• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Appropriate ~ $100 Amp (available in Canada) to Pair with Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro (250 Ohm), Topping D30

HeadphoneFan

Hello Everyone! Wondering if you can help with this one.

I was thinking of the the topping NX3, but I would need to have it on high gain to drive the DT 990, which would presumably cause clipping when I connected it to the D30. The 32 Ohm DT 990 premium costs $70 more than the 250 Ohm variation so I would like to avoid that route if possible. I assume a creative E1 would work but it doesn't look high-quality, struggling to find decent desktop amps under $100.

Alternatively, does someone know of another open/semi-open headphone that has some sort of presence in the 20-60 hz region? I may end up just forgoing the idea of getting an open headphone that has sub-bass but would be nice to get one with some low-end. I'm no basshead, just looking for a sub-bass response that is neutral or a couple db below neutral, as opposed to 5-10 db below neutral like most open headphones have.

OP
H

HeadphoneFan

Thanks for the reply!

I saw your review of the atom and was rather impressed. The atom costs $100 U.S but exchange rate would bring it up to around $130 and $35 shipping would increase the price to $165. Given how well the atom performs even at $200, it may still be worth it to save up for one, especially if I do end up buying the DT 990 as I originally intended. However, I’m concerned that I will have to pay some sort of import fee in addition to the costs listed, so overall I hesitate to get the Atom.

OP
H

HeadphoneFan

I had a long listening session today and found that with my D30 everything from bass to mids to treble has become more apparent. Consequently, I’m quite satisfied with the amount of bass I’m getting but am finding that sibilant sounds have become very annoying, especially when I’m gaming (dialogue features prominently in many of the games I play). Note that previously I had only listened to CDs or video games through the Xbox 360’s internal DAC.

I’m thinking I may just get a Sennheiser Game One (judging by rtings.com’s measurements it’s essentially a 50 Ohm HD 600 with a mic) or HD 598 or 599, and then pair my new headphones with a topping NX3.

I greatly appreciate the help, however. How’s the weeding going Amir?

Roen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If you live in either the GTA or BC, you can always get it shipped to a package forwarder. US Cost + US Shipping + $3 locker fee + $5 forwarding fee + HST.

OP
H

HeadphoneFan

Thanks for the reply!

I live in BC, not sure what you mean by package forwarder.

I’m impressed that JDS can make something as good as the atom for $100. What sorts of headphone + amp + dac setups are you guys using? Amir what’s your favourite sub-$500 open headphone?

Last edited:
Top Bottom