• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Apple lossless official announcement

boostmiser

2 questions for conversation:
1) What do you think this does to the vinyl industry comeback for home audio listenig?
I personally still love my Rega P3 and vinyl but maybe it will keep me from buying more music on vinyl since I'm already paying the Apple subscription?
2) I have a Bluesound Node 2i and it supports Apple music via Airplay.....Will lossless work over Airplay?

Dogen

Forum Donor
1) What do you think this does to the vinyl industry comeback for home audio listenig?
I personally still love my Rega P3 and vinyl but maybe it will keep me from buying more music on vinyl since I'm already paying the Apple subscription?
2) I have a Bluesound Node 2i and it supports Apple music via Airplay.....Will lossless work over Airplay?
For 1) I don’t think it makes any difference. Those who are into vinyl will continue because they like the format, period. It may cause a small number of people to think more favorably towards streaming, but that lessens all physical media sales, not just vinyl. Don’t know about 2).

Zensō

Major Contributor
1) Not a thing.
2) Yes.

Newman

Major Contributor
But, then Apple dropped another bombshell - something I've been waiting for (though not from Apple!) - another wireless audio solution beyond BT:

“I’m being told that with a simple update at any time, Apple is working on allowing AirPods to work over AirPlay instead,” he revealed. ...
That would be something, for Apple to release new firmware for (some?) Airpods to support lossless wireless direct to their devices. Wow.

It doesn’t say firmware, it says update. To me, that more-likely says “The new, updated AirPod X can do Airplay.” Which is fine.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Welcome Aboard @boostmiser.

Jhify

Analog and digital are two different thing. Tracks aren't mastered the same way and sometimes producers even use different mixing. Vinyl is a niche market anyway.

Airplay1 does 16/44.1 and airplay2 24/44.1 if I remeber well. It's as good as it gets and works like a charm. Enjoy.

KeithPhantom

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
iOS/iPadOS 14.6 are out, but lossless not available. We are a step closer though.

mSpot

So, what about that big play button that only lets you play an album in shuffle mode :facepalm: It seems to be the bane of many Spotify users, yet they refuse to change or at least make it user-configurable.
Curiously, the button is shuffle in the Spotify mobile apps (iOS/Android), but in the desktop apps (Mac/PC) and web player, the big button is sequential play.

KeithPhantom

Forum Donor
Ummm, Apple also does HE-AAC, haven’t heard about that codec in a while. Just waiting to get the lossless option to enable it .
E531225B-E1FD-40CE-9FAB-AC369088B296.png

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
OK- June the 1st came and went. I'm trialling Apple Music and managed to get it onto the PC (via horrid iTunes)- unless I have set something up wrong, everything is showing as Apple Music AAC files , 256kbps.

This is in the UK- so what gives? I know they said not all the catalog would be lossless at launch , but this is 50k tracks. Did I get the lossless launch date wrong or set something up wrong?

MayaTlab

It's in June, but not necessarily June 1st from what I understand. I think we'll get more information during WWDC next week.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
June just started.. I bet it will be around the WWDC21

Yes, I thought I had read June 1st but apparently they didnt specify when in June- reports of some seeing snippets of lossless but not able to download etc. So WWDC or just after would be a safe bet.

Not actually sure they have said iTunes on windows will be lossless compatible- but if not that would be a major fail!

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Not actually sure they have said iTunes on windows will be lossless compatible- but if not that would be a major fail!

iTunes on Windows has always been a major fail :facepalm:. On macOS, it was barely better though. And I don't like the Music app either.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
iTunes on Windows has always been a major fail :facepalm:. On macOS, it was barely better though. And I don't like the Music app either.

Yup - one of the reasons I went to Roon in the first place was the state of iTunes. But my concerns about costs of Roon + Tidal/ Qobuz , and the longevity of those services has me looking elsewhere as a backup. Ive got EAPO and Peace on my PC now, so the EQ side looks easy enough. The Spotify Windows app is a mess too- it was a complete RAM hog for some reason (way worse than iTunes).

If Roon could expand their streaming partners to one of the big 3 now offering lossless (and drop their prices) I would be more comfortable but that looks unlikely.

I could live with Apple plus EAPO I think but would be a grudging move

Music1969

Major Contributor
OK- June the 1st came and went. I'm trialling Apple Music and managed to get it onto the PC (via horrid iTunes)- unless I have set something up wrong, everything is showing as Apple Music AAC files , 256kbps.

This is in the UK- so what gives? I know they said not all the catalog would be lossless at launch , but this is 50k tracks. Did I get the lossless launch date wrong or set something up wrong?

Imminent. Probably next week. See bottom of the screenshot.

https://appleinsider.com/articles/2...dolby-atmos-content-showing-up-for-some-users

1622632346231.png

mononoaware

Dear Apple,

iOS 15 request:

Together with Apple Lossless. . .
Please add “manual” EQ option for the iOS Music app.

You have all the other iTunes EQ presets and surely iOS is capable of handling 1 custom (manual) EQ.
PS: Please keep it identical to iTunes EQ for easy of reference and use, I am also a fan of the frequency values used.

Screensho185131 - Copy.png

Thanks.

Last edited:

MayaTlab

Dear Apple,

iOS 15 request:

Together with Apple Lossless. . .
Please add “manual” EQ option for Music app.
You have all the other iTunes EQ presets and surely iOS is capable of handling 1 custom (manual) EQ.

Thanks.

I would even prefer that Apple provides a PEQ with lots of bands that can be saved on the headphones themselves :D.
But we know that it's never going to happen.
At least a few customisation options would be nice (sliders to shift the magnitude and frequency of the ear gain peak, or magnitude and frequency / slope of the bass shelf for example).

Zensō

Major Contributor
Top Bottom