• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Apple Music Hi-Res Audio Playback Methods Agglomeration

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I've been using Tidal for my streaming and actually added Apple Music to our family music streaming to try it out. Unfortunately Apple Music apparently won't stream to my logitech squeezebox-based raspberry pi music server, which is a total bummer.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't have a CCK yet. I get an authorize notice when I connect the iPhone SE with a laptop for example to charge it.
Anyway, at this point I am thinking about 2 possible reasons:

a) the lightning<>USB-B cable is only for charging (not for audio signal if there are different type of connections inside)
b) there are some settings to be made in the iPhone in order to let the audio signal to pass through the lightning port.
I just tried he iPhone again and there was not a authorize message so its probable that is not the issue.

Do you have a Mac computer you can test the cable with? You'll see the DAC via the MIDI app. I suppose it is possible its charging only.

I don't know of a toggle in the setting to turn on /off signal.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've been using Tidal for my streaming and actually added Apple Music to our family music streaming to try it out. Unfortunately Apple Music apparently won't stream to my logitech squeezebox-based raspberry pi music server, which is a total bummer.
You need to use Shairport.

BitPerfect_

I just tried he iPhone again and there was not a authorize message so its probable that is not the issue.

Do you have a Mac computer you can test the cable with? You'll see the DAC via the MIDI app. I suppose it is possible its charging only.

I don't know of a toggle in the setting to turn on /off signal.
Unfortunately, I don't have a Mac ...but thanks anyway for your suggestions.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Unfortunately, I don't have a Mac ...but thanks anyway for your suggestions.
I’m not sure how else you can test the cable. You have a friend with an iPhone you can try?

Tom C

Major Contributor
I went the other way. Started with Apple and left for Qobuz, picking up Squeezebox and Logitech Media Server instead. I was then freed from the Apple walled garden, and got a dedicated Qobuz app for the LMS.
Apple has its good points. But the reason I had it in the first place was that I had Primephonic when Apple bought it, so they gave me 6 mos of Apple Music for free. Apple promised an improved interface for classical music based on input from the former Primephonic staff, but it hadn’t materialized before the free period expired, so I bailed.

mukka

Evaluating ways how to use Apple Music including Hi-Res content AND remote control.
(I know I should possibly let this go, but now it is annoying me).

- Airplay -> it's AAC256 when streamed from Apple Music so I ruled this one out.

- Direct connection from an iPad with camera adapter - works great but no remote control is possible (good for my headphone setup in the office)

- Mac Mini and iTunes remote or control via the Apple Music app (with "airplay") - when you control the mac mini as an airplay device from Apple Music running on your iPad/iPhone it seems it doesn't stream to the Mac Mini instead it actually remote controls the Apple Music running on the Mac Mini (correct me if I'm wrong about this one, this is based on the fact that I if I use eqMac on the Mac Mini then I can hear the difference clearly on the speaker so it's not the same stream the iPhone/iPad streams) also the dac shows the 96/192 khz for hi-res tracks which is not possible with airplay unless being upscaled. This solution needs https://github.com/vincentneo/LosslessSwitcher.

I have no mean to measure the difference of the signal between the Apple Music app on the iPad and the desktop app on Mac Mini, but based on a blind test, something is different in favour of the iPad.
The volume is set to 100% on the Mac Mini, the iPad's volume is not controllable as it's using exclusive mode but the desktop app doesn't.

Has anybody experienced or most importantly measured the difference between the MacOS Apple Music signal vs the iPad/iPhone Apple Music app?

Top Bottom