• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Apple lossless official announcement

blueone

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
MacOS and Windows are essentially on par at this point, both having borrowed features from the other for decades. The same can be said for iOS and Android. I hope you’re not still typing MS-DOS commands! ;)

MacOS and Windows couldn't be more different. Windows has a touchscreen interface, so your display always looks like you haven't washed your hands in a long time, or you drool and pick your nose a lot.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So this apple lossless will it have Star Wars released in 70mm (uncompressed audio) six-track Dolby Stereo A-type so that we can all get a flashback that we have all been begging for last 25 years. ... I think somehow Not. appel can shove their fruit up its .... :eek: I couldn't care less about that evil company or windows evil company they both parasites.
It's my understanding that you can't get the original, unaltered release of the movie Star Wars unless you are into Laser Disk. Now, I could be wrong, just ask my wife. She will tell you that, yes, I have been wrong before. I, of course, feel like 'I thought that I was wrong once BUT I was mistaken'.

oryan_dunn

It's my understanding that you can't get the original, unaltered release of the movie Star Wars unless you are into Laser Disk. Now, I could be wrong, just ask my wife. She will tell you that, yes, I have been wrong before. I, of course, feel like 'I thought that I was wrong once BUT I was mistaken'.
They actually did release the unaltered versions on DVD, but they were basically a DVD transfer of the Laser Disk. You probably already know, but the Harmy remasters are where it's at. I think he's working on a 4k version.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They actually did release the unaltered versions on DVD, but they were basically a DVD transfer of the Laser Disk. You probably already know, but the Harmy remasters are where it's at. I think he's working on a 4k version.
Was out of the USA living on islands in the Indian Ocean and the Western Pacific (between 14 degrees S of the Equator & 15 degrees N of the Equator from 2001-2018. During that time I ran into the Laser Disk stuff at a Karaoke Club in Sasebo, Japan. The information that you have provided is new to me and I will check it out. Thank you.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Can't you just click on the first song listed right under the shuffle button and it will play the songs in the album order?
Are you on the Spotify support team? That’s exactly what they said. Yes it works.. and it’s totally stupid and counterintuitive. Ever seen a CD player that only does shuffle when you press play, and only plays the full album if you press track 1? :facepalm:

Zensō

Major Contributor
Are you on the Spotify support team? That’s exactly what they said. Yes it works.. and it’s totally stupid and counterintuitive. Ever seen a CD player that only does shuffle when you press play, and only plays the full album if you press track 1? :facepalm:
Agreed. It’s hard to imagine what they were thinking, and how it got through user testing. Such a weird choice.

ENG

Forum Donor
Apple is going lossless. How to use it with your gear? And Airplay drain your iPhone/iPad and you don´t want that.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
You bringing back old memories lol

I always had a standard autoexec.bat and config.sys, just tweaked for the CDROM drivers, soundcards etc. Those were the days eh?

There was always the catch-22 of needing the CDROM driver to load the driver/files that were on the CD.

Favourite file management program back then was X-Tree Gold! Remember that?

1621490972441.png

chris719

I always had a standard autoexec.bat and config.sys, just tweaked for the CDROM drivers, soundcards etc. Those were the days eh?

There was always the catch-22 of needing the CDROM driver to load the driver/files that were on the CD.

Favourite file management program back then was X-Tree Gold! Remember that?

View attachment 130798

Some ASPI sys for the Adaptec SCSI card in config.sys. MSCDEX.EXE in the autoexec.

Had a Sony 1x caddy loader CD-ROM in 1990. Played lots of Lucasarts Loom.

Pennyless Audiophile

I really like Tidal and I dislike the Apple entrapment/ecosystem model. That doesn't mean that I don't acknowledge the technical prowess of Apple; however, I will never be herded into their gilded cage. When you evaluate the arguments for Apple adherence, really, it isn't actually about technical advantage as much as it is about marketing and an over-selling of very minimal advantages, creating a perception of significant benefit. First and foremost, Apple is a marketing innovator, and a highly successful one to say the least.

There is ZERO chance that in level matched, blind listening tests that anything from Apple music will sound better. Tidal, as one example has fantastic user interfaces (or at least I think so). I found Apple music dreadful, and their mind numbing insistence on thinking for me was exhausting. Depending on ones taste, Tidal has a fabulous catalogue and Tidal has consistently tried to deliver a solid experience. Sure, MQA is a misstep, but many people have jumped aboard that (hopefully) sinking ship.

I mostly agree with you and it is the reason why I keep staying away from Apple. I could say what you say for TIDAL for Qobuz, which is my streaming service of choice.

Katji

Major Contributor
Apple is going lossless. How to use it with your gear? And Airplay drain your iPhone/iPad and you don´t want that.
Apple Music Android app.
Apple Music website on Windows and Linux computers.

Katji

Major Contributor
Simple. Add a "Tidal" label at the bottom and don't draw a bar (it would be less than a pixel high).

The chart is revenue, not profit.
I thought of using a black line just thick enough to be visible. Then I just went on to think about looking again for a pie chart showing market share of music streaming services that is not so "Western-centric". ...To put Spotify in better perspective. Never mind Tidal, it is usually not shown anyway, it falls into "Other."

Top Bottom