• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
There has been interest in this thread over what the Apple music EQ presets (on iPhone / iOS) are actually doing, in an effort to use them to correct headphone responses without much inconvenience.

To access these settings on your iPhone, you simply go to Settings -> Music -> EQ.

The EQ is only active inside the Apple music app though, something to keep in mind.

Now here are the results

ezgif.com-gif-maker(3).gif

Accoustic.png

Bass Booster.png

Bass Reducer.png

Classical.png

Dance.png

Deep.png

Electronic.png

Flat.png

Hip-Hop.png

Jazz.png

Late Night.png

Latin.png

Loudness.png

Lounge.png

Piano.png

Pop.png

R and B.png

Rock.png

Small Speakrs.png

Spoken Word.png

Treble Booster.png

Treble Reducer.png

Vocal Booster.png

To Download the measurements, Click HERE.

Tagging interested members from the other thread @Oddeeo @Yorkshire Mouth @Bimbleton @Taddpole @Χ Ξ Σ

OP
A

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Reserved for listening impressions, I'm planing on testing whether the Presets help with their respective genres.

Feel free to recommend tracks!

Bimbleton

There has been interest in this thread over what the Apple music EQ presets (on iPhone / iOS) are actually doing, in an effort to use them to correct headphone responses without much inconvenience.

To access these settings on your iPhone, you simply go to Settings -> Music -> EQ.

The EQ is only active inside the Apple music app though, something to keep in mind.

Now here are the results

View attachment 145980

To Download the measurements, Click HERE.

Tagging interested members from the other thread @Oddeeo @Yorkshire Mouth @Bimbleton @Taddpole @Χ Ξ Σ
Thank you very much, this answers the question perfectly!

Helluva bass boost… I think it extends far too high IMO.

Χ Ξ Σ

Forum Donor
I found the classical present works pretty well with AirPods Pro since it lacks extension on both ends. The rock present sounds nearly identical to classical but it's further down the list and I am too lazy to scroll down.

Last edited:

thedster85

I’m using the “Deep” preset with my Grado SR80x. Tames the highs a lot and generally makes it more enjoyable.

aikofan

This is very helpful. Periodically, I’ll play around with the EQ on my iPhone driving an HD6xx via the Apple dongle, but I always end up preferring no EQ, with Loudness probably being my 2nd favorite. Any other HD650/6xx users find an iPhone EQ setting that works well for them?

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is very helpful. Periodically, I’ll play around with the EQ on my iPhone driving an HD6xx via the Apple dongle, but I always end up preferring no EQ, with Loudness probably being my 2nd favorite. Any other HD650/6xx users find an iPhone EQ setting that works well for them?
I have the same phones. I use the Jazz setting for prog-rock.

aikofan

I have the same phones. I use the Jazz setting for prog-rock.
I just now tried Jazz with a prog song, Genesis - Cinema Show, and I can see how it enhances the melodic details and works better than Loudness, although the latter gives it more drive. But no EQ still sounds richer to me.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just now tried Jazz with a prog song, Genesis - Cinema Show, and I can see how it enhances the melodic details and works better than Loudness, although the latter gives it more drive. But no EQ still sounds richer to me.
I agree. I use no eq 98% of the time.

Mediadroid

Hi guys,
I was curious, does anyone actually know what the “Flat” preset is for? Why does apple include it versus just picking eq “Off”? I’ve read a bunch of answers from a variety of sites but I still don’t have a clear idea. The links I found ranged from 2000s iPod days to a couple of years ago, but since apple has changed hardware and software over the years, I’m interested in finding out what “Flat” vs “Off” means today. I have an iPhone 8 and 7plus on iOS 13 and iOS 14, respectively.

Thanks

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi guys,
I was curious, does anyone actually know what the “Flat” preset is for? Why does apple include it versus just picking eq “Off”? I’ve read a bunch of answers from a variety of sites but I still don’t have a clear idea. The links I found ranged from 2000s iPod days to a couple of years ago, but since apple has changed hardware and software over the years, I’m interested in finding out what “Flat” vs “Off” means today. I have an iPhone 8 and 7plus on iOS 13 and iOS 14, respectively.

Thanks
I’ve noticed a small level difference but it’s minor. I don’t think is any other difference.

Katji

Major Contributor
Hi guys,

Thanks
Frequency response curve/graph depends on speaker drivers and crossovers. ...So the crossover is like EQ,, or the EQ is used to get a flatter frequency response.
So EQ OFF might result in a very non-flat response, iow not "un-coloured", not "unflavoured".
So it's better to label it FLAT when it is never off, there is always some EQ. - the EQ to make it flat/neutral.

alumnicesar

Thank you very much, this answers the question perfectly!

Helluva bass boost… I think it extends far too high IMO.
yeah looks like hip hop does the best job of being a "bass boost". It does boost the treble though.

nerdemoji

For me personally, if I were designing a preset for metal, I would boost the electric bass region for like 170hz +3db gain and idk .7 Q and thats it. A lot of bands bury good bass tracks too deep to hear unless you pump massive volume IMO.

alumnicesar

@markanini how do you think I can go about seeing which of these eq presets would have the highest preference score?

I'd imagine the best way to do it is imagine each preset was used on the ief 2023 target. Then seeing how the end result compares to Harman using its preference rating.

But how can I do that lol. Any ideas? Maybe manually apply these (using the parametric eq) to whatever iem I see is closest to ief on the website you linked me?

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
To me, different settings for different genres don't make sense. It's up to the artist, producer, mixing engineer, and mastering engineer to get the "correct" or "best" sound. A high fidelity playback system should play it accurately.

EQ can be used to adjust for frequency response imperfections or for adjusting the sound to the listener's taste.

Waxx

Major Contributor
To me, different settings for different genres don't make sense.
There are whole music styles that rely on that actually. Bass music is made to be played on a certain system where heavy eq is mandatory. On a clean system those tracks sound lifeless and boring, but on the right (high power) setup they knock down the dance. This is very often the case with drum&bass and it's precestors jungle and dub, this is also the case with a lot of modern underground electronic music, that is ment to be played on high power rave systems and sounds good on those, but sounds like shit on your high precesion monitor system that is absolute neutral.

In your case, it may not make sense, and in many it's like that. But not all. This is such a track, mentioned to be played at a high volume on a dub soundsystem with a lot of eq and colouration in the sound. This one actually was a dubplate of the Jah Shaka soundsystem supplied by Iration Steppas back in the early 90's and the mix is made for that soundsystem. It got released because of it's popularity after a few years in 1994.

Top Bottom