• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

"Apple Music and Pandora will no longer promote artists embodying harmful behavior "

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Is it really just about that? Will Spotify be including this song in any of their playlists?

It's an interesting thing, I think, that you can probably find what are now considered to be awkward moments in practically any film, song, TV comedy, drama that's more than a couple of years old.

Anything that shows a father going out to work while a mother stays at home with the kids is now regarded as literally harmful. This is the UK's governing body for advertising:

Given time, pretty much every sitcom from the past will be seen as "harmful" and relegated to 'under-the-counter' availability only. Instances of this have already happened in Britain. Even a sitcom from the 90s is seen as 'problematic':

The Simpsons has fallen foul of this recently. Will Channel 4 in the UK now be sifting through and discarding certain shows from the series? Of course. These shows will disappear forever.

Staple films from the 80s are well on the way to being deleted, as are any films featuring actors who have been accused (not found guilty) of #metoo-style shenanigans. The BBC recently re-shot a completed Agatha Christie dramatisation at great expense in order remove all traces of such an actor. And they changed the plot in order to make the killer a pale stale male; not the downtrodden woman. I think this is the start of a new era of 'diversified' historical drama rewrites. The awkward books of old are about to be rewritten for modern consumption.

Songs are the same. Many songs from the past will feature lyrics that may 'trigger' today's 'snowflake generation'. Anything that suggests 'girl meets boy' is at risk, I would say.
Hysterical insecurities are Rampant in the age of pseudo liberal individualism ...

As long as no one messes with my beer I’m ok to let them get on with it.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor

This thread seems to be missing the main issue.

It's not the lyrics.

It's R Kelly's behavior as a real life serial sexual abuser / child molester that is the issue, due to pressure from the #MuteRKelly campaign.

Maybe those on the thread aren't aware of the video of him peeing on an underage age girl, and then having sex with her, and the subsequent trial (acquitted) from a few years ago. As well as the accusations that he heads up a sex slave cult.

OP
Rod

Rod

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hysterical insecurities are Rampant in the age of pseudo liberal individualism ...

As long as no one messes with my beer I’m ok to let them get on with it.
Fosters Beer invaded the British, Canadian and American shores long ago. You will be O.K.
Calling Fosters Beer "Revenge of the Aussies" is a understatement.

Last edited:

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
It is a stunning recording, a Trevor Horn masterclass, only DR10 according to Roon, think that says more about the DR algorithm than the recording though.
It used to be one of my reference recordings. And good music too! :)

Cosmik

Major Contributor
This thread seems to be missing the main issue.

It's not the lyrics.

It's R Kelly's behavior as a real life serial sexual abuser / child molester that is the issue, due to pressure from the #MuteRKelly campaign.

Maybe those on the thread aren't aware of the video of him peeing on an underage age girl, and then having sex with her, and the subsequent trial (acquitted) from a few years ago. As well as the accusations that he heads up a sex slave cult.
No, I didn't know anything about this charming person, but the fact remains that he is just the first of many.
Pandora has reportedly been working for “months” to update its policies on artists who have exhibited questionable behavior
Clearly this will be an ever-tightening policy, where the definition of "questionable" is open ended, and it is just part of a general trend where businesses can be ruined if they deliberately or accidentally associate with anything that can be deemed to 'trigger' anyone.

I just thought of this genre of music off the top of my head, and lo and behold the culture police have already noticed it:
Southern rock's passion and romance is marred by racism and bigotry

It can only be a matter of time until songs start disappearing. Also, how long for Blind Faith's album cover art, or Electric Ladyland?

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
It is a stunning recording, a Trevor Horn masterclass, only DR10 according to Roon, think that says more about the DR algorithm than the recording though.

My version is one of these two- I'll dig it out to confirm. It has some very interesting technical details on the insert IIRC.

fgth wttpd.JPG

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Thought policing is a difficult line. I liked Br'er Rabbit as a kid but the mere mention of it plays hob now. There are a number of movie actors and musicians I like to see and hear but am diametrically opposed to their politics. That makes me a hypocrite in some folk's eyes, maybe so. By banning all "undesirable" culture I am of the opinion it will just make it more popular in some circles and in the long run agree with the old cliche' about repeating history...

Cosmik

Major Contributor
Where we are at now is a well-known singer being forced to apologise for saying she voted for... the elected president (whatever you think of him).

