• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Apple lossless official announcement

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Tim Link

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I like the idea of uncompressed or lossless streaming files on Apple Music even though I doubt I can really detect the difference in a double blind test. I suspect it'll have good placebo effect on me.

Bob-23

Apple is simply great, in so many regards: overworked and underpayed suicidal Foxconn-workers, extensive child labour extracting coltan in Kongo (killing of very rare eastern gorillas included), highly inventive tax practices, first in mastery in glueing devices together, most irrepairable devices, perfectly well planned obscolescence, exorbitant management salaries and exorbitant profit rates - and overall: the truest believers of all religious communities. [1]

There's just a tiny, so ordinary spot:
"Apple’s products take value from dirt, blood, sweat, and tears you don’t see on its clean, white packaging. They take value from human aches, pains, and fatigue."[2]

"Kyle Wiens, CEO of iFixit, which does electronics teardowns and sells repair tools and parts, told Motherboard that AirPods are “evil.” According to the headphones review team at Rtings.com, AirPods are "below-average" in terms of sound quality. According to people on every social media platform, AirPods are a display of wealth." [2]

Louis Rossman knows apple products 'cause he's repairing them - his view on apple is not fully positive: "The horrible truth about Apple's repeated engineering failures." [3]

I must admit, apple is too hip for me, I'd be ashamed running around with their stuff on or in my ears.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_Apple_Inc.#

[2] https://www.vice.com/en/article/neaz3d/airpods-are-a-tragedy

[3]

Last edited:

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Apple is simply great, in so many regards: overworked and underpayed suicidal Foxconn-workers, extensive child labour extracting coltan in Kongo (killing of very rare eastern gorillas included), highly inventive tax practices, first in mastery in glueing devices together, most irrepairable devices, perfectly well planned obscolescence, exorbitant management salaries and exorbitant profit rates - and overall: the truest believers of all religious communities. [1]

There's just a tiny, so ordinary spot:
"Apple’s products take value from dirt, blood, sweat, and tears you don’t see on its clean, white packaging. They take value from human aches, pains, and fatigue."[2]

"Kyle Wiens, CEO of iFixit, which does electronics teardowns and sells repair tools and parts, told Motherboard that AirPods are “evil.” According to the headphones review team at Rtings.com, AirPods are "below-average" in terms of sound quality. According to people on every social media platform, AirPods are a display of wealth." [2]

Louis Rossman knows apple products 'cause he's repairing them: "The horrible truth about Apple's repeated engineering failures." [3]

I must admit, apple is too hip for me, I'd be ashamed running around with their stuff on or in my ears.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_Apple_Inc.#

[2] https://www.vice.com/en/article/neaz3d/airpods-are-a-tragedy

[3]

Pretty much majority of tech companies are "evil" and that criticism can be applied to a vicious cycle of consumerism and targeted behavior by mega conglomerates that pushed disposable products even in technology. There is no conscious effort by any of the big companies to be fair in capitalism.

Lets not derail this thread from the topic of Apple's offering and the topic related to audio products.

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Question for the sake of discussion: if we are going to "standardize" on Dolby Atmos for musical reproduction, what are the options for someone who can't afford an Atmos system? Are we all going to end up listening with earphones?

Atmos should be able to handle downmixing to stereo just fine. As I understand it, whether you have a 7.1 system or a 16.1 system, Atmos uses the channels available and renders the audio how it should sound with as many channels as you have. Since the audio is object based, if you have an instrument playing over your head, it should play softly though both front speakers, or if you have a set of four speakers on the ceiling it should play a bit louder through those. If it moves, then it adjusts the sound coming to each of the speakers.

Jim Yakkey

How to listen to Atmos?

The future at Apple is most likely ambient computing. To this end AR glasses and Homepods will eventually work together to make sounds and visuals just another layer of your everyday perception. With a few Homepods placed around your room and a pair of AR glasses on, sounds and visuals will just seem to show up wherever your app wants to place them. Other than the glasses, you'll no longer need to be in physical contact with your devices to do most computing. Atmos is perfect for this.

I fully expect Apple to roll their Homepod room-sensing technology into self-callibrating speakers you can place around your room for fully immersive audio. You buy as many Homepod Mini 2s as you want, put them wherever it's convenient, and they automatically figure out how to render the sound in that room. Before they get that far, I'll bet they get Atmos music working to some extent on current Homepod Minis.

A Surfer

Major Contributor
I really like Tidal and I dislike the Apple entrapment/ecosystem model. That doesn't mean that I don't acknowledge the technical prowess of Apple; however, I will never be herded into their gilded cage. When you evaluate the arguments for Apple adherence, really, it isn't actually about technical advantage as much as it is about marketing and an over-selling of very minimal advantages, creating a perception of significant benefit. First and foremost, Apple is a marketing innovator, and a highly successful one to say the least.

There is ZERO chance that in level matched, blind listening tests that anything from Apple music will sound better. Tidal, as one example has fantastic user interfaces (or at least I think so). I found Apple music dreadful, and their mind numbing insistence on thinking for me was exhausting. Depending on ones taste, Tidal has a fabulous catalogue and Tidal has consistently tried to deliver a solid experience. Sure, MQA is a misstep, but many people have jumped aboard that (hopefully) sinking ship.

AudioSQ

"But don't suboptimize"? So, what about that big play button that only lets you play an album in shuffle mode :facepalm: It seems to be the bane of many Spotify users, yet they refuse to change or at least make it user-configurable.
Can't you just click on the first song listed right under the shuffle button and it will play the songs in the album order?

Sharpi31

Forum Donor
When you evaluate the arguments for Apple adherence, really, it isn't actually about technical advantage as much as it is about marketing and an over-selling of very minimal advantages, creating a perception of significant benefit. First and foremost, Apple is a marketing innovator, and a highly successful one to say the least.

Apple create extremely good graphical user interfaces - that isn’t a minimal advantage.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Apple create extremely good graphical user interfaces - that isn’t a minimal advantage.

To me, Apple interfaces are like Fisher Price toys. They are dumbed down to the point of stupidity. But I'm from the old skool physical dial/button era.

Sharpi31

Forum Donor
To me, Apple interfaces are like Fisher Price toys. They are dumbed down to the point of stupidity. But I'm from the old skool physical dial/button era.

I get your point, but it depends on the target user group and use cases. Most users want to check Facebook, IM, email and browse the web - iOS is suitably dumbed down to deliver that experience in a simple, intuitive (and stable) way. To me, Apple are doing the best job of serving up the easy experience to the mass market. There are of course more technical users looking for a less ‘constrained’ experience (myself included) but that’s not Apple‘s focus, as it‘s a smaller section of their potential customer base.

Zensō

Major Contributor
MacOS and Windows are essentially on par at this point, both having borrowed features from the other for decades. The same can be said for iOS and Android. I hope you’re not still typing MS-DOS commands! ;)

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I hope you’re not still typing MS-DOS commands!

I do spend a bit of time out on the command prompt actually. ;)

Do you remember the MSDOS system killer? Obviously doesn't work in W10...
1621466913607.png

Top Bottom