• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Apple lossless official announcement

BitPerfect_

Sounds great but JRiver, Roon, Audirvana comes with a price that will be added to the Apple Music subscription and it’s computer or laptop dependent.

Zensō

Major Contributor
While Airplay is limited to CD quality, you can use JRiver, Roon or Audirvana software with a laptop computer over UPnP connection to support 192Hz HiRes music wirelessly with the RPi4 using Moode or Ropieee. I prefer this method as HiRes 24/192 music files are not compressed during playback.
We were discussing how to stream Apple Music. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t believe JRiver, Roon, or Audirvana are capable of streaming Apple Music.

mSpot

Possible to bypass this by rooting
After rooting, what music software do you use for bit perfect hi-res playback?

Have you encountered any issues with rooting? Some apps and phones disable features or won't run when they detect a rooted system. An extreme example here.

Airplay will not deliver 24/192 in any configuration. According to a couple of fairly reliable sources, Airplay 2 now maxes out at 24/48, Airplay 1 at 16/44.1.
Actually Airplay will only transmit audio at those two resolutions. If the source isn't 16/44.1 for Airplay 1 or 24/48 for Airplay 2, it will be upsampled or downsampled to make it match.

Zensō

Major Contributor
Actually Airplay will only transmit audio at those two resolutions. If the source isn't 16/44.1 for Airplay 1 or 24/48 for Airplay 2, it will be upsampled or downsampled to make it match.
Can you provide a source for this? There is a lot of conjecture and misinformation floating around about Airplay and if you have an authoritative source I’d like to have it as a reference. Thanks…

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Can you provide a source for this? There is a lot of conjecture and misinformation floating around about Airplay and if you have an authoritative source I’d like to have it as a reference. Thanks…
Search Apple’s site using Google’s site: option. It’s there.

Tom C

Major Contributor
I am able to use https://AppleMusic.com to add the web based Apple Music to JRiver’s section for streaming services, when running on Windows 7 or Win10. You then sign in using your Apple ID.
You need to enable WDM driver on JRiver and then set JRiver as the default audio output device in your Windows Control Panel though, in order to get it to use JRiver’s controls and the DAC’s ASIO driver. Otherwise, even though Apple Music is open and playing within JRiver, Apple Music will bypass JRiver and bypass the windows AISO driver, playing as a windows audio session to the default output device.
Another way to get the same result is to open AppleMusic.com on a web browser, sign in and start streaming, but you still have to have WDM enabled in JRiver, and JRiver set as the default output device for Windows. If you do that, JRiver will handle any sample rate changes automatically for you, and you can easily switch back and forth between other websites (e.g., YouTube).

Tom C

Major Contributor
Yes, there are direct statements in this regard on Apple’s website. They are proud of what they have accomplished with their proprietary AAC codec, and for years resisted making any higher bit rates available from their music library, insisting for at least ten years, I believe, that the differences are inaudible. Much the same has been discussed for several years on this forum.
Yet, somehow, I feel better that lossless and hi res are available to me. Memory is not so very expensive, and I have the bandwidth for streaming video, so why not? I agree, properly set up, most of the time I cannot distinguish AAC from lossless. But a few tracks do sound better to me in lossless. Led Zepplin’s Hey, Hey, What Can I Do? never sounded right to me in AAC. Sort of closed in and lifeless. But in lossless, it’s much more like I remember from my youth when it was fresh and coming over the FM airways. Blind test? Nah, I don’t care that much. If that notion is just my own little fantasy, I’m OK with it.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I've been fine with lossy Spotify for years,
1. I've only thought I heard a diff with lossless a few times but without the setup to do a definitive DBT it never seemed to matter enough to pay the extra $.
2. Then came Apple's Atmos-3D streaming and I couldn't type my credit card numbers in fast enough to subscribe and also purchase a Apple TV 4K box. Now there's a change anyone can appreciate/love. And all for the same lousy $10 I was giving Spotify.
Times are really good for the Hi Fi Guy's & Gal's

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Does anyone here use Apple Music with a surround sound system? Can the Apple TV pass Dolby Atmos content with Apple Music? Can you Airplay things from you phone and have that work? (Spatial Audio is what I'm talking about, which is Apple's name for Atmos.)

