• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Apple Music Hi-Res Audio Playback Methods Agglomeration

Felix7

My AVR reports receiving 24/48 from those files.
I believe a function of the Apple TV 4k box resampling everything to 48k

Ok. So it's confirmed until a future (who knows) software update:

How to listen to lossless on your Apple TV 4K​

What you need​

How to turn lossless on or off​

1. Go to Settings > Apps.
  2. Select Music.
  3. Select Audio Quality.
  4. Select or unselect Lossless. Apple TV 4K currently doesn’t support Hi-Res Lossless (sample rates greater than 48 kHz).

Momotaro

My one wish is that when I told Apple my genre interests they would stop flooding my music choices with rap, hip-hop and the rest that I have no interest at all in. :mad:
I found that genre choice thing you do at the initial setup stage was fairly useless. but I've been using Apple Music for a few years now, and the AI is very good at making suggestions based on my pretty eclectic/obscure tastes in alt variants of genre and subgenre. And the 'listen now' view responds to whatever I've been playing recently as well as longer term. Better than Tidal or Spotify were. But I'd like to filter out all the compilations ('essentials' etc) as they just irritate me.

bevok

My one wish is that when I told Apple my genre interests they would stop flooding my music choices with rap, hip-hop and the rest that I have no interest at all in. :mad:
Use the like and dislike actively and add things you like to your library. Can’t get into those genres either but I never see them on my “Listen Now” page

Momotaro

Use the like and dislike actively and add things you like to your library. Can’t get into those genres either but I never see them on my “Listen Now” page
I forgot that part, yes, when I find an artist I like I add a swag of their stuff to my library.

bevok

I forgot that part, yes, when I find an artist I like I add a swag of their stuff to my library.
Ok that is really odd, it should sort itself but you could go nuclear and delete your profile if you’re getting really annoyed. No way someone else could be using your account?

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Use the like and dislike actively and add things you like to your library.
No way. I don't want to ever hear what I dislike in order to flag them. I want them to do the work.

bevok

No way. I don't want to ever hear what I dislike in order to flag them. I want them to do the work.
The dislike is a pretty powerful method for training music preference AI. Unless they can invent some sort of telepathic link I think its a pretty reasonable way to gather data and feedback on when they get it wrong (which they will)?
One instance for me where I do this (and it is rare) is when an artist I like does some collaboration with a rapper so you end up with a particular song you don't like.
If you're doing this a lot though there is something obviously amiss.

I actually think Youtube Music has about the best algorithm of all and introduces me to the most new music by artists I've never heard before, but that I enjoy. I have never understood the adulation for Spotify - every time I've tried things like the Discover mix I find a lot of covers of well known songs that I like by noname artists arranged to sound very close to the original, I assume as a method of reducing royalties. A bit like those hits compilations you used to be able to buy at the supermarket.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
The dislike is a pretty powerful method for training music preference AI.
Ah but I don't need to train AI. I can concisely define those genres which I wish to make invisible and inaudible.

Momotaro

Ok that is really odd, it should sort itself but you could go nuclear and delete your profile if you’re getting really annoyed. No way someone else could be using your account?
Sorry, idiosyncratic Australian use of 'swag' by which I simply meant 'a lot'. Working as intended, I add albums/singles from artists I like (and new ones I come across) to my library. Your post just reminded me that may be an input to the 'genius' recommendations that appear via the 'listen Now' view. I don't use like/dislike, however.

Momotaro

In my case, I simply listen to what I like, and often add same to my library. No like/dislike. That seems to be sufficient for recommendations to work positively for me at least.

As i mentioned upthread, the genre selection thing that I recall way back during initial setup wasn't great, but that was years ago. In practice classification by sub-genre and granularity are issues. I like alt/experimental r&b for example, but dislike mainstream, ditto rap, and so on. But that's possibly not your issue (or Sal's) really. You presumably want to exclude whole sections by genre.

In my case, I could exclude classical. Awful stuff on the whole (ymmv of course) but some is really interesting. Recently I listened to a classical thing after a recommendation in one of these forum threads. Related recommendations appeared for a while, then went away. If I followed up with more listening, they would have continued.

Edit: I should add that I can't recall just now if the TV version of the 'listen now' view differs much in this respect, if so that would affect your experience, obviously, I'll take a look in due course.

Last edited:

Tom C

Major Contributor
It’s Google’s profit to train AI, so it also needs to be their cost. Why should I work for Google for free, and even pay for the privilege?

Momotaro

It’s Google’s profit to train AI, so it also needs to be their cost. Why should I work for Google for free, and even pay for the privilege?
For the subject of this thread, Google ≠ Apple and using ≠ training.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Ah but I don't need to train AI. I can concisely define those genres which I wish to make invisible and inaudible.
Exactly. Just like on this forum, if there's a member I find to be a real wanker I can just click to "Ignore" and not hear of him again. That's what I want for my streamers. Don't have any problems like that with my personal library, why do I need to put up with it from my "paid for" streamer?

bevok

Yes a block artist or block genre feature would be useful for example. I guess the problem with those approaches is they lack nuance i.e. you might throw away the baby with the bath water. Qobuz have a feature to filter new releases etc by genre for example but I find I lose a lot of releases for some reason even though the genre they are in is selected.
The reality is if you want intelligent targeted suggestions then you need to provide some feedback.
If you have some kind of issue where you feel it is a real demand on your time to hit like or whatever, or want a curated rather than adaptive experience then just browse to your favourite genre landing pages, piece of cake. You can even save the Share links to somewhere then use them to browse straight to the page e.g. https://music.apple.com/nz/curator/apple-music-jazz/976439542
Of course nothing will be quite as targeted as your own digital files!

Momotaro

Yes a block artist or block genre feature would be useful for example. I guess the problem with those approaches is they lack nuance i.e. you might throw away the baby with the bath water. Qobuz have a feature to filter new releases etc by genre for example but I find I lose a lot of releases for some reason even though the genre they are in is selected.
The reality is if you want intelligent targeted suggestions then you need to provide some feedback.
If you have some kind of issue where you feel it is a real demand on your time to hit like or whatever, or want a curated rather than adaptive experience then just browse to your favourite genre landing pages, piece of cake. You can even save the Share links to somewhere then use them to browse straight to the page e.g. https://music.apple.com/nz/curator/apple-music-jazz/976439542
Of course nothing will be quite as targeted as your own digital files!
Block artist would add a bit of value for me. Block genre would be insufficiently granular (and sub-genre appears too inconsistent/inaccurate) but would likely work for others. In the above posts I'm thinking of the 'listen now' view. The 'browse' view appears unrelated to my preferences/habits, horrific actually. I don't use 'radio' but that looks somewhat related.

Tom C

Major Contributor
For the subject of this thread, Google ≠ Apple and using ≠ training.
You’re right that this is an Apple thread. For that reply, I had YouTube on my brain. But the same applies to Apple.
As for using not equal (I don’t have that character on my keyboard) to training, maybe I don’t understand AI properly, but I thought that AI does train as the user uses. That’s part of what AI does.
The Listen Now section in Apple Music seems to be based on what I’ve played in the past, and what I’ve added to my library. The Browse section seems to be more of what you want if you are looking to explore the latest releases, or music you’re not familiar with.

Momotaro

You’re right that this is an Apple thread. For that reply, I had YouTube on my brain. But the same applies to Apple.
As for using not equal (I don’t have that character on my keyboard) to training, maybe I don’t understand AI properly, but I thought that AI does train as the user uses. That’s part of what AI does.
The Listen Now section in Apple Music seems to be based on what I’ve played in the past, and what I’ve added to my library. The Browse section seems to be more of what you want if you are looking to explore the latest releases, or music you’re not familiar with.
You're right of course, about the AI I should have said using = training.

Momotaro

Mebbe but I'll never experience it other than on the Apple TV 4K.
Had time to refresh my memory of the TV device interface. Lower info density compared to macOS, but exactly the same content on 'listen now' view, per my listening and library. No need to like/dislike (or 'love' vs 'suggest less like this') just listen ('train AI' is automatic). You don't go into detail (looks like your posts in this thread are declarative rather than dialectic) but if you dislike that UI you wouldn't like it on Mac any better.

Momotaro

Wish I could add some knowledge to this thread but I'm totally Apple ignorant and run Linux on the desktop.
When Apple came out with all the Atmos and multich music I knew I had to have it so I purchased a Gen 1 4k box for $100. I just plugged the HDMI cable into my Marantz pre/pro and I was in business.. Almost. I hate this remote and the whole Apple UI for Apple Music.
When I really want to search for something I'll fire up the browser access in Firebox and type in what I want on the keyboard. Then I'll get a email from them complaining that I'm accessing my account from 2 different devices and I need to upgrade to Family to do this. LOL, NOT
I'm perfectly happy with the stereo sound quality and thrilled with the Atmos and Dolby Surround multich files.
Still keeping my fingers crossed that Spotify will bring something similar out and I can go back to using their great UI to play the music I love.
Also had a look at Spotify (have an account via family share, don't use it much) and downloaded their app (wasn't on my current computer). Dived into settings to turn off the diabolical autoplay options (same as Tidal) but can't see where I'd block a specific artist or genre?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Dived into settings to turn off the diabolical autoplay options (same as Tidal) but can't see where I'd block a specific artist or genre?
They don't AFAIK.

Top Bottom