• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

"Apple Homepod: a Speaker to Reinvent Home Music"

Cosmik

Major Contributor
apple_homepod_speaker_5-960x792.jpg

Apple has officially launched HomePod, a Siri-powered talking music system for the home....

...Apple says it has "the power to rock the house", thanks to its use of seven different tweeters, and the huge bass woofer that sits right in the middle.

The company says HomePod separates out all the different parts of the music into its composite parts. It can then find out all those parts and pull it together into a "rich mix that can dominate the room".

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...ple-wwdc-2017-home-music-system-a7774416.html

I guess this spells the end of stereo speakers in the home - if that hasn't happened already. I think it is possible that few people ever really cared about real stereo anyway. Presumably recording studios will begin to produce recordings that sound good on these devices rather than those ridiculous two-box setups that OAPs are still running.

Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
OAP?

Old-Ass People?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
apple_homepod_speaker_5-960x792.jpg

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...ple-wwdc-2017-home-music-system-a7774416.html

I guess this spells the end of stereo speakers in the home - if that hasn't happened already. I think it is possible that few people ever really cared about real stereo anyway. Presumably recording studios will begin to produce recordings that sound good on these devices rather than those ridiculous two-box setups that OAPs are still running.

No man this is Apple. Not the end of stereo. These can be linked together if you buy more than one. They automatically go into two speaker stereo. OTOH, they are claiming this one speaker thru beamforming can created virtual speakers for stereo.

So if the gullibility quotient of Apple fanboys holds, this could finally spell the acceptance of multi-channel music in the home as Apple will sell about 5 to every customer.

So yeah, maybe it actually is the end of stereo in the home. Just not due to monophonia.

On another note, my crossed coincident figure eight recordings all collapse to mono with no ill effects at all.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
This will suit most people perfectly, its main competition is the Amazon echo. There's nothing special at all about the sound that comes out of those. They are terrible.

Nobody I know sits down and listens to music so stereo is defunct in terms of the mass home market. This kind of thing is what people want.

It's not the end of stereo though, people enjoy that through headphones and earbuds.. that won't likely change anytime soon.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I guess this spells the end of stereo speakers in the home
OMG, again already the speaker world has been reinvented and all else is gaslight.
Does this now spell the end of the last world shakers, the BeoLab 90s and Kii Threes?

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
OMG, again already the speaker world has been reinvented and all else is gaslight.
Does this now spell the end of the last world shakers, the BeoLab 90s and Kii Threes?
Yea, they are yesterday's chip paper now mate :D

Keith might have to start actually working for a living :D

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Keith might have to start actually working for a living :D
Speaking of working, what are you doing online? Aren't you supposed to be out hanging some rock right now? :)

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Speaking of working, what are you doing online? Aren't you supposed to be out hanging some rock right now? :)
Buggered my back yesterday rubbing down, freak thing but can't hold any weight away from my body.. it's painful but I don't mind pain, