• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Apple lossless official announcement

StevenEleven

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Is that from apple devices too? (cast to chromecast)

On my iPad I can stream to my Sonos speaker via either Airplay or Chromecast (I’m lying in bed going back and forth between the two right now). :)

I’ve streamed using my iPad with Amazon music to chromecast audio device and chromecast a/v device and chromecast built-in devices.

I can also stream using iPad to Apple TV or other airplay compatible devices.

For me, Airplay gives a smoother and more reliable and stable experience than chromecast when both are available in any particular situation, FWIW. YMMV & etc.

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
On my iPad I can stream to my Sonos speaker via either Airplay or Chromecast (I’m lying in bed going back and forth between the two right now). :)

I’ve streamed using my iPad with Amazon music to chromecast audio device and chromecast a/v device and chromecast built-in devices.

I can also stream using iPad to Apple TV or other airplay compatible devices.

For me, Airplay gives a smoother and more reliable and stable experience than chromecast when both are available in any particular situation, FWIW. YMMV & etc.
Good to know. Apple music can't be chromecast from an apple device so I wondered how amazon had worked out.

Zensō

Major Contributor
Just FYI, only tangentially related to the current topic. I ran the RME bit test this morning to check the output of my iPad Pro via USB. I expected it to be bit perfect, but had never actually run the test. It passed at every level from 16/44.1 up to 24/192. It’s ready for hi-res Apple Music. Now, if only my ears were up to the task. :)

F6AAD403-B77D-4470-8905-0A3EAFB68363.jpeg

Last edited:

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Just FYI, only tangentially related to the current topic. I ran the RME bit test this morning to check the output of my iPad Pro via USB. I expected it to be bit perfect, but had never actually run the test. It passed at every level from 16/44.1 up to 24/192. It’s ready for hi-res Apple Music.

View attachment 131343

I tried plugging in my poor mans RME, the Qudelix 5K to my iphone via lightning to USB type C cable and it didn't recognize it as a headphone :/

was a little disappointed.

Zensō

Major Contributor

mSpot

Good to know. Apple music can't be chromecast from an apple device so I wondered how amazon had worked out.
There is an SDK for integrating Chromecast into iOS apps. Tidal, Qobuz, and Amazon have incorporated it into their iOS apps but not Apple Music. The developer specifies how Chromecast connects with the server, and apparently Amazon have made it connect to their non-HD API.

BTW, Chromecast doesn't support gapless playback and it isn't ideal anyway.

hmscott

So, apparently Apple is going to "unlock" the Hi-Res capabilities always there in all iPhones / iPads / Macintoshes, but locked away from paying Apple customers, because why?

Gee, I sure hope Apple unlocks Blu-Ray media content playback too :eek:o_O:cool:

So, these are the Hi-Res tidbits of interest:
  • Tap Lossless to turn it on or off. From here, you can choose the audio quality for streaming and downloading audio.
    • Lossless for a maximum resolution of 24-bit/48 kHz
    • Hi-Res Lossless for a maximum resolution of 24-bit/192 kHz
About lossless audio in Apple Music - Apple Support
What you need to know about lossless in Apple Music
  • Streaming lossless audio over a cellular or Wi-Fi network consumes significantly more data. And downloading lossless audio uses significantly more space on your device. Higher resolutions use more data than lower ones.
  • AirPods, AirPods Pro, AirPods Max, and Beats wireless headphones use Apple AAC Bluetooth Codec to ensure excellent audio quality. However, Bluetooth connections aren't lossless.
  • To get a lossless version of music that you already downloaded from Apple Music, just delete the music and redownload it from the Apple Music catalog.
spacer.png

How to listen to lossless on your iPhone or iPad

What you need
You can listen to lossless on an iPhone or iPad updated to iOS or iPadOS 14.6 using:
  • A wired connection to headphones, receivers, or powered speakers
  • The built-in speakers
  • To listen to songs at sample rates higher than 48 kHz, you need an external digital-to-analog converter.
How to turn lossless on or off
  1. Go to Settings > Music.
  2. Tap Audio Quality.
  3. Tap Lossless to turn it on or off. From here, you can choose the audio quality for streaming and downloading audio.
      spacer.png
How to listen to lossless on your Mac

What you need
You can listen to lossless on a Mac updated to macOS 11.4 using:
  • The built-in speakers
  • To listen to songs at sample rates higher than 48 kHz, you need an external digital-to-analog converter.
  1. Open the Apple Music app.
  2. In the menu bar, choose Music > Preferences.
  3. Click the Playback tab.
  4. Under Audio Quality, select or unselect Lossless to turn it on or off. From here, you can also change the settings for streaming and downloading lossless.
How generous of Apple to finally allow paying customers access to a bit more of the hardware facilities locked away... I wonder when Apple is going to unlock the Full capabilities? Perhaps up to and beyond 32 bit / 768khz - or whatever the actual full capacity of the hardware Apple owners paid for, when is that going to be unlocked Apple??

This seems like a good time for a Class Action Lawsuit for Compensation to all of the decades of previous Apple hardware owners that lost full function of their hardware because Apple arbitrarily locked it all away.

Perhaps even a Class Action Lawsuit with Compensation, *and* to enforce Apple to fully unlock the Digital Audio capabilities of their current and legacy iPhone/iPad/Macintosh hardware?

Hey, it could happen ;)

Last edited:

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So, apparently Apple is going to "unlock" the Hi-Res capabilities always there in all iPhones / iPads / Macintoshes, but locked away from paying Apple customers, because why?

How generous of Apple to finally allow paying customers access to a bit more of the hardware facilities locked away... I wonder when Apple is going to unlock the Full capabilities? Perhaps up to and beyond 32 bit / 768khz - or whatever the actual full capacity of the hardware Apple owners paid for, when is that going to be unlocked Apple??

This seems like a good time for a Class Action Lawsuit for Compensation to all of the decades of previous Apple hardware owners that lost full function of their hardware because Apple arbitrarily locked it all away.

Perhaps even a Class Action Lawsuit with Compensation, *and* to enforce Apple to fully unlock the Digital Audio capabilities of their current and legacy iPhone/iPad/Macintosh hardware?

Hey, it could happen ;)

No, you are mistaken, for several reasons:
  • The linked Apple document - and all their PR on this impending change - clearly states that in the case of iPhones and iPads, "To listen to songs at sample rates higher than 48 kHz, you need an external digital-to-analog converter."
  • Lossless playback, through modern Macs and iPhones/iPads, has always been possible, and easily so, using iTunes/Music app.
  • High-res playback has also always been possible through Macs using iTunes/Music app, by setting the bit depth and sample rate accordingly via the Apple Audio MIDI Setup Utility, included with all Macs.
  • High-res playback up to 24/48 has also always been natively supported in iPhones and iPads using iTunes/Music app.
  • And high-res playback/output beyond 24/48 has been available on iPhones and iPads (to varying degrees) using third party apps and/or certain Apple accessories (like the Camera Connection Kit).
The only new capabilities being introduced here are:
  1. Lossless and high-res specifically through the Apple Music subscription service; and
  2. High-res output beyond 48kHz from iPhones and iPads to external DACs, using the standard Apple Music app and standard digital output with no dongle needed.

This is no way, shape, or form an "unlocking" of existing capabilities on devices that have been conspiratorily hobbled for years and years prior to now. That's silly.

mSpot

Hi-Res capabilities have not been "locked away" on iPhones / iPads / Mac. It has been possible to play Qobuz, Tidal, Amazon, and hi-res files.

• Tap Lossless to turn it on or off. From here, you can choose the audio quality for streaming and downloading audio.
That's inside the Apple Music app. Doesn't reflect on the capabilities of the device.

hmscott

Gee, I sure hope Apple unlocks Blu-Ray media content playback too :eek:o_O:cool:

About lossless audio in Apple Music - Apple Support
What you need to know about lossless in Apple Music
  • Streaming lossless audio over a cellular or Wi-Fi network consumes significantly more data. And downloading lossless audio uses significantly more space on your device. Higher resolutions use more data than lower ones.
  • AirPods, AirPods Pro, AirPods Max, and Beats wireless headphones use Apple AAC Bluetooth Codec to ensure excellent audio quality. However, Bluetooth connections aren't lossless.
  • To get a lossless version of music that you already downloaded from Apple Music, just delete the music and redownload it from the Apple Music catalog.
spacer.png

How to listen to lossless on your iPhone or iPad

What you need
You can listen to lossless on an iPhone or iPad updated to iOS or iPadOS 14.6 using:
  • The built-in speakers
  1. Go to Settings > Music.
  2. Tap Audio Quality.
  3. Tap Lossless to turn it on or off. From here, you can choose the audio quality for streaming and downloading audio.
      spacer.png
How to listen to lossless on your Mac

What you need
You can listen to lossless on a Mac updated to macOS 11.4 using:
  • The built-in speakers
  1. Open the Apple Music app.
  2. In the menu bar, choose Music > Preferences.
  3. Click the Playback tab.
  4. Under Audio Quality, select or unselect Lossless to turn it on or off. From here, you can also change the settings for streaming and downloading lossless.

Hey, it could happen ;)

Hi-Res capabilities have not been "locked away" on iPhones / iPads / Mac. It has been possible to play Qobuz, Tidal, Amazon, and hi-res files.

That's inside the Apple Music app. Doesn't reflect on the capabilities of the device.
Apple locked away the hardware capabilities that have always been there, and have now unlocked them, with software.

An iOS and MacOS change + App changes to reflect the additional capabilities, now unlocked, by software. Maybe firmware upgrades?

There has been no >48khz/96khz USB support before now, we had to use optical or coax if available for 176khz/192khz, or add it via 3rd party hardware (see link below, optical/coax via TB3/USB4 external dock), and even then the Apple Software only supported 48khz/96khz playback, or less if you were using the Apple Music Streaming, and you didn't own the music:
The difference between Apple Music Paid Music streaming and Free Music Streaming
Paid:
Screen Shot 2020-12-25 at 9.28.39 PM.png

Free - UNKOWN Bitrate :)
Screen Shot 2020-12-25 at 9.47.55 PM.png
How else did you expect Apple was going to unlock the Hi-Res capabilities that have always been there in the Apple hardware?, other than with software changes?

Here is what we had to use before Apple decided to "upgrade" our hardware:
Play high sample rate digital audio on Mac computers - Apple Support

The audio hardware in some MacBook Pro, Mac Pro, and iMac computers supports 176.4 kHz and 192 kHz digital audio when connected using optical output.

These computers support up to 192 kHz sample rate for audio playback:

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013) through MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015)
MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013) through MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015)
iMac (21.5-inch, Mid 2014) through iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2014)
iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, Late 2015)
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014) through iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015)
Mac Pro (Late 2013)
Mac mini (Late 2014)
To set your Mac to play high sample rate audio:

Connect one end of a TOSLINK optical cable to the headphone port on your Mac, and connect the other end to your audio device, such as an AV receiver.
Open Audio MIDI Setup, which is in the Utilities folder of your Applications folder.
Select your audio device from the list on the left side of the Audio Devices window.
If necessary, choose “Use this device for sound output” from the Action pop-up menu .
Select a sample rate, such as 176400.0 Hz or 192000.0 Hz, from the Format pop-up menu.
If the audio hardware in your Mac doesn't support high sample rate audio, you can use a third-party digital audio interface.

Some of the Apple hardware should be able to support >192khz, when is that going to be Fully unlocked?...

Before that, how about Apple stops impeding us non-iPhone users that simply want to pick and choose hardware between iOS/MacOS and Android/Windows/Linux, and not be force us to buy an iPhone simply to verify our AppleID's??

New Apple M1 Macbook Air, M1 Macbook Pro, and M1 Mac Mini - Audio

But, "if you have an iPhone I'm sure the problem will stop happening because then we can be "sure" you are you"... an actual statement by Apple Security Support...is there anyone higher in the authority chain that can help me, "nope, we are it.". Fantabulous. So, I called back and got an RMA number, and I returned my Apple Macbook Pro M1.

And, it's not just me...and it's not just people without iPhones... how many are simply suffering in silence?

Apple ID keeps getting locked - Apple Community
Apple ID keeps getting locked - Google Search

Wow, check this one out:
Apple disabling an entire Apple ID over an Apple Card payment issue is madness | iMore

Who has time to put up with that poor level of customer service from any company? Why put up with that from Apple?

Last edited:

hmscott

I can stream Qobuz 24-bit/192kHz on USB audio output from my MacBook Pro to my DAC. I can even play a 24-bit/352.8kHz FLAC file on Roon and output to USB from my Mac. Your assertion about Apple "locking" hardware capabilities is simply not true.
I got it, perhaps things have changed since I last used new hardware?

What Apple hardware are you using? What is your OS release info?

What external indication says that the full bitrate made it through to the external device?

I've seen others say the same thing and when they went to check the actual throughput that made it out to their external device, it was 48khz/96khz.

Please double-check. :)

I think you can also see it through Mac Info, in the About Macintosh hardware info. It shows the active device parameters.

That is why we used optical and coax outputs to get 176khz/192khz output. :)

Last edited:

Zensō

Major Contributor
I got it, perhaps things have changed since I last used new hardware?

What Apple hardware are you using?

What external indication says that the full bitrate made it through to the external device?

I've seen others say the same thing and when they went to check the actual throughput that made it out to their external device, it was 48khz/96khz.

Please double-check. :)

I think you can also see it through Mac Info, in the About Macintosh hardware info. It shows the active device parameters.

That is why we used optical and coax outputs to get 176khz/192khz. :)
Here’s 24/192 streamed to my RME via USB. I get the same bit perfect results streaming from either my 2019 iPad Pro or my 2019 MacBook Pro.
47219A56-2039-4230-8E40-84603BA3036D.jpeg

Last edited:

Raindog123

Major Contributor
Four different iDevices I have - iPhone 6, iPhone 8, iPad Mini 2nd gen, and iPad 8th gen - all output up to 24/192 through its Lightning port (which is essentially a USB) to four different brands/models of USB DACs. Do it either through Qobuz or Tidal streaming apps, or as a Roon end-device running Roon app. Worked like this for years.

Last edited:
Top Bottom