• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Applying PEQ to my MacOS+Numark DJ Controller setup

spaghetti

I want to apply the M-Audio B4 PEQ suggested in this excellent review by @Weeb Labs to my MacOS/Numark DJ controller setup (I need to run a DJ software app on MacOS to work with the Numark controller). I guess I can't use the PEQ values in MacOS since I am using a DJ software for tracks management and playback. How should I go for the EQ adjustments? Can I plugin a budget EQ on the back of the Numark controller?

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you’re controlling the DJ controller through Mac OS and the output is set to Numark then you can apply EQ via Sound Source from Rogue Amoeba. You’ll have to get a VST plugin like Waves Q10 which you can host within Sound Source for PEQ.

Weeb Labs

Addicted to Fun and Learning
You’ll have to get a VST plugin like Waves Q10 which you can host within Sound Source for PEQ.
OS X includes a rather good PEQ VST (or rather AU), which can be used within SoundSource.

1673205230723.png

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Weeb Labs

Not only that but if you download Maiky's APO PEQ file from the BX5 review thread (or almost any other speaker review), you can actually import it using the Headphone EQ function, like this.

1673205746090.png

1673206002904.png

1673205784676.png

You now have very elegantly implemented anechoic correction which can easily be toggled as required, with preamp control handled for you. Rogue Amoeba will soon be implementing per-device output profiles, which should render things even more convenient.

Last edited:
OP
spaghetti

spaghetti

So I applied @pierre M-Audio B4 EQ profile to SoundSource but I can't see the values anywhere. I'm confused because I had to go through the Headphone EQ to apply an EQ profile at all. How do I know the profile is applied to the MacOS system output/USB going to my Numark device? The AUNBandEQ and 10-Band EQ graphs are both flat.

Screen Shot 2023-01-18 at 12.53.01 PM.png

Weeb Labs

Select
So I applied @pierre M-Audio B4 EQ profile to SoundSource but I can't see the values anywhere. I'm confused because I had to go through the Headphone EQ to apply an EQ profile at all. How do I know the profile is applied to the MacOS system output/USB going to my Numark device? The AUNBandEQ and 10-Band EQ graphs are both flat.

View attachment 258102
When a profile is loaded as a Headphone EQ preset, the individual filters are not displayed and neither AUNBandEQ nor 10-Band EQ filters are required. So long as the correct device is selected, that will be used as the output.

1674066826257.png

Last edited:

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

View attachment 258102
You set the output device in the dropdown just under "device" top right. It is currently showing a speaker icon. Mine shows a USB symbol...

Screenshot 2023-01-18 at 18.14.06.png

Weeb Labs

I would recommend making the SoundSource panel horizontally wider, as that will enable it to display full devices names rather than simply an icon.

1674066674641.png

OP
spaghetti

spaghetti

Got it, so now I have the equalized output from the Headphones EQ going to the Numark. I guess I can disable the AUNBandEQ and 10-Band EQ services. Too bad I can't see the profile parameters for the Headphone EQ.

I am going to play with my setup as soon as I get the right RCA cable and post a photo of my install with a subjective test with and without the EQ profile on the BX4.

Screen Shot 2023-01-19 at 7.12.21 PM.png

OP
spaghetti

spaghetti

So here is my bedroom DJ setup in all its glory. Namely:

- M-Audio BX4 speakers
- Numark Mixtrack Pro FX mounting a Cirrus Logic CS4344 DAC (apparently capable to handle 24 bits: https://www.cirrus.com/products/cs4344-45-48/)
- Tidal HiFi 16bits lossless streaming
- eqMac MacOS EQ (free version with a canned 10 bands EQ)

Got all excited when I finally got my 8 feet RCA male-to-male cable to connect the Numark to the BX4 (not included with the speakers), fired up my Tidal, cranked the volume and... What a mess!!! :D:D
The overpowering and distortion in the 2K-4K Hz is obvious even to an unexperienced audiophile like myself. I guess I am spoiled with my Klipsch R-26 hooked on an old Marantz SR7006. Overall I had a feeling of listening to music coming from cardboard boxes. First thought that crossed my mind is of course you get what you pay for.

