• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Apple Music Hi-Res Audio Playback Methods Agglomeration

BitPerfect_

Did you noticed a faster battery drain, taking in consideration that there is no power supply for the phone comparing to let’s say AirPlay stream for example?

gags11

Forum Donor
I kind of feel my whole lifetime Roon subscription and the silent Rock computer I built for it useless. I can stream CD quality 16 bit to all my other rooms through AirPlay version 1, confirmed bit rate by streaming to MiniDsp SHD Volumio App, as some claim Airplay 2 is not bit perfect.

If I want Hi-Res in my main 2-channel system, I just connect my iPhone or iPad to the SHD USB. Am I missing something? Thinking of canceling Qobuz, please give me reason to keep using Roon and Qobuz at this point.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I kind of feel my whole lifetime Roon subscription and the silent Rock computer I built for it useless. I can stream CD quality 16 bit to all my other rooms through AirPlay version 1, confirmed bit rate by streaming to MiniDsp SHD Volumio App, as some claim Airplay 2 is not bit perfect.

If I want Hi-Res in my main 2-channel system, I just connect my iPhone or iPad to the SHD USB. Am I missing something? Thinking of canceling Qobuz, please give me reason to keep using Roon and Qobuz at this point.

not much to be honest, unless you have a FLAC library.

gags11

Forum Donor
Did you noticed a faster battery drain, taking in consideration that there is no power supply for the phone comparing to let’s say AirPlay stream for example?

Have not paid attention to that. I just got the cable in the mail and was listening for 1-2 hours. I had about 65% to start, now have 55% battery left. I assume battery may drain faster, but current IOS devices have great battery life, so not concerned about it at all.

ENG

Forum Donor
An Apple TV 4K is also a cheap streamer at this point and allows you to experience dolby Atmos mixes.[/QUOTE]

How to use the Apple TV 4K?

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
An Apple TV 4K is also a cheap streamer at this point and allows you to experience dolby Atmos mixes.
How to use the Apple TV 4K?[/QUOTE]

Airplay on the Apple TV 4K is basically the same as Spotify connect.

The phone doesn’t stream the song to the device, but rather the device ‘plays’ the song from the servers.

gags11

Forum Donor
iTunes indeed has the biggest library of all services.

An Apple TV 4K is also a cheap streamer at this point and allows you to experience dolby Atmos mixes.

Only caveat is the that the Apple TV 4K is not going to be a fit for streaming Hi-Res to my 2-channel system. It works for systems connected through an AVR with HDMI input. And, correct me if I’m wrong, it would not be bit perfect.

I use an old Airport express to stream to my back yard, which connects via optical to my DAC. You can update the Airport Express to AirPlay 2, or reset and use AirPlay 1 if you think Airplay 2 downgrades signal to AAC as some have claimed

Reactions: ENG

gags11

Forum Donor

The phone doesn’t stream the song to the device, but rather the device ‘plays’ the song from the servers.

You are correct! But all Apple TV’s will convert signals to 16 bit 48khz. You need to use one of the old Airport Express devices as stated above. You can get max bit perfect 16 bit 44.1khz playback

ENG

Forum Donor

The phone doesn’t stream the song to the device, but rather the device ‘plays’ the song from the servers.[/QUOTE]

The new Apple TV 4K is just having a HDMI out?

gags11

Forum Donor
Yeah, it’s supposed to be used with soundbars and AVRs. Little tricky for those with traditional stereo systems.

Exactly!
In addition, older Apple TV has optical out, so you can connect it to a separate DAC. However, the device will convert all signals to 16bit 48Khz.

Edit: 24 bit 48Khz. Sorry for the mistake, I’m a mortal that makes mistakes after all. LOL

Last edited:

gags11

Forum Donor
I didn’t know about that, it’s a bit strange that it’s 16 bit. Not that I care either way tbh.

I may be wrong about the bit, 16 or 24. However, all signals will come out at 48Khz, indicating conversion of sample rate within the device, hence not bit perfect.

Zensō

Major Contributor

Sorry, but I came to the same conclusion. I cancelled Roon, Tidal, and Qobuz.

ENG

Forum Donor
I cancelled Deezer and Qobuz as Apple Music have more than enough of classical music. I was about to sell a NAD M51. But it’s having HDMI in.

gags11

Forum Donor
Now I’m thinking of selling my Rock computer build together with Roon lifetime membership.

let me know if anyone is interested!

51D36368-3AC2-44F5-8151-EA0B580A0534.jpeg

91329CF4-BCD9-49E4-A624-AAF8A8FB7600.png

Tom C

Major Contributor
Thank you to @DavidMcRoy for starting this thread.
I'm just posting a couple of observations. I have music set up in a couple of different rooms in my home, and to save myself the trouble of moving the required connecters from room to room (maybe forgetting which room I last used and running around trying to find the connecter), I bought three Apple Lightning to USB3 adapters for each of three rooms. I have an old iPad Air and a newer iPhone 12 mini, so wanted at first to figure what would and wouldn't work. In one room, (bedroom), I used a JDS Labs Atom DAC (self powered), iPad, and the Apple adapter. The first time I connected it, I forgot to plug in the Lightning power cable to the adapter, and the iPad threw up an error message that connected device (DAC) required too much power and wouldn't work. This despite the fact that the JDS Atom is self powered and was plugged in. After plugging the lightning power cable into the adapter, everything worked fine. Until one day when I had left the iPad in another room, but had the iPhone handy in my back pocket. Plugged the phone into the adapter, and it wouldn't play through the external DAC. Played through the speaker built into the phone instead. Tried and tired to no avail. Fetched the iPad, plugged it in and everything was fine. Hmm, seems the adapter remembers the connected Apple device, and refuses to connect to another. Bummer. An unreasonable limitation, I think.
Sometime down the road, I replaced the JDS Atom with a Topping E30, because the E30 has a remote. Worked fine, no issues. Unless I tried to play music using the iPhone. That doesn't work.
Another curious anomaly was when I decided to try a Topping D10 Balanced for it's balanced output. I got the "requires too much power" error message, despite the use of the Apple USB powered adapter. This time I didn't forget to plug in the lightning power cord. I wonder what the problem is...

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have been able to stream hi res with the following setup.

Iphone8>Apple CCK>Schiit Modi3. I haven’t tested my Topping E30 with this setup but I assume it should work.

Top Bottom