Cambridge students warned that Shakespeare plays may trigger them.

Students warned about upsetting course material that is central to the course they have chosen.
A growing number of UK universities have introduced “trigger warnings” to give students advance notice of any potentially “upsetting” material in lectures, in a move that echoes a fast-growing trend in colleges in the US.

Academics at universities including Edinburgh, the London School of Economics (LSE), Goldsmiths, Stirling and Central Lancashire are warning students of material they think could be “disturbing”, giving them the option of leaving the lecture room if they decide to. The warnings have been issued ahead of lectures on topics including Christianity, popular culture, history, forensic science, photography, politics and law.

And at the same time, this is hailed as:
“iconic”, “brilliant”, “genius”
and watched by 109 million people (so far) without any kind of warning.

Currently No. 1 in the Billboard 100.

What does it all mean?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
An entertaining episode of Crossfire...

Frank may have the only instrumental album (no lyrics at all) that garnered an "explicit" warning, apparently based on the title of the album, "Jazz from Hell", and maybe the tune on it, "G-Spot Tornado".

Here's an arrangement of it for human musicians (it was originally electronically executed) with the added interest of dance...

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Kind of ridiculous when you can be personally destroyed for not voting the way somebody else wants you to vote. Sure you can vote with your dollars and not attend the show, but now you have to broadcast it and get a few million of your like-minded buddies to censor whomever you are against. Not really free speech anymore...

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
...Not really free speech anymore...

The problem is actually the opposite IMO.

There's too much 'free' speech. By 'free', I mean too many people, sharing too much detail about themselves, their personal lives and beliefs with everyone else. Social media is entirely to blame, by providing the mindless billions a little soapbox to stand up on and yell unsubstantiated rubbish on every virtual speaker's street corner.

The trouble is, you can't walk a virtual block without being verbally accosted by yet another faceless clown, appealing to the desperate needs of the unthinking masses to be 'outraged' and to adhere to 'group think'.

Independent thinkers (and there are plenty here) tend to eschew participating in pointless lynchings and angry-mob behaviour on the internet. They are not remotely interested in surfing the fickle wave of public opinion and trending opinions. I swim the other way or simply stay out of the water.

Politically correct, spineless companies are everywhere these days. I don't patronize them because they stand for nothing other than whatever the latest 'crowd sourced knowledge' might be.

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
That Childish Gambino video above; no good. Very bad for adults, kids, teenagers, elders, seniors, families, babies, students, professionals, workers, doctors, bad for everybody. We don't need that type of videos to tell us about America...we see the channel news, Twitter, video games, films, documentaries, real life on streets of violent decadent drug gangs.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That Childish Gambino video above; no good. Very bad for adults, kids, teenagers, elders, seniors, families, babies, students, professionals, workers, doctors, bad for everybody. We don't need that type of videos to tell us about America...we see the channel news, Twitter, video games, films, documentaries, real life on streets of violent decadent drug gangs.
You want to ban protest songs / videos? Or do you only want your violence to be mindless?

I can see why it has lots of views, and I think I only understood about 1% of the points it was making.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
“Freedom makes a huge requirement of every human being. With freedom comes responsibility. For the person who is unwilling to grow up, the person who does not want to carry his own weight, this is a frightening prospect.” Eleanor Roosevelt

The problem for freedom of speech on the internet isn't that people don't have it, or have to much of it, it's that they don't think before they post. This is true for the people who post dumb things, and the people who get all worked up about someone else posting dumb things. I'm not sure if it's reassuring or depressing that it always seems to have been this way.

Wombat

Master Contributor
“Freedom makes a huge requirement of every human being. With freedom comes responsibility. For the person who is unwilling to grow up, the person who does not want to carry his own weight, this is a frightening prospect.” Eleanor Roosevelt

The problem for freedom of speech on the internet isn't that people don't have it, or have to much of it, it's that they don't think before they post. This is true for the people who post dumb things, and the people who get all worked up about someone else posting dumb things. I'm not sure if it's reassuring or depressing that it always seems to have been this way.

Dumb things need to be exposed for what they are. Staying quiet lets them get traction. History is full of silent majority calamities.

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
You want to ban protest songs / videos? Or do you only want your violence to be mindless?

I can see why it has lots of views, and I think I only understood about 1% of the points it was making.

I have no clue why you asked me those two questions in relation to the shooting in the back of the head of that guitar player, zero.

Top Bottom