• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Apple Music on Denon

RC231

I am considering switching from Spotify to Apple for reasona that can be found in the spotify discussion and don't need to be reviewed here. The main feature I am concerned about loosing is spotify connect. I currently have 2 denon AVRs (3500 + 3700) feeding a music + surround system in the family room and a music + (not yet installed) zone 2 for the living room and kitchen. Both AVRs have airplay 2, does that mean music will stream straight to the AVR and not through my phone/ipad? I don't want to kill my phone battery or loose the playback as I walk around and like being able to control via different devices. I might just grab a free trial and test it out for a few months.
Thanks

chelgrian

Sadly not, worse the current version of Apple Music will cross code anything coming from Apple Music to AAC before sending it for the phone to the receiver over AirPlay.

You can do better if you have an Apple TV where you can output over HDMI to the receiver. There you can have Apple Music running on the Apple TV but controlled by the phone. However the Apple TV is fixed to 48KHz and everything going through it will be resampled to that rate.

Zensō

Major Contributor
Sadly not, worse the current version of Apple Music will cross code anything coming from Apple Music to AAC before sending it for the phone to the receiver over AirPlay.

You can do better if you have an Apple TV where you can output over HDMI to the receiver. There you can have Apple Music running on the Apple TV but controlled by the phone. However the Apple TV is fixed to 48KHz and everything going through it will be resampled to that rate.
Though if Spotify at 320 Ogg Vorbis was satisfactory, I would assume Apple Music at 256 AAC would be too?

OP
R

RC231

I have generally been happy with spotify at 320, but the lossess tracks and atmos would be part of the reason to switch. I am not interested in playing apple $200 to replicate a function that is built into the receiver for spotify.

Kegemusha

AAC apple's implementation is very good, I tried it, and I no diif to the spotify 320 to me.

Top Bottom