• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Apple Ipod Touch 2019

Fralle

It's pretty darn impossible to find any reliable specs about the audio on the Ipod touch. There is a Qobuz article about the Ipod touch 6 stating that it does not play 24/192 files. Anyone know if the 7 does?

WondrousHippo

Forum Donor
It's pretty darn impossible to find any reliable specs about the audio on the Ipod touch. There is a Qobuz article about the Ipod touch 6 stating that it does not play 24/192 files. Anyone know if the 7 does?

I'm pretty sure that the built-in headphone jack and the dongle aren't gonna handle anything above 24/48 just because Apple designed them that way. But iOS is more than able to output higher sample rates through the Lightning port if you supply it with a capable DAC.

OP
majingotan

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

My 7th Gen iPod Touch easily plays 24/192 indicated by my Chord Mojo’s blue power/status light

IMG_2954.jpg
IMG_2955.jpg

OP
majingotan

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's good that it will do that, but doesn't that severely limit the amount of music you can carry with you? And is the difference audible anyway compared with Red Book, or even AAC 256?

Yes it will reduce the storage significantly if using Qobuz offline. As for lossy vs lossless, they won’t matter with this setup if you’re using it for on-the-go or workout/exercise DAP device hence I only stream Hi-res and never store them. I don’t use this Mojo/iPod Touch setup often and prefer to use the iPod headphone jack only for low power loads like IEMs as I use my touch for mobile offline. Mojo gets used with my Surface laptop as the headphone jack’s output impedance is atrociously high, and Mojo doesn’t alter FR curve of a headphone due to its low output impedance

Top Bottom