DeLub

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
yes

yes

yes, but stereo only. It is possible to control the apple tv from your iphone/ipad/mac, though.

Hmm, so I'd still have to point and click to type out songs and add them to the queue? That's the biggest drawback for me, but as soon as they can fix that an I can do everything from my phone, I'd be sold. Might even buy an iPhone if there's enough good content and they figure out how to make the volume difference go away.

Zensō

Major Contributor
Hmm, so I'd still have to point and click to type out songs and add them to the queue? That's the biggest drawback for me, but as soon as they can fix that an I can do everything from my phone, I'd be sold. Might even buy an iPhone if there's enough good content and they figure out how to make the volume difference go away.
The Apple TV remote control app on the iPhone (or iPad) allows you to type on the device, no need to point and click:

“When the onscreen keyboard appears on Apple TV, a keyboard becomes available in the Apple TV Remote on your iOS or iPadOS device.
  • Enter text in the iOS or iPadOS keyboard.
    The text on your Apple TV screen updates as you type.”

Tom C

Major Contributor
The Apple TV remote control app on the iPhone (or iPad) allows you to type on the device, no need to point and click:

“When the onscreen keyboard appears on Apple TV, a keyboard becomes available in the Apple TV Remote on your iOS or iPadOS device.
  • Enter text in the iOS or iPadOS keyboard.
    The text on your Apple TV screen updates as you type.”
What he said

Tom C

Major Contributor
AppleTV comes with a remote. But if you are on the same network with a handheld (iPad or iPhone), at home, there’s an option in what Apple calls Control Center where you can use your handheld as a remote for AppleTV. Uses WiFi, so no pointing. Don’t even have to be in the same room.
When using things this way, you can hardwire AppleTV to your AVR with an HDMI cable. The content available in Apple Music as Spatial will play as 5.1 or 7.1 or 9.1, etc., however it is you’ve set your system up. The source of the music files can be what’s stored on your phone or iPad, but doesn’t have to be. Usually, your just streaming Apple Music via AppleTV, and simply controlling with your handheld.
You can Airplay, but why do that when Cupertino gives you hardwire lossless in however many channels you care to run?

Tom C

Major Contributor
OK. It just dawned on me that someone may be thinking that Apple Music and Apple TV are separate services. Well, they are, but the words get in the way…
Apple Music is an app in iOS and Mac OS, but the same word is used for a service for streaming music, available in limited forms on other OS platforms, and as a web based service.
Apple TV can mean an app, or a service for streaming video content, or a piece of hardware. The Apple TV hardware device can run any number of apps, including Apple Music. If you subscribe to Apple Music streaming service, you can use the Apple Music app to play music on any Apple device, including Apple TV.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
OK. It just dawned on me that someone may be thinking that Apple Music and Apple TV are separate services. Well, they are, but the words get in the way…
Apple Music is an app in iOS and Mac OS, but the same word is used for a service for streaming music, available in limited forms on other OS platforms, and as a web based service.
Apple TV can mean an app, or a service for streaming video content, or a piece of hardware. The Apple TV hardware device can run any number of apps, including Apple Music. If you subscribe to Apple Music streaming service, you can use the Apple Music app to play music on any Apple device, including Apple TV.

The App is actually called “TV”, not “Apple TV”, and the video service is called “Apple TV+“. The nuance is small and confusion, but it’s there.

Otherwise, same goes for Disney+, Spotify and Netflix etc. Apps have the same name as the service. Nothing strange about that.

spiritofjerry

Apple doesn't even support Apt-X HD or LDAC for bluetooth music streaming, in their opinion AAC is enough (or Airplay for lossless over Wifi).

Which is rich, being that they hosed the 3.5mm jack in favor of Bluetooth, but now are introducing lossless audio on their platform. On the other hand, their dongles are alright!

Top Bottom