• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Apple Music lossless is finally coming to Windows 11!

nzgfs

The new apple music preview app can be downloaded from Microsoft Store now, with lossless and hires options, but no dolby atmos. Hope they can add wasapi exclusive option and dolby atmos.

屏幕截图_20230112_225203.png

屏幕截图_20230112_225239.png

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
nzgfs

nzgfs

Apple Music Lossless was on Windows but via a web app. What you are reporting is a Windows app is coming. You could stream lossless tracks from a Windows PC for a long while. The only change is the app type.

The correct title is "Apple Music app is coming to the Microsoft Store."
The web version doesn't have lossless options. It only provides AAC.

Tom C

Major Contributor
This is correct. Audio from any web based app will be resampled at the PC level to whatever rate is set as default for the sound card. The DAC will report receiving whatever rate the user has set as the default rate, because that is what the DAC is receiving from the PC. But what is sent to you from Apple is not at a hires sample rate and bit depth. It’s AAC.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I wasn't aware of that. Thank you. Apple confirms it.

I apologise to have mislead the thread. I have now deleted my post.

ttb

Perfect timing! I've been using "Late 2014 Mac Mini" to connect to optical In on my receiver to do 24/192, but it's not the same as "WASAPI Exclusive" with Qobuz. I just really like seeing my receiver display the true bit rate since the lossless is a mix of 44.1, 96, and 192.

I don't want to pay for Quboz just for WASAPI Exclusive but I don't "trust it" as much when the source is decoded (from 44.1 or 96 or 192) and then re-encoded to whatever I have the normal windows output mixed with :(. What do you think?

Tom C

Major Contributor
According to Apple website, if you choose Windows Audio Session for the output of iTunes, you’ll eliminate the playing of system sounds. Windows Audio Session is the WAS in WASAPI, so the description sounds like WASAPI exclusive to me:

Apple iTunes Options

OP
nzgfs

nzgfs

Perfect timing! I've been using "Late 2014 Mac Mini" to connect to optical In on my receiver to do 24/192, but it's not the same as "WASAPI Exclusive" with Qobuz. I just really like seeing my receiver display the true bit rate since the lossless is a mix of 44.1, 96, and 192.

I don't want to pay for Quboz just for WASAPI Exclusive but I don't "trust it" as much when the source is decoded (from 44.1 or 96 or 192) and then re-encoded to whatever I have the normal windows output mixed with :(. What do you think?
Agree. Resampling is really annoying.:facepalm:

OP
nzgfs

nzgfs

According to Apple website, if you choose Windows Audio Session for the output of iTunes, you’ll eliminate the playing of system sounds. Windows Audio Session is the WAS in WASAPI, so the description sounds like WASAPI exclusive to me:

Apple iTunes Options
I have chosen that option but system sounds still can be outputted. It seems like WASAPI shared. :oops:

Tom C

Major Contributor
No, not available in Windows 10. It’s only a preview at this point, not a full on release. Looks like the aim is to deprecate iTunes for Windows, as has been done for macOS, and replace it with dedicated Windows apps for Apple Music, AppleTV, and Apple Devices.

Zorlac

I played with the Apple Music Preview app and I am not seeing an exclusive/WASAPI mode unfortunately.

Pancreas

I dont see it on the store but sucks ass that is only for win 11 my computer cant run it lol

oryan_dunn

Apple iTunes Options
Unfortunately, the Apple documentation is incorrect. In iTunes, you can select WASAPI, but you can still hear system sounds, which means they're using WASAPI shared. Hopefully with the new Apple Music app and lossless, they'll have an option to use WASAPI exclusive. For Apple Music only streaming, iTunes only supports AAC, so probably not a big deal for iTunes to not use exclusive mode. Would only be an issue for those who have their own ALAC files on Windows.

tjcinnamon

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Is there a way to submit in-app feedback to allow selection of an audio device? Or set to exclusive mode?

napfkuchen

Has anybody here been able to try the windows 11 app? I installed it yesterday and after entering the login-details the app just freezes ...

Kegemusha

So if you have windows 10, you stuck on AAC only via the web browser and is 256Kbs? I have been using spotify since it started and tested Tidal and deezer, I could get CD quality in those by browser. I liked Deezer.

Pretty backwards IMHO, so if you have a windows 10 PC apple music is pretty worthless, seems like and forget about Itunes, I would never install that SW, I had my shares since ipod times.

I got apple music for 3 free months so I am testing it, so far I don't like it, but I have a sonos sytem at home in rom the Sonos app I can steam CD quality, if I understood it right, so I will test that too.

Top Bottom