• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Apple Music Hi-Res Audio Playback Methods Agglomeration

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In my humble opinion. The UI for Apple is best on a iPad, next phone, next browser, dead last on Apple TV.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
In my humble opinion. The UI for Apple is best on a iPad, next phone, next browser, dead last on Apple TV.
Mebbe but I'll never experience it other than on the Apple TV 4K.

JRS

Major Contributor
Dumb question maybe, but does Apple TV support convolution like Roon or JD Rivers?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Transmaniacon

BitPerfect_

@Transmaniacon
By the way, using the Satechi R2 if you keep the ‘next/previous’ button pushed is it possible to seek into the song bar forward and backwards ? Thanks

Taddpole

Wish I could add some knowledge to this thread but I'm totally Apple ignorant and run Linux on the desktop.
When Apple came out with all the Atmos and multich music I knew I had to have it so I purchased a Gen 1 4k box for $100. I just plugged the HDMI cable into my Marantz pre/pro and I was in business.. Almost. I hate this remote and the whole Apple UI for Apple Music.
When I really want to search for something I'll fire up the browser access in Firebox and type in what I want on the keyboard. Then I'll get a email from them complaining that I'm accessing my account from 2 different devices and I need to upgrade to Family to do this. LOL, NOT
I'm perfectly happy with the stereo sound quality and thrilled with the Atmos and Dolby Surround multich files.
Still keeping my fingers crossed that Spotify will bring something similar out and I can go back to using their great UI to play the music I love.
As soon as you wrote that you bought the gen 1 4k I was thinking oh is the remote as bad as I've heard. Guess I'll skip that then. Think 4k boxes remains only way to get Atmos from Apple though which is pity. Maybe the better remote might help improve it somewhat.

No experience of their UI on Apple TV but quite like it on iPad and Android. Until I get Atmos set up I've mostly been using Apple music via telling Google nest hub what to play on CCA to my speakers and that works really well. Can you not voice search on the Apple TV box? It'd skip the physical interface at least.

That said I've never understood the attraction of Spotify UI or even what makes it so different that people like. Doesn't help for me that last time I used it the only option was white text on black background and I can't read that without getting nauseous. Not sure if there's option for normal viewing yet.

Spotify seem pretty clueless though since their announcement and lack of follow up, did they even mention multichannel audio or just lossless?

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes you can voice search on all iPad, iPhone, Apple TV

Tom C

Major Contributor
I realize that for a lot of folks this won’t matter, but you can use an iPad as the remote for AppleTV. Makes navigating the interface a lot smoother and easier. Maybe a used one, if you can find it cheap enough?
I understand the reluctance with Apple. My Mac mini from 2014 is essentially a brick, due to native OS bloated with undesirable, useless apps and features that can’t be readily removed, and cessation of support for the latest software. The hardware remains perfectly functional, but won’t run the latest Apple Music app, so for me is worthless. What a needless waste.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I realize that for a lot of folks this won’t matter, but you can use an iPad as the remote for AppleTV. Makes navigating the interface a lot smoother and easier. Maybe a used one, if you can find it cheap enough?
I understand the reluctance with Apple. My Mac mini from 2014 is essentially a brick, due to native OS bloated with undesirable, useless apps and features that can’t be readily removed, and cessation of support for the latest software. The hardware remains perfectly functional, but won’t run the latest Apple Music app, so for me is worthless. What a needless waste.
Don't let the mini go to waste.

Transmaniacon

@Transmaniacon
By the way, using the Satechi R2 if you keep the ‘next/previous’ button pushed is it possible to seek into the song bar forward and backwards ? Thanks
Yes you can hold down the buttons to seek.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Felix7

When Apple came out with all the Atmos and multich music I knew I had to have it so I purchased a Gen 1 4k box for $100. I just plugged the HDMI cable into my Marantz pre/pro and I was in business.. Almost
Can you please confirm that you can listen also to hi-res music with this setup? Thx.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Can you please confirm that you can listen also to hi-res music with this setup? Thx.
Do you have a link to a file I can test?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Try this 24/192 random playlist...
My AVR reports receiving 24/48 from those files.
I believe a function of the Apple TV 4k box resampling everything to 48k

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
My one wish is that when I told Apple my genre interests they would stop flooding my music choices with rap, hip-hop and the rest that I have no interest at all in. :mad:

Momotaro

My main music source device is a Mac, which also runs the DSP software, then out via USB to DAC and amp/speakers. Ok for me to operate the computer to listen to music, but easier for casual use/visitors to AirPlay to the TV (which heads to the actual TV via HDMI then optical out to the DAC (4K TV mirrors the Mac screen and sits between the speakers).

The interface doesn't bother me (in fact it's kind of fun for a change) but I wouldn't want to use it all the time. Casual use means AirPlay transmission and TV re-sampling isn't a big issue. But lack of DSP for room correction is pretty noticeable on a lot of music. I held off the Monterey upgrade until 12.0.1 but now that I'm there, using the Mac as an AirPlay target (operated by anyone from iPhone or iPad) means DSP is on again. Absolutely a plus.

Top Bottom