• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Apple lossless official announcement

Blaspheme

Yes, I’ve tested for bit perfect playback from the iPad; it passed at all rates.

Correct regarding remote control. Switch Control is not a great solution. Personally, I don’t see a need for remote controlling a device with such a good touch interface. I usually only use remotes on devices that are difficult to control otherwise.
Switch control is an accessibility feature, intended to solve a different problem. You can use the Remote.app to control playback from a Mac or iPad with another iPad (I think) or iPhone (I tried this) on the same wi-fi network. I'd agree it makes less sense to control an iPad that way, but I'd find it quite handy to control a Mac. A side issue may be that there's no CCK for Mac as far as I know, but if the Benchmark guys are cool with Apple's upsampling, I'll set it and forget it that way too.

Last edited:

leonidas

My understanding is evolving, but I think that to get the full “Apple Spatial Audio” effect, as opposed to just “Dolby Atmos,” you need a headphone/earpiece equipped with a gyro or some such to determine in which direction your head is facing at any given moment, in order for the system to creat the illusion that the soundstage appears to remain fixed in space as your head moves about. This suggests to me that the 2-channel signal is altered based on feedback from the sensor built into the headphone, something conventional headphones don’t have?

That’s true for spatial audio in movies and tv shows that support Dolby Atmos, but not for spatial audio in Apple Music. That’s why also the 1st gen Airpods work and they are not equipped with a gyro.

Exeptions are music videos within Apple Music as they also support the gyro thing, other than “pure“ music.

dmac6419

Major Contributor
Do you have a catalogue comparison handy? I’m genuinely curious. I picked three albums I knew were remixed in Atmos - 2 because I own the Blu-Rays, one because they released a video-augmented version on iTunes - that I could not find on Tidal.
Don't need a catalog, there is nothing magical about Apple,seems like Apple is combining Dolby Atmos and Sony 360 reality into one and calling it Atmos spacial,all 70 million track's on Apple can't Atmos spacial,they could try but most track's won't sound good.

Last edited:

vhild§

My iPhone X won’t talk to Topping D30 or Pro-Ject Head Box S2 Digital, it only works with Dragonfly Cobalt. This is because iPhone doesn’t accept devices that draw too much current. So any old usb dac + iOS device won’t make it, killing Apple Music for me.

As I stated earlier in the thread, Darko completely skipped over an obvious solution, whether purposely or in ignorance. If a person wants to stream bit-perfect Apple Music Lossless and Hi-res, any iOS device plugged into a USB DAC will do that for you with zero complications or confusion. An entry-level iPad makes an excellent dedicated streamer when used in this way.

View attachment 134806

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My iPhone X won’t talk to Topping D30 or Pro-Ject Head Box S2 Digital, it only works with Dragonfly Cobalt. This is because iPhone doesn’t accept devices that draw too much current. So any old usb dac + iOS device won’t make it, killing Apple Music for me.

Topping D30 is bus powered? what a let down in 2021.

Zensō

Major Contributor

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Don't need a catalog,

How embarrassing for you.

The question wasn’t “may I please rant fanatically about how much Apple sucks based on what seems like an incorrect interpretation of an announcement of a future feature?” The question was “who has more Atmos content right now, Apple or Tidal?” Perhaps you’ve never heard of “Abbey Road,” but it’s kind of a thing. The immersive mix is such a further improvement that I paid around a hundred bucks for the “Deluxe” set with the Atmos mix on Blu Ray Audio, and consider that great value.

I pointed out three known Atmos mixes currently available on Apple but not Tidal. Perhaps there are Atmos mixes on Tidal that Apple doesn’t have?

My hope is Apple’s entry into the immersive audio streaming market leads to an arms race to acquire immersive content, and a corresponding race to make new or remixed Atmos content. Even narrow minded simpletons would benefit from that broad based improvement in the market.

Last edited:

vhild§

^ Regarding Atmos and milestones such as Abbey Road, has any of the Beatles/George Martin been involved in such a project?

kejar31

The issue it illustrates is the complications and confusion about how to get the actual files out in a bit perfect way to take advantage of the new content because of the operating system owners and app owners limits they have placed in their systems.
It's simpler to buy the files, download them, and play them off a hard drive. Or just buy a CD. Convenience goes out the window.

When did bit perfect go from trying to stop Windows or crappy windows drivers and software from having internal EQ being applied to being some magic audio perfection? Do you really believe even at the mastering level that bit and sample rates are not being modified. Honestly though even if the sample rate is changed from 192 to 48 or 44.1 to 48 do you really think you are going to hear the difference? Even when I was young I could hear no higher than 20khz or so, meaning 44.1 was sufficient for my hearing in my 20's.

hotdogsandwich

Forum Donor
Are you using a camera Adapter?
You might need a bigger power supply. My ipad pro’s 18 watt supply doesn’t work but when I switch to a 30 watt its fine with my D30pro. FWIW, I have a startech hub i’m using, not the camera connection kit.

Last edited:

dmac6419

Major Contributor
How embarrassing for you.

The question wasn’t “may I please rant fanatically about how much Apple sucks based on what seems like an incorrect interpretation of an announcement of a future feature?” The question was “who has more Atmos content right now, Apple or Tidal?” Perhaps you’ve never heard of “Abbey Road,” but it’s kind of a thing. The immersive mix is such a further improvement that I paid around a hundred bucks for the “Deluxe” set with the Atmos mix on Blu Ray Audio, and consider that great value.

I pointed out three known Atmos mixes currently available on Apple but not Tidal. Perhaps there are Atmos mixes on Tidal that Apple doesn’t have?

My hope is Apple’s entry into the immersive audio streaming market leads to an arms race to acquire immersive content, and a corresponding race to make new or remixed Atmos content. Even narrow minded simpletons would benefit from that broad based improvement in the market.
Tidal has Sony 360 reality as well as Atmos you should have checked there, Apple just came out this week and you fanboying already, have a nice day.oh and keep insult for your self,you don't want to start with me,P.S. I have the whole Beatles catalog and the Abbey Road set as well.

Last edited:

kejar31

Tidal has Sony 360 reality as well you should have checked there, Apple just came out this week and you fanboying already, have a nice day.oh and keep insult for your self,you don't want to start with me.

I just caught this conversation but based on what jhaider said in his last post. He seemed excited about the Atmos content being offered inside the Apple service and the fact that Apple seems to want to push studios to start making music with object based sound which can easily be upscaled from 2.0 to even 13.1.4 (just like movies are done today). As we know Apple has a lot of influence over the studios and has had so since the iPod days. While I also do not like yet another licensed technology I honestly think this one is worth it. I know not all music is perfect atm but neither was stereo in the early days.

BTW Sony 360 is just a DSP it is definitely not comparable to Atmos or DTS-X.

Top Bottom