• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ARC Genesis results

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi there, I am having trouble with my subwoofer output above 80hz. The spl level drops very much so above 80hz. I didn’t have this problem with Denon & same subwoofer (Rel HT 1205). It is as if the Av receiver is applying a cut off beyond 80hz. I even raised high frequency to max but still nothing. Any idea whats going on. The explosions and bombs going off are all good, it’s just the higher frequencies that are suffering like human voices etc.

It is hard to tell from the pdf file as they don't really represent well what's happening at your mlp. Can you post some REW graphs? One thing you can try quickly is to increase the center frequency for room gain and set the room gain to maximum, that's just to see if that would change anything to >80 Hz, just to help troubleshooting.

Aron3000

It is hard to tell from the pdf file as they don't really represent well what's happening at your mlp. Can you post some REW graphs? One thing you can try quickly is to increase the center frequency for room gain and set the room gain to maximum, that's just to see if that would change anything to >80 Hz, just to help troubleshooting.

Attachments

• 0C7B5374-01D2-482E-93E3-5634F719BFD8.jpeg
    0C7B5374-01D2-482E-93E3-5634F719BFD8.jpeg
    43.7 KB · Views: 98

Sam Ash

Has anyone tried the beta ARC Genesis on an AVM90 using 4 subs?

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That one looks good but I was hoping to see some REW graphs that show the actual response curve, for the mlp and a couple other mic positions.

An example from my REW graphs:
The first one was plotted right after an ARCG run, for the MMP only, without any manual tweaks. I noticed the low lass were gone (were there before, with the Denon AVR) so I made adjustment to the deep bass and room gain and you can see that the effects in the second graph (the red graph is the one for the MMP). I spent hours running multiple ARCG versions and plotted many graphs with REW to check the results.

1673530210155.jpeg
1673529936883.jpeg

Both look very different from what the Anthem pdf files showed, there are reasons obviously, but you just can't troubleshoot based only on the ARCG predicted FR graphs because they will almost always look great.

Descartes

Major Contributor
I calibrated my system using ARC Genesis but am underwhelmed by the bass?
No sure we what is wrong with this!

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What targets did you set?

Post your results pdf and compare the targets to what others have set in their posted pdfs

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Did you take any measurements to see what's going on?
In my case, you can see from the graphs I posted, that ARCG resulted in significantly less bass output below 50 Hz. I got it back by increasing the "deep bass" manually.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What do you mean what target?

I will post some pictures this weekend
You can go into the settings to adjust your target parameters to increase the room gain and bass response. Set a frequency response slope. Watch the YouTube videos I've previously posted in this thread from Audio Advice and Audioholics on how to do that.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Great video with some key new features like: quick measure with ARC engaged to measure the results, And Remeasure for a given speaker so you can pick one or more speakers to remeasure instead of having to re run the entire system!

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Great video with some key new features like: quick measure with ARC engaged to measure the results, And Remeasure for a given speaker so you can pick one or more speakers to remeasure instead of having to re run the entire system!

Thank you, yes it is a good video but I wish they would show some REW graphs. For whatever reasons, Audyssey and Dirac users are not shy to use REW to check the result (for multiple positions within the listening window/bubble), but Anthem ARC users don't seem to be interested or think there is any need to. Very strange but I can guess the reasons... The 80.5 dB peak is a little silly/or funny to be polite, they talked about that too on the 900 plus page thread, what's the reason for the .5 lol....

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you, yes it is a good video but I wish they would show some REW graphs. For whatever reasons, Audyssey and Dirac users are not shy to use REW to check the result (for multiple positions within the listening window/bubble), but Anthem ARC users don't seem to be interested or think there is any need to. Very strange but I can guess the reasons... The 80.5 dB peak is a little silly/or funny to be polite, they talked about that too on the 900 plus page thread, what's the reason for the .5 lol....
It would be valuable for someone to run rew and arc quick measure side by side to see how well they correlate. The explanation they gave was quick measure with ARC correction on/off makes REW redundant. If that's the case then comparing the two outputs should be part of that claim. In any case I'm excited to try quick measure with ARC engaged to see my LCR frequency response and make some tweaks to the mid range.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It would be valuable for someone to run rew and arc quick measure side by side to see how well they correlate. The explanation they gave was quick measure with ARC correction on/off makes REW redundant. If that's the case then comparing the two outputs should be part of that claim. In any case I'm excited to try quick measure with ARC engaged to see my LCR frequency response and make some tweaks to the mid range.

Can you post a link to quick measure graphs that show the FR of LR plus sub or even just L+subs and R+subs? I don't recall seeing such posts.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Can you post a link to quick measure graphs that show the FR of LR plus sub or even just L+subs and R+subs? I don't recall seeing such posts.
I haven't tried the quick measure pre/post yet. I'll try it this weekend and post results. In the meantime I'll find my latest ARC measurements and post them as a pdf for your review. My specific issue I'm exploring is the sense that guitars are not getting enough energy when playing rock music. They seem lower volume than vocals, bass, and cymbals. I'm expecting to get more visceral energy. I'm thinking it's because big guitar power chords are just not coming through the way the other instruments are. My LCRs are behind my movie screen so I'm wondering if ARC needs a little additional tweaking to adjust for that. t's just a hunch so I want to measure the full frequency response with ARC engaged and see what's actually going on.

