• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Apple IPhone Sexist

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Oh lord have mercy, this sexist stuff is totally out of hand. Apple's now being slammed for the new larger IPhone due to it's larger size. The fact that men usually have bigger hands makes it sexist marketing to men. I would have thought it the other way around since they fit more easily in a womens purse than a mans pocket? Getting to where men will have to carry a purse to accommodate their smart phones. Oh wait, it's not a purse, its a man-bag. o_O LOL
https://nypost.com/2018/09/14/apples-bigger-screen-iphones-are-slammed-for-being-sexist/
I thought bigger was better with the ladies.
180914-iphone-xs-sexist-feature.jpg

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Phone screens have been getting bigger and bigger but they are still uselessly small for doing anything on IMO so I don't use one for email or internet.
I have BBC and Reuters News (and the Daily Mash a UK satirical site which often seems too close to the real truth) on it though as I find it OK to read headlines. Handy for weather too.
The camera is handy when something happens and I am not carrying a proper one.
The only sexist thing here is my wife prefers a wall mount land line to anything portable :)

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Phone screens have been getting bigger and bigger but they are still uselessly small for doing anything on IMO so I don't use one for email or internet.
I can type almost as fast and accurately on my phone as I can on a real keyboard, it gets trickier when you move away from normal words but for most things I'm amazed how productive the software keyboards can be, the iPhone might be years behind android on keyboards, unless they have truly opened up keyboard competition now.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I can type almost as fast and accurately on my phone as I can on a real keyboard, it gets trickier when you move away from normal words but for most things I'm amazed how productive the software keyboards can be, the iPhone might be years behind android on keyboards, unless they have truly opened up keyboard competition now.
I am Aspergers so clumsy, I don't always hit the key I want even on a full sized keyboard.
I detest touch screens. Yes they are adaptable to do anything but they are moderately/totally sh1t for everything IMO.
The touch screen in my car drives me to distraction. Proper buttons are a million times better, but probably not far off a million times more expensive too...
I have a keyboard for my iPad and a bluetooth keyboard I can use with a phone but why bother, the screen is pitifully small?
I much prefer a laptop for everything I do, apart from phone calls.
Not having an email app on my phone also helps my determination not to be a phone zombie.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
This is sooo out of control... My phone's keyboard is too small for me, must be sexism, ageism, and all sorts of other 'isms gong on to suppress my right to a normal life...

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I'm stickin with my small flip phone. It keeps me in phone contact when needed, can take a picture and a few other odd things.
I'll do all the rest when I'm home and want to surf the web.
The only sexist thing here is my wife prefers a wall mount land line to anything portable
I'm with her on the land line, though not a wall mount. LOL

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
First off, that is a European man bag Sal. :)

Typing on a touchscreen is pretty efficient if you learn to swype. I'm very little slower than on a regular keyboard. It takes some doing however, some practice. I mainly finally got it when stuck most waking hours in a hospital for 3 months and needing to send info to everyone in the family. In time it became almost second nature.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
First off, that is a European man bag Sal. :)

Typing on a touchscreen is pretty efficient if you learn to swype. I'm very little slower than on a regular keyboard. It takes some doing however, some practice. I mainly finally got it when stuck most waking hours in a hospital for 3 months and needing to send info to everyone in the family. In time it became almost second nature.
My theory is they evolved from laptop carry satchels, it seemed ok for men to have them then suddenly men have hand bags ......................

I don’t even posses a wallet, I went away to London last weekend with just a toothbrush and debit card.

I can really see sal rocking a man bag, he would insist it was a utility belt of course and we would have to indulge him.

Wombat

Master Contributor
My theory is they evolved from laptop carry satchels, it seemed ok for men to have them then suddenly men have hand bags ......................

I don’t even posses a wallet, I went away to London last weekend with just a toothbrush and debit card.

I can really see sal rocking a man bag, he would insist it was a utility belt of course and we would have to indulge him.

Call it an ammo sack. ;)

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have to say, none of the actual women interviewed made the "sexist" accusation. That would have been the journalist or sub-editor, taking a few comments from here and there and whipping them up into an intentionally clickbait-y shock piece.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor

This is perfectly true! Remember when real work was done (instead of social media rubbish), our computer monitors got bigger and bigger, our computers faster. Then along came silly little touch screens of a few inches across.

I have 24"-32" screens and use a PC, a real keyboard and mouse. I carry my phone only for phone calls and leave it at home whenever I can.

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
You would get away with that stuff over by Disney I'm sure.
Otherwise carring a "man bag" will most likely get you a blanket party by the senior

I have 24"-32" screens and use a PC, a real keyboard and mouse. I carry my phone only for phone calls and leave it at home whenever I can.
AMEN to that! If I have to make a choice, the S&W .380 auto is in my pocket, not the phone.
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away. ;)

garbulky

Major Contributor
This is perfectly true! Remember when real work was done (instead of social media rubbish), our computer monitors got bigger and bigger, our computers faster. Then along came silly little touch screens of a few inches across.

My computer has 100 inches of screen two tvs. Very happy with the setup. I too did not like phones, but once you get used to them you are able to do actual stuff on it and it's helped me loads. But having said that, doing real work, multitasking is still very awkward. The bigger iphone screens do help make things less awkward. Ipad minis though are a nice compromise in screen size. But I crave a task bar with active buttons where I can quickly switch between apps and copy paste things quickly. It's still not easily done. This whole press and hold business is rubbish.

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

audiobill

You seem like a real gent. Can you hold my bag of nuts while I go feed the squirrels.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm with you all on the keyboard and large screens. What has been a disappointment is no near universal standard for casting over local networks. There are a few, but nothing as common as say a USB plug.

For several years now my phone has been either the 2nd or 3rd most powerful computing machine I've ever owned. I'd like to be able to walk in, plop my phone on a desk. Have it connect to bluetooth keyboard and mouse, and over wifi cast the screen to a big monitor. I can do that at home, but if there were a standard I could do it at other people's house or other locations. The best of both worlds for most purposes. Currently there are too many different ways to do it, and no common protocol.

This is a particularly noticeable time to me for how useful I find a smartphone. Mine developed a serious problem over the weekend after 3 and a half years of reliable service. It is my only phone. No landline. I've also been away from home more than average the last couple days. So for essential calls I've been using Google Hangouts over the Chrome browser on a laptop. It will ring and allow me to talk or place calls if I'm connected to the internet. But I am missing lots of useful things I do each day with the smartphone. Oh well, my replacement phone should arrive in a couple days.

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Mistake # 1: reading the NY Post and taking it seriously.
Yea but it's all over the news, I heard it first on the radio in my truck, not a fake news report.

Theo

Anyway, who is buying a 1000$+ phone? Beyond audiofools, it is starting to look like not-so-smartphonofools... I wonder if the new iPhones tend to lift the veil in front of the screen?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Anyway, who is buying a 1000$+ phone? Beyond audiofools, it is starting to look like not-so-smartphonofools... I wonder if the new iPhones tend to lift the veil in front of the screen?

Well, my phone isn't close to a thousand bucks. I know several who have purchased a kilobuck phone in the last 6 months. I think it is mostly a status thing on that. Those who purchased the big ticket ones are the least wealthy of my acquaintances. The most expensive phone was purchased two months ago by someone who doesn't currently have a job. That is bizarre to me. Paying on the 24 month purchase plan of course.

Top Bottom