• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Apple Lightning to TOSLINK/SPDIF?

MKR

Major Contributor
Did a search (web and ASR) and can’t find any kit that provides for a way to convert/connect Apple Lightning (iPhone/iPad) cable to SPDIF/TOSLINK so I can connect digital bit stream (Apple lossless) to DAC input.

Anyone have a solution for this?

Thanks!

Dumdum

Apple USB 3.0 camera connection kit and an Smsl po100 pro I used this in my car for many years from an iPad mini 5 and iPhone XR

Now I use an iPad mini 6 with the AV adaptor to the same effect

Reactions: MKR
OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks but nope … I found plenty of those. This has a DAC built in, which defeats the entire purpose. I don’t want it converted, I want the digital bitstream only to send to external DAC
Yeah, both of these give you exactly that.

OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
Apple USB 3.0 camera connection kit and an Smsl po100 pro I used this in my car for many years from an iPad mini 5 and iPhone XR

Now I use an iPad mini 6 with the AV adaptor to the same effect
I saw this, but this only converts lightning to USB. I need lightning to TOSLINK/SPDIF

OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
Yeah, both of these give you exactly that.
Ah, ok, yes. Seems the first one indeed does what I want. But IKKO has a built in DAC, and again I don’t want any conversion, pure digital bitstream only.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Ah, ok, yes. Seems the first one indeed does what I want. But IKKO has a built in DAC, and again I don’t want any conversion, pure digital bitstream only.
They BOTH do what you want. The second one also has a DAC, but you don’t need to use it.
IMG_6473.jpeg

See the little (mini)Toslink LED?

OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
They BOTH do what you want. The second one also has a DAC, but you don’t need to use it.
View attachment 286901
See the little (mini)Toslink LED?
Ok, I see. But how to disable the DAC? I assume connecting the TOSLINK means I get a digital bitstream, connect the 3.5mm jack is the analog output? Thanks for the help and sorry if I am asking stupid questions

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Ok, I see. But how to disable the DAC? I assume connecting the TOSLINK means I get a digital bitstream, connect the 3.5mm jack is the analog output? Thanks for the help and sorry if I am asking stupid questions
No need to disable it: put is a 3.5mm jack and you get analog audio, put in a mini Toslink and you get digital output.

staticV3

Master Contributor
I saw this, but this only converts lightning to USB. I need lightning to TOSLINK/SPDIF
Apple USB 3.0 Camera connection kit converts Lightning to USB.
SMSL PO100 Pro converts USB to Toslink and Spdif.

Chain the two together and you get a Lightning to Toslink/Spdif converter.

OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
Apple USB 3.0 Camera connection kit converts Lightning to USB.
SMSL PO100 Pro converts USB to Toslink and Spdif.

Chain the two together and you get a Lightning to Toslink/Spdif converter.
Excellent, thank you!

Dumdum

Ignore the rest of my post why don’t ya lol… the Smsl is a usb to toslink, i2s and coax digital converter

So you get digital audio from it however you want… it’s a very versatile combination

Hov

Forum Donor
The Douk Audio U2 may work for you. It is not a DAC, it converts USB to either Toslink or Coaxial. It has worked a treat for me up to 24/192 and I don't have anything beyond that to test.

CauliflowerEars

I'm looking for the same way to connect iPhone (Lightning) -> (Optical/TOSLINK/SPDIF) DAC.
If I'm correct, all the above options are at least about 80 USD ...

Is there a cheaper way to connect the iPhone to the DAC?

I need it for my 2nd (cheap) setup. Either Loxjie a30 (DAC+Amp in one) or Aiyima a07 amp + Topping e30 II (Lite?) DAC.
The amps will get here next week to test and choose. For about 80 USD, I can get the Wiim Home and just stream directly ...
I've heard the Loxjie a30 USB input is worse than the optical. That's why I'm looking for a cheaper way to connect the iPhone ...
TY!

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Hi DSM,

Have you had any personal experience with this particular interconnect ? If so in what configuration is the cable (Lighting to Optical, USB to Optical)?

Thanks for the link. Can’t say I have ever seen this before. The performance claims made by the Vendor are a bit snake oily don’t you think? Would love to see one sent to Amir for testing. ;)

Top Bottom