• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Arbitrary Shape Room Mode Simulator

OP
NTK

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks NTK!
If I can find some time, in which discussion should I send my room measurements to get some advice?
I use Mathematica for my simulations, which is nowhere as flexible as dedicated commercial FEM packages such COMSOL, which have flexible 3-D CAD importing tools to work with 3-D models created using 3-D CAD tools. Dealing with complicated geometries using Mathematica is comparatively difficult and time consuming.

The technology/techniques for in-room frequency response analysis are also not very mature, at least for us non-professional enthusiasts. The quality of the analyses depends a lot on the input data, and many of which, for example the sound absorption characteristics of the walls, we don't know/understand well at all. So the analysis results can be highly inaccurate.

If your room is not too complicated, I should be able to help with the room mode analysis. May be perhaps some highly simplified room response at a few frequencies too.
And which is the best programming language (python?) to visualize the waves in the room in 3d?
Thanks in advance
I think you can do similar analyses using free FEM packages (e.g. FEniCS) for Python too, but I have not tried it myself. It does demand a fair bit advanced math knowledge for the user.

Example on solving the Helmholtz equation:

Frank71

I use Mathematica for my simulations, which is nowhere as flexible as dedicated commercial FEM packages such COMSOL, which have flexible 3-D CAD importing tools to work with 3-D models created using 3-D CAD tools. Dealing with complicated geometries using Mathematica is comparatively difficult and time consuming.

The technology/techniques for in-room frequency response analysis are also not very mature, at least for us non-professional enthusiasts. The quality of the analyses depends a lot on the input data, and many of which, for example the sound absorption characteristics of the walls, we don't know/understand well at all. So the analysis results can be highly inaccurate.

If your room is not too complicated, I should be able to help with the room mode analysis. May be perhaps some highly simplified room response at a few frequencies too.

I think you can do similar analyses using free FEM packages (e.g. FEniCS) for Python too, but I have not tried it myself. It does demand a fair bit advanced math knowledge for the user.

Example on solving the Helmholtz equation:
Thanks NTK, you're very kindly! As soon as I've some time I'll do some tests and get back to you :)

Top Bottom