• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Apple TV 4K sound quality

HairyEars

Having been exposed recently to spatial sound, I’m considering embarking on that path. Apple TV 4K as the source, playing tracks either off their service or Tidal and into a reasonable quality pre-processor.

My only apprehension is sound quality.

Currently, my 2.1 system gets an AES signal from an Aurelic Aries streamer. I wouldn’t buy it today, as it’s overpriced and lacks any measurements—but the sound is still very good. I own more speakers, that together with the stereo form a 5.1, fed by a Mac Mini into MidiDSP U-Dio8.

When I compare the sound quality of the Aurelic streamer to the Mac Mini + MiniDSP U-Dio8, playing the same SoundCloud tracks, the SQ of the latter combo is horrid. The blame might rest solely at the feet of the MiniDSP, but the Mac Mini could share some of the fault (I tried it with a Mutec MC+3 USB, and it wasn’t brilliant either).

What can I expect from the Apple TV 4K?

I’m going to spend quite a bit to augment my current system ($10k – $17k, depending on the Atmos layout).
It’ll be a shame if I get a sour apple pie at the end of the rainbow :D

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Apple TV 4k only outputs 24bit 48khz over hdmi.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
When I compare the sound quality of the Aurelic streamer to the Mac Mini + MiniDSP U-Dio8, playing the same SoundCloud tracks, the SQ of the latter combo is horrid. The blame might rest solely at the feet of the MiniDSP, but the Mac Mini could share some of the fault (I tried it with a Mutec MC+3 USB, and it wasn’t brilliant either).
Can you specify "horrid"? How did you test this? Mac + Uio8 should be capable of bit-perfect output. There should be no difference to the Aurelic.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Having been exposed recently to spatial sound, I’m considering embarking on that path. Apple TV 4K as the source, playing tracks either off their service or Tidal and into a reasonable quality pre-processor.

My only apprehension is sound quality.

Currently, my 2.1 system gets an AES signal from an Aurelic Aries streamer. I wouldn’t buy it today, as it’s overpriced and lacks any measurements—but the sound is still very good. I own more speakers, that together with the stereo form a 5.1, fed by a Mac Mini into MidiDSP U-Dio8.

What can I expect from the Apple TV 4K?

I’m going to spend quite a bit to augment my current system ($10k – $17k, depending on the Atmos layout).
It’ll be a shame if I get a sour apple pie at the end of the rainbow :D
I do not see how can Apple TV or the Mac can gave any effect on the sound quality. They are digital devices and unless funny effects are applied they should be transparent. If you hear a "horrid" sound my advise will be to check the software you are running and/or the analogue devices you are using.

jensgk

Forum Donor
Are there different volume controls in the signal path, when you compare?

OP
H

HairyEars

Can you specify "horrid"? How did you test this? Mac + Uio8 should be capable of bit-perfect output. There should be no difference to the Aurelic.

There is an issue with jitter and noise associated with every streamer that affect sound quality. I believe Amir measured the u-dio8 and came up the less than average performance.

OP
H

HairyEars

I do not see how can Apple TV or the Mac can gave any effect on the sound quality. They are digital devices and unless funny effects are applied they should be transparent. If you hear a "horrid" sound my advise will be to check the software you are running and/or the analogue devices you are using.

The software is SoundCloud app on my IPod and SoundCloud app on the MacMin. It could be they perform differently. However, streamers not transprant by defintation as they transmit jitter and noise to the receiving end. A ChromeCast gizmo and Aurelic Aries sound completely different, the former being boomy and muffly

OP
H

HairyEars

I know you all believe in measurements here. Thus, please know that different streamers measure differently vis-à-vis jitter and noise level. GoldlenSound does a good job on in that regard. For example:

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
There is an issue with jitter and noise associated with every streamer that affect sound quality. I believe Amir measured the u-dio8 and came up the less than average performance.
Any decent DAC should not care much about the jitter. The end result should still be the same.

You still haven’t described what you hear, just extrapolated what you think you hear based on a review.

As for what jitter sounds like:

And note that this is orders of magnitude bigger than what actual device produce.

Last edited:

antcollinet

Master Contributor
I know you all believe in measurements here. Thus, please know that different streamers measure differently vis-à-vis jitter and noise level. GoldlenSound does a good job on in that regard. For example:

Pretty much every DAC i've seen measured here is able to reject input jitter down to inaudible levels. It is not something you need to worry about.

Noise? If you can't hear it with no music playing, and the volume turned up - then similarly, not an issue.

Last edited:

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
the Apple TV 4K should be bit perfect for anything on Apple music (with an AVR downstream). Unless you play the Hi-Res tracks. But i wouldn't fixate on that.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The software is SoundCloud app on my IPod and SoundCloud app on the MacMin. It could be they perform differently. However, streamers not transprant by defintation as they transmit jitter and noise to the receiving end. A ChromeCast gizmo and Aurelic Aries sound completely different, the former being boomy and muffly
There is something wrong in your set-up then. Even if you are comparing an >256Kbps MP3 to lossless, the sound difference is marginal at best and certainly not "horrid". What you read on the web is effecting your senses. Do a proper A/B test and you will see.

Last edited:

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
the Apple TV 4K should be bit perfect for anything on Apple music (with an AVR downstream). Unless you play the Hi-Res tracks. But i wouldn't fixate on that.
Will it output 44.1 kHz? Will it output > 48 kHz? I have no idea.. I don’t bother either way ;)

Zensō

Major Contributor
The paid SoundCloud Go service streams at 256kbps AAC, but the free tier streams at 64kbps OPUS, which is roughly equivalent to 128kbps MP3.

The comment about streaming services not being “transparent” is not necessarily true. It all depends upon your source and setup.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom