• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Apple lossless official announcement

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
are you for real? or is this trolling?

I'm serious, the jump between 30Hz and 60Hz is mindblowing, 60Hz to 120Hz a little less but still smoother nonetheless.

I am not trolling you at all. I saw this based on all the prior technology that Apple refrained from implementing because of singular obsession with efficiency. As far as their 5g reciever's go, that's going to get a dramatic uptick in efficiency and functionality with their own designs now that they dont rely on Intel.

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
are you for real? or is this trolling?

I'm serious, the jump between 30Hz and 60Hz is mindblowing, 60Hz to 120Hz a little less but still smoother nonetheless.
I also don't understand the benefits. As someone who uses a mobile 'phone for making telephone calls, I don't see what benefit there is. Perhaps for watching movies on a train, but I prefer to read a book.

S

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I also don't understand the benefits. As someone who uses a mobile 'phone for making telephone calls, I don't see what benefit there is. Perhaps for watching movies on a train, but I prefer to read a book.

S
The benefits of 120hz really are only noticeble when gaming which Apple is slowly trying to claw it's way into with Apple Arcade.

GeorgeBynum

What is the benefit of this? Given the choice of 30 or 60 Hz refresh videos I can't see any difference (other than file size) why would I need more?
Serious question, though I am never going to use a phone to watch anything.
I agree, but my grandkids consume video, including movies, on their phones. Perhaps we old guyz can learn from the babes? Perhaps SOME want to?

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Real question.
I am not into video.
The difference isn't enough for me to bother about on the odd video I have watched, to me.
I am talking about a 27" computer monitor though
It's not for video, it's for everything else on the phone, games, web use, animations, the idea is to remove a slight lack of smoothness, e.g. scrolling a web page fast, 60hz isn't quite high enough to fool the human eye that it's infinitely smooth. It's not the end of the world, more a case of phone manufacturers running out of things to improve. It's more like the old CRT refresh rate problem, but for content not flicker, you can safely ignore it.

norcalscott

Forum Donor
I imagine I could list 1001+ examples of snakeoilism that are of n+1 magnitude greater than beats.
Compared to the headphones I was using with my dc2 Walkman in the late 80’s I would have chewed my left arm off to get something as good sounding as beats, beats introduced a vast amount of users to the idea of paying extra for headphones, this is ultimately a good thing and not to be confused with headphone elitism

You could have just purchased a pair of Koss Porta Pros for $25 and saved chewing off your arm.

And, we all know here that because the first Beats headphones were really expensive that the sound quality HAD to be great :facepalm:

Zensō

Major Contributor
What is the benefit of this? Given the choice of 30 or 60 Hz refresh videos I can't see any difference (other than file size) why would I need more?
Serious question, though I am never going to use a phone to watch anything.
Smoother scrolling and swiping on touch devices.

Zensō

Major Contributor
I had the thought that folks here saying the differences between 30hz, 60hz, and 120hz refresh rates don't matter are a bit like non-audiophiles saying the differences between 160kbps, 320kbps, and 1,44kbps audio don't matter. :) I guess we all have different things that are important to each of us.

Somafunk

Major Contributor
You could have just purchased a pair of Koss Porta Pros for $25 and saved chewing off your arm.

I did have Koss Porta pro headphones, as ive posted about on another thread.

cochlea

Forum Donor
My first CDRom was an external, 1x speed monstrosity that cost $899 and was connected to my 286pc with a SCSI cable so thick you could pull a trailer with it.

valerianf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Apple is following Amazon music HD : both of them are using Dolby Atmos encoding.
There is a high probabilty that it will become the standard for music recording.
Good bye to the CD audio format (16 bits 44.1khz stereo).

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
All I want for Christmas is Spotify Lossless w/ Atmos, and their Linux desktop app that functions with both.
Please Santa, I'ver been a really good boy this year. :D

DavidMcRoy

I tried TIDAL and Qobuz and kept Qobuz, but that company’s North American service is still suffering teething pains with associated apps that are broken (like Chromcast), skipping and dropouts during playback, crashes etc. For me, Apple Music works like a vintage refrigerator: it never hiccups. Lossless on top of that will be great. (No, my problem isn’t bandwidth related. We can stream 4K video with no problems and our speed is a few hundred Mbps.)

Jhify

No extra charge???? What??? Hahaha .... HAHAHAHA!!!! (let's wait and see that).

I wouldn't be surprise they keep the pricing as is. Apple softwares and services have always been reasonably priced and great value. Icloud, logic pro, final cut, etc. They make profit from selling hardware the high price to access to this environnement. I kept buying macs even when they were the atrocious overpriced heating machine we hated because I couldn't work with any other DAW than logic pro. Thank god M1 came along.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
But the real old ones are Pong on the TV

The first TV game I had, I built (around 1976/77 when I was about 10yo) from a PCB and parts using the AY-3-8500 chip. It had Practice, Pong, Soccer, Squash and two LDR based Rifle games (skeet and something else). B&W with an onboard can RF modulator. I still have it someplace.

1621552372601.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AY-3-8500

This is the design, the "rifle" for skeet shooting was made with a plastic tube and pushbutton on it. You had to be really near the TV screen for it to register a shot.

1621552885754.png

Last edited:

The Lazy Geek

Query on Apple Music Casting Through Google Chromecast

Currently Chromecast Audio supports Apple Music casting through its Android app only. So, we do have a solution like Spotify Connect but not through iOS. ,

Here are my questions on this route:

a. Are there good streamers which support Chromecast? I’ve seen a cheap Xiaomi Mi Box - reviewed on Darko - which has a Chromecast option and optical out. Chromecast Audio is discontinued now.

b. Is Chromecast possible on a raspberry pi?

c. Chromecast does not support ALAC. https://developers.google.com/cast/docs/media

So, will Apple Lossless work on Chromecast or will it remain AAC (lossy 256 kbps) ? Which other formats can Apple stream to a Chromecast device?

d. Google Chromecast TV supports Atmos.
https://www.tomsguide.com/reviews/chromecast-with-google-tv

Does this mean that we can use it to cast Apple Music Dolby Atmos streams using its Android app?

I’ve seen no information on this so far and posting these questions here to benefit from the knowledge of this community.

DavidMcRoy

I wouldn't be surprise they keep the pricing as is. Apple softwares and services have always been reasonably priced and great value. Icloud, logic pro, final cut, etc. They make profit from selling hardware the high price to access to this environnement. I kept buying macs even when they were the atrocious overpriced heating machine we hated because I couldn't work with any other DAW than logic pro. Thank god M1 came along.

The press release says pricing is unchanged, no extra charge for lossless or immersive (Dolby Atmos, etc.)

Top Bottom