 or Atmos show.

Daka

I can’t speak to Dolby vision but I have not noticed any difference in time to lock onto signals for other content format changes. There is still a silent few seconds or so whenever video/audio format changes like breaking to and returning from stereo commercials during a 5.1 or Atmos show.
What TV have you got? I would be fine with 2 sec delay as it used to be with Denon but reaching 5 is testing my patience.

Jbrunwa

What TV have you got? I would be fine with 2 sec delay as it used to be with Denon but reaching 5 is testing my patience.
Samsung q90t. I can tell if a delay is from the AVR or the TV. The AVR display shows the audio format only after it locks on. The TV delay shows a blank screen and a spinner icon when it is locking on.

Top Bottom