I proceeded to apply @pierre EQ adjustments through SoundSource. The import through the Headphones EQ worked fine. This helps in keeping that mid-high range under control. However I've found @pierre EQ sound a bit too muffled for my taste and after listening to many songs I ended up with the EQ shown in the eqMac screenshot below.

There are some good parts:
- Vocals (I believe in the 250-500Hz range?) are surprisingly good
- Bass below 100Hz is also acceptable (but I hear a lot of messy distortion in the 125Hz area)
- Power is plenty for speakers this size (which is never an issue in these days electronics I understand)

Best songs for these speakers: Younger The Hails, Hawai Maluma. Here the vocals and bass dominance makes the listening very fine.
Worst songs for these speakers: Golden Harry Styles, Without You Symphony X. Golden in particular is a complete mess.

In conclusion I can't recommend these speakers, but then again what can you get for this price? I am tempted to buy the Edifier MR4. A Subwoofer is also much needed especially for a DJing setup.

One more positive (not related to the BX4): I don't know exactly what it is that makes listening to music from my computer desk more enjoyable than sitting on a living room couch. I guess the soundstage improves when sitting at the proper distance, playing with the EQ adjustments to my liking and the easier Tidal commands compared to the phone interface or my smart tv app.

IMG_5367.jpeg

Screen Shot 2023-01-21 at 12.18.01 PM.png

Attachments

• M-Audio BX4 D3 EQ.txt
    619 bytes · Views: 30

Weeb Labs

So here is my bedroom DJ setup in all its glory. Namely:

- M-Audio BX4 speakers
- Numark Mixtrack Pro FX mounting a Cirrus Logic CS4344 DAC (apparently capable to handle 24 bits: https://www.cirrus.com/products/cs4344-45-48/)
- Tidal HiFi 16bits lossless streaming
- eqMac MacOS EQ (free version with a canned 10 bands EQ)

Got all excited when I finally got my 8 feet RCA male-to-male cable to connect the Numark to the BX4 (not included with the speakers), fired up my Tidal, cranked the volume and... What a mess!!! :D:D
The overpowering and distortion in the 2K-4K Hz is obvious even to an unexperienced audiophile like myself. I guess I am spoiled with my Klipsch R-26 hooked on an old Marantz SR7006. Overall I had a feeling of listening to music coming from cardboard boxes. First thought that crossed my mind is of course you get what you pay for.

I proceeded to apply @pierre EQ adjustments through SoundSource. The import through the Headphones EQ worked fine. This helps in keeping that mid-high range under control. However I've found @pierre EQ sound a bit too muffled for my taste and after listening to many songs I ended up with the EQ shown in the eqMac screenshot below.

There are some good parts:
- Vocals (I believe in the 250-500Hz range?) are surprisingly good
- Bass below 100Hz is also acceptable (but I hear a lot of messy distortion in the 125Hz area)
- Power is plenty for speakers this size (which is never an issue in these days electronics I understand)

Best songs for these speakers: Younger The Hails, Hawai Maluma. Here the vocals and bass dominance makes the listening very fine.
Worst songs for these speakers: Golden Harry Styles, Without You Symphony X. Golden in particular is a complete mess.

In conclusion I can't recommend these speakers, but then again what can you get for this price? I am tempted to buy the Edifier MR4. A Subwoofer is also much needed especially for a DJing setup.

One more positive (not related to the BX4): I don't know exactly what it is that makes listening to music from my computer desk more enjoyable than sitting on a living room couch. I guess the soundstage improves when sitting at the proper distance, playing with the EQ adjustments to my liking and the easier Tidal commands compared to the phone interface or my smart tv app.

View attachment 258791
View attachment 258829
It is important to bear in mind that Pierre's correction is anechoic and not what you will hear in-room. Room correction remains essential, in order to eliminate the typical modal peaks around 80-120Hz. That is most likely the cause of your muffled sound.

OP
spaghetti

spaghetti

For reference, the Adam T5V have been tested here, albeit $400 for the pair and 5" woofer.
I'm also intrigued by this KRK ROKIT 5 G4 5".

Last edited:
Top Bottom