Edit: Here are my ARC Genesis most recent results.

Attachments

• vickers_mrx1140042023.pdf
    428.9 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I haven't tried the quick measure pre/post yet. I'll try it this weekend and post results. In the meantime I'll find my latest ARC measurements and post them as a pdf for your review. My specific issue I'm exploring is the sense that guitars are not getting enough energy when playing rock music. They seem lower volume than vocals, bass, and cymbals. I'm expecting to get more visceral energy. I'm thinking it's because big guitar power chords are just not coming through the way the other instruments are. My LCRs are behind my movie screen so I'm wondering if ARC needs a little additional tweaking to adjust for that. t's just a hunch so I want to measure the full frequency response with ARC engaged and see what's actually going on.

Thank you, we can both do it, then compare notes.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Edit: Here are my ARC Genesis most recent results.

If you want more energy in the bass, try increasing bass boost to at least 3 dB, and can increase it in steps of 0.5 dB by ears, though it is much better to use REW to tell you the real story.

Everyone's green curves look great, but REW may tell you they are not so pretty, even if you measure at all mic positions and average them. That's just my educated guess, can't wait to see your REW curves.

Thank you for posting the curves regardless.

1683320911786.png

Last edited:

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I ran quickmeasure on my front LCR with and without ARC engaged. With ARC engaged the subwoofers are running which is obviously beefing up the low end. I see the frequency response is louder but I don't see it necessarily being smoother...

Attachments

• front center quickmeasure.png
    front center quickmeasure.png
    152.7 KB · Views: 70
  • front left quickmeasure.png
    front left quickmeasure.png
    150.1 KB · Views: 75
  • frontrightquickmeasure.png
    frontrightquickmeasure.png
    156.7 KB · Views: 76

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I ran quickmeasure on my front LCR with and without ARC engaged. With ARC engaged the subwoofers are running which is obviously beefing up the low end. I see the frequency response is louder but I don't see it necessarily being smoother...

Thanks, I haven't done my yet. You can already see what I suspected, that there is no way this feature can serve to replace REW/Umik. First of all, we need to see how the speaker and subs work together, so I would like to see at least the following:

- Front left with subwoofers
- Front right with subwoofers
- Front left, right and subwoofers

The quick measure curves don't tell as not, not even close, as what REW do. Regardless, you can still see how little use the ARCG generated curves really are, same for the pdf files. They are of course somewhat useful, but no more so that those generated by the Audyssey MultEQ app.

I am not too worry about the center channel because if the subs integrate well with the front left and right, it typically would do okay as well, but why not anyone. I used to plot it for the surrounds as well, but not anymore, imo not worth the time and efforts.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I will see if there is a way to separate out the subwoofer from fronts with ARC engaged to see the effect the sub integration. I think what I'm seeing is it does a good job as sub integration and room correction, but not equalizing the speakers.

Edit: I can run quick measure on the subs and the re-run the fronts with the subs unplugged
That should show the effects of the crossover.

I did not see a way to manually apply PEQ tweaks to the ARC output. If so that would be the best solution.

I started setup REW last night using the included Anthem Mic. I now just need to run the test signal from my PC into the Anthem. Hopefully I can use HDMI out from the PC to the Anthem.

Last edited:

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I will see if there is a way to separate out the subwoofer from fronts with ARC engaged to see the effect the sub integration. I think what I'm seeing is it does a good job as sub integration and room correction, but not equalizing the speakers.

Edit: I can run quick measure on the subs and the re-run the fronts with the subs unplugged
That should show the effects of the crossover.

I did not see a way to manually apply PEQ tweaks to the ARC output. If so that would be the best solution.

I started setup REW last night using the included Anthem Mic. I now just need to run the test signal from my PC into the Anthem. Hopefully I can use HDMI out from the PC to the Anthem.
I think even in the video, Theo and Gene weren't saying there's no more need to use REW. He seemed to simply say during the calibration, you don't need to flip between the ARCG mic and the REW mic to check results any more. That, I agree, for example, if I want to do some subwoofer crawling, with Audyssey or Dirac I would have the Umik-1 mic set up as well. Now I can just use quick measure. To really assess how well the speakers and sub integrate, I will still use REW to measure the speakers/subs combinations I listed earlier, because quick measure does not really do a good enough job for that purpose.

Have you used REW to measure the speakers/subs combinations, such as front left, front right, and subs running at the same time? I would like to see how the frequency response compare to those in your pdf file. Just the range from 15 to 300 Hz will be good enough. I posted my REW graphs a few times before, so I assume you know why I feel the need to use REW in order to know what to do to get the bass right.

Last edited:
Top Bottom