• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Apple Music or Spotify...can't decide

OP
T

telemike

We’ll after comparing Tidal HiFi sounds better than Spotify and Apple 256 AAC

Zensō

Major Contributor
We’ll after comparing Tidal HiFi sounds better than Spotify and Apple 256 AAC
Level matched and blind? Just curious because I’ve found Tidal to be slightly louder. When level matched the differences disappeared for me. This might be insightful:

Last edited:
OP
T

telemike

Level matched and blind? Just curious because I’ve found Tidal to be slightly louder. When level matched the differences disappeared for me. This might be insightful:

Nothing scientific. Just comparing same songs.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

So Apple and Spotify low fi does not sound as good as Tital hifi. How about Apple hifi against Tital? Spotify doesn’t have hifi so I get that.

OP
T

telemike

I think Volumio’s AirPlay is AirPlay 2 which means 256k AAC not lossless. I would need a DAC to USB connect my iPhone. Prefer not to be tethered to stereo.

I have an old AirPort Express which can do lossless AirPlay 1 but again I’d prefer to hand off the stream instead of going thru the phone.

Thought about getting an iPod Touch or old iPhone to use for Apple Music Airplay...but that's extra $$$ and another device to manage.

Last edited:

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think Volumio’s AirPlay is AirPlay 2 which means 256k AAC not lossless. I would need a DAC to USB connect my iPhone. Prefer not to be tethered to stereo.

I have an old AirPort Express which can do lossless AirPlay 1 but again I’d prefer to hand off the stream instead of going thru the phone.

Thought about getting an iPod Touch or old iPhone to use for Apple Music Airplay...but that's extra $$$ and another device to manage.
Last I checked Volumio was Airplay NOT 2

OP
T

telemike

So Apple and Spotify low fi does not sound as good as Tital hifi. How about Apple hifi against Tital? Spotify doesn’t have hifi so I get that.

More comparing. Apple and Tidal are very close. I can almost go with Apple except Airplay is not as good as Tidal Connect

Tangband

Major Contributor
More comparing. Apple and Tidal are very close. I can almost go with Apple except Airplay is not as good as Tidal Connect
Agree - AirPlay is one notch down . But using apple Music lossless from USB out to dac is just as good sounding as TIDAL - for half the price.

Spotify is worse sounding than Apple Music with AirPlay .

Last edited:

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't know how you can say that unless "Tidal Connect" is a bit louder. There simply couldn't be an audible difference.

OP
T

telemike

I don't know how you can say that unless "Tidal Connect" is a bit louder. There simply couldn't be an audible difference.

I'm talking not about sound quality, but how the stream is either Airplayed thru the phone or handed off to the streamer with Connect

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe factor in the service that pays the artists more per stream? => Tidal in your case.

pay.jpg

OP
T

telemike

Honestly, if you're not being scientific about it and you're just comparing sighted, cognitive bias will totally swamp these types of subtle differences in sound quality.

Understood. It's more about which works better for ME. Airplay or Tidal Connect. I'm going to give TIdal and Tidal Connect a few months. If Spotify ever launches the lossless service I'll probably go back to that.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I haven't been able to find any real specs for Tidal Connect, Apples specs are hard to find as well but have been published. I think it comes down to how much you want to pay and what environment you're in. My son worked for Apple so we're loaded with it. The one thing I absolutely do like about Apple is the privacy. Yes Apple get to know but you don't have to let anyone else like Meta or Google.

Balle Clorin

Major Contributor
Why on Earth would you sponsor Apple?
All they aim for us to lock you into their universe and make you pay endlessly

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Why on Earth would you sponsor Apple?
All they aim for us to lock you into their universe and make you pay endlessly
Sponsor, yeah no. But I trust them with my privacy unlike hmm,m all the rest.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Zensō

Major Contributor
Understood. It's more about which works better for ME. Airplay or Tidal Connect. I'm going to give TIdal and Tidal Connect a few months. If Spotify ever launches the lossless service I'll probably go back to that.
Got it. Functional differences are clearly obvious and our subjective impressions in UX are of utmost importance. For me, the ability to stream any audio source on the device (Apple Music, BandCamp, SoundCloud, YouTube, Safari, et al) using the same controls makes Airplay the obvious choice. Of course it comes with some trade-offs and others will have different priorities.

Zensō

Major Contributor
If you prefer the Spotify UX, you might want to take this ABX test that pits Spotify Premium against lossless. My bet is that you won’t hear a difference.

Top Bottom