• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Arcam A38 upgrade

jogi

Hi,
my current setup is SMSL DO100 > RCA cables > Arcam FMJ A38 > Cabasse Egea 3.
I recently upgraded from HiFiBerry DAC2 HD to SMSL DO100, which also has balanced output (arcam doesn't have balanced inputs).
I'm listening only to my own collection own hi-res music through SMSL dac.

Would I hear any benefit upgrading my Arcam integrated ampilfier to a class D power amplifier with balanced inputs (using SMSL also as preamplifier).
I was looking at NAD C 268 or maybe something from Audiophonics (around 1000 EUR).

Paracam

I doubt you'll see any improvement upgrading from an A38 to a NAD C 268. Class D amps tend not to sound as good as Class A/AB/G so that's something to consider as well. Seems like you have the upgrade bug since your new DAC has XLR. But will you hear a difference? Probably not.

The A38 is a great 2 channel amp. Instead of upgrading your amp, I'd consider selling your Cabasse Egea 3's and purchasing new speakers for the cost of a NAD C 268.

Top Bottom