• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Apple lossless and your setup

ENG

Forum Donor
Some days ago I wrote in the thread: "Apple Music announces Spatial Audio..." :

About music audio streaming. So far I joined Apple Music and connected an iPhone 7 to my Topping D90 with Apple Lightning to USB Camera Adapter. No problem, very fine sounding (subjektive). But how to control the playing iPhone 7 remote from my iPhone X or iPad Pro 11?

No one answered so now I try to start a thread about that.

eas

There answer is that you can't do it. Some people use the switch accessibility features, but it isn't intended for this sort of thing and it doesn't look like a very good user experience.

Reactions: ENG
OP
ENG

ENG

Forum Donor
That is also what I read on the internet about the topic. But I thought that some people on ASR had found a way to do it. Darko (who I am not following normally) has shed light on this also. It's a shame that you can only use AirPlay which i not stable and drain your battery. Maybe Apple will come with a solution soon. Apart from that I am surprised how big the collection actually is at Apple Music. Far deeper and broader in classical music (my favorite) than Deezer and Qobuz.

Reactions: trl

Jazz

There is no Airplay “Connect”. Hopefully, soon, there will be. I want to plug an iOS into a DAC and control it with another iOS device. But the only option is direct or, via Airplay to an Airplay receiver which is at 16/44.1 or AAC, depending on various factors, apparently.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've been puzzling over this problem as well. I found a Lightning to USB-B cable which will connect my iPad / iPhone to my DAC directly. Delivery date on the cable is 60 days. There will likely be better solutions before the cable arrives.

Cheers

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There is no airplay connect on iOS with which one iOS device can control another. There is an airplay connect on Apple TV and, I guess, homepods. You can control Apple Music on Apple TV from your iPhone, iPad and Mac.

I'm confused?? I'm not trying to do that. Simply I'm connecting to a DAC via a USB-B Lightning cable. I also have Airport Express but its limited to 16-bit.

Zensō

Major Contributor

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I agree, but my DAC is USB-B.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
But then USB-A to B is easy. hmm

DavidMcRoy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The best way to connect an iPad or iPhone to a USB DAC is with the Apple Lightning to USB Camera Adapter. This allows you to keep the device powered via the USB-C slot while also sending USB data over the USB-A slot.

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MK0W2AM/A/lightning-to-usb-3-camera-adapter

To use an external Hi-Res DAC, the Topping D30, I use an Apple Camera Connection Kit (adapter) on my iPad and iPhone, rather than an Apple Lightning to USB Camera Kit. The CCK has a Lightning Port, a 3.5mm analog stereo jack and a USB-A port. In this configuration, the iPad and the iPhone each seems to be getting power through the Lightning Port on the Apple Camera Connection Kit when the Lightning Port is fed DC power, and not via the Adapter’s USB port. The iDevices will not charge unless DC power is fed to the Apple CCK Lightning Port when using this adapter.

Apple CCK USB-A Port > DAC USB Input (The DAC is self-powered)
DC power > Apple CCK Lightning Port (This powers the iDevice)
Apple CCK Lightning male plug > iPad or iPhone (Carries DC power to the iDevice and data from the iDevice)

Last edited:
OP
ENG

ENG

Forum Donor
People write how to connect your iPhone or iPad to the DAC. That's fine, you really get up to 24/192. But I am lazy and don't like to go to the íPhone and DAC every time I want to search or shift music. I want the control to be wireless.

Zensō

Major Contributor
People write how to connect your iPhone or iPad to the DAC. That's fine, you really get up to 24/192. But I am lazy and don't like to go to the íPhone and DAC every time I want to search or shift music. I want the control to be wireless.
We need an “Apple Music Connect” for remote control and direct streaming without battery drain. There are rumors this is coming, but no one really knows if or when. Perhaps it will be the so-called Airplay 3.

The advantage of Airplay over solutions like Spotify Connect or Roon is that it enables wireless streaming of any sound source (or video) on the device. I’m not convinced Apple is willing to give up this advantage to preserve battery life.

Last edited:

Foulchet

There is an expensive (and of course overkill solution for that single purpose) : buying an Apple Watch. Honestly the controls are not great....but it works. Else you can also but a very long cable (which is fine, I have for instance a 15 meters jack cheap jack cable and I hear no interferences : this is my house "mobile" solution when I want to have the wired headphones sound quality. A digital cable should be even more resilient). As a side note, but I uderstand that you do not like this solution, but Airplay 2 is the way to go in my opinion. I saw for instance the Belkin Soundform connect which is overpriced or maybe a new Airport Express ?

OP
ENG

ENG

Forum Donor
It looks like a little arduous way, which we don't know is working. And you are still streaming from your iPad/iPhone and draining battery. Although I have a strong internet connection (500/500 up/down) and top class router the Airplay is not stable.
Apple Music is part of Sonos, but not in Bluesound or Moon MiND which I am using. It's a shame.

jjk1

Right now I think the only way to get Apple Losless from the Apple Music app wirelessly (Up to CD quality only) is to use airplay to an airplay1 device.
The app is converting to ACC when streaming to airplay 2 devices. I would assume they will “fix“ this in a future update considering that an ios device will send CD quality ALAC to airplay2 end points when using other apps besides Apple Music (tidal or Deezer on iOS for example)

What Apple needs is an ”apple connect” feature added to airplay, 24bit airplay (supports It already ? I don’t know) and / or audio outputs on their hub devices.
At a minimum they need to fix airplay2 via Apple Music ASAP to be on par with the competition.

link to some testing at another site

https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/bits-and-bytes/apple-music-lossless-mess-part-2-airplay-r1026/
JJK

ElNino

Addicted to Fun and Learning
We need an “Apple Music Connect” for remote control and direct streaming without battery drain.

There actually is this feature as part of the Airplay 2 protocol suite. A lot of people don't realize it's there since Airplay 2 is mostly used for Airplay 1 live streaming, rather than connect-style features.

With HomePods and some other Airplay 2 hosts, you can for example add tracks and rearrange playlists remotely, from either iOS or iTunes on macOS, with the actual streaming being done independently by the Airplay 2 host. I find the interface pretty gnarly though on iOS, and don't blame people for not being able to figure it out. On recent versions of iTunes on macOS it's totally usable though.

Unfortunately, this does not work with Airport Expresses that have had the Airplay 2 firmware update -- those are Airplay 2 streaming only. I believe it does work with the Denon streamers, but can't test it.

The developer documentation for this feature is just awful though. I'm pretty familiar with CoreAudio programming and there isn't enough for me to go on to figure it out.

Top Bottom