• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Apple Music Hi-Res Audio Playback Methods Agglomeration

mssngpeces

Sm-7777

Akedon

Can anyone confirm - can you change volume on iOS when you connected your iPhone to a DAC with Lightning/USB 3 camera adapter?
And what if you connected iPhone directly to a DAC with Lightning - USB B MIDI cable?

Transmaniacon

Can anyone confirm - can you change volume on iOS when you connected your iPhone to a DAC with Lightning/USB 3 camera adapter?
And what if you connected iPhone directly to a DAC with Lightning - USB B MIDI cable?
Yes you can adjust the volume with the iOS device when using that adapter.

Akedon

Thank you, the same for me with iPhone ->CCK-> USB-B DAC.
I ordered Lightning - USB B MIDI cable (so you can connect iPhone to a DAC without CCK) and will check how it perform with this connection.

Enstip

There is another thread on here suggests it is variable - some say they can adjust volume and some say they can’t. There’s a suspicion it depends on the DAC. In my case with iPhone mini 12 and iPad mini 5, use of the CCK locks out IOS volume (using an RME DAC).

Enstip

Has anybody noticed that you don’t always get the advertised bit depth and sample rate? Eg, many albums say they are 24/48, but when you set them playing and look at the lossless indicator of the track playing, it often says 16/44.1 - even when playing through the CCK.

Update : just listening to Aeron Smith - “better than you loved me” and it advertises 24/48 and is playing at 24/44.1. Confusing !

Last edited:

Akedon

Has anybody noticed that you don’t always get the advertised bit depth and sample rate? Eg, many albums say they are 24/48, but when you set them playing and look at the lossless indicator of the track playing, it often says 16/44.1 - even when playing through the CCK.

Update : just listening to Aeron Smith - “better than you loved me” and it advertises 24/48 and is playing at 24/44.1. Confusing !
With Rotel RC-1590 preamp if I can connect iOS to the front USB-A input with Lightning-USB A charging cable - it shows only 44.1 khz (don't know about bit rate since it is not showing on my DAC). Volume locked at max. With CCK it just doesn't work for me.
If I connect iOS to rear USB-B input with CCK - sample rates changes without problems with up to 192 khz, but I can control volume from iOS.
:rolleyes:

Enstip

With Rotel RC-1590 preamp if I can connect iOS to the front USB-A input with Lightning-USB A charging cable - it shows only 44.1 khz (don't know about bit rate since it is not showing on my DAC). Volume locked at max. With CCK it just doesn't work for me.
If I connect iOS to rear USB-B input with CCK - sample rates changes without problems with up to 192 khz, but I can control volume from iOS.
:rolleyes:
Interesting. There seems no rhyme or reason to it. I guess the variety of combinations of connections and DACs, many of which may have bent the standards a little, makes it inevitable.

My post about advertised resolution was more about when you click on the <lossless> logo for an album, it says what rate the album is available at. But when you start playing a track from the album, and click on the <lossless> logo for that track, is often shows a reduced resolution (and confirmed by what the DAC displays).

Eg 24/48 might become 16/44.1, or 24/44.1, or 16/48.
Eg 24/192 might become 24/96.

The fact that the kit will play 24/192. (demonstrated by the odd album that does what it says) shows it’s not a set-up thing. So is Apple Music mis-advertising resolutions?

Last edited:

BitPerfect_

Thank you, the same for me with iPhone ->CCK-> USB-B DAC.
I ordered Lightning - USB B MIDI cable (so you can connect iPhone to a DAC without CCK) and will check how it perform with this connection.
Hi, did you tested the Lightning - USB B MIDI cable?

To sum up,
Iphone > CCK adapter > DAC,
Will deliver max 24/192 bit perfect, volume control depending on DAC.

Iphone > Lightning - USB B MIDI cable > DAC
Will deliver max 24/192 bit perfect, also volume control depending on DAC (?)

Please correct me if i’m wrong. Thanks,

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi, did you tested the Lightning - USB B MIDI cable?

To sum up,
Iphone > CCK adapter > DAC,
Will deliver max 24/192 bit perfect, volume control depending on DAC.

Iphone > Lightning - USB B MIDI cable > DAC
Will deliver max 24/192 bit perfect, also volume control depending on DAC (?)

Please correct me if i’m wrong. Thanks,
Those are my results as well. I choose to use the USB B to lightning direct. I get about 7 hours of listening before recharge.

BitPerfect_

4357C4F0-82F5-4CB2-89DE-747325DAC98E.jpeg
Thanks for sharing. I ordered this adaptor USB B to USB C. We can use it either with a USB C to USB C cable for iPad Air or, USB C to Lightning if we use iPhone connected to the DAC. I already have these cables.

I’ll get back with a feed-back as soon as I’ll test this setup.

Last edited:

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Interesting. There seems no rhyme or reason to it. I guess the variety of combinations of connections and DACs, many of which may have bent the standards a little, makes it inevitable.

My post about advertised resolution was more about when you click on the <lossless> logo for an album, it says what rate the album is available at. But when you start playing a track from the album, and click on the <lossless> logo for that track, is often shows a reduced resolution (and confirmed by what the DAC displays).

Eg 24/48 might become 16/44.1, or 24/44.1, or 16/48.
Eg 24/192 might become 24/96.

The fact that the kit will play 24/192. (demonstrated by the odd album that does what it says) shows it’s not a set-up thing. So is Apple Music mis-advertising resolutions?
I think you're miss reading. The album cover is an explanation, when you play the track it gives you the actual details.

BitPerfect_

The above posted adaptor, it works at least using iPad Air 4, no luck with iPhone SE (I've also tried a cable but the same result). At this point I am wonder, maybe iPhone SE need the CCK adaptor in order to enable audio output, could this be a condition?

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The above posted adaptor, it works at least using iPad Air 4, no luck with iPhone SE (I've also tried a cable but the same result). At this point I am wonder, maybe iPhone SE need the CCK adaptor in order to enable audio output, could this be a condition?
My wife has a SE and it works with direct cable and CCK.

BitPerfect_

Maybe there are some settings to enable the usb output; the sounds it could be heared on the phone speakers but I can’ t see any toggle button to redirect the signal through usb…

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe there are some settings to enable the usb output; the sounds it could be heared on the phone speakers but I can’ t see any toggle button to redirect the signal through usb…
With your DAC on and set to USB then plug your phone in. You should get a notice to authorize the DAC.

BitPerfect_

Funny, there is no notice to authorize and I know that sequence. Still no signal ...

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

BitPerfect_

I don't have a CCK yet. I get an authorize notice when I connect the iPhone SE with a laptop for example to charge it.
Anyway, at this point I am thinking about 2 possible reasons:

a) the lightning<>USB-B cable is only for charging (not for audio signal if there are different type of connections inside)
b) there are some settings to be made in the iPhone in order to let the audio signal to pass through the lightning port.

Top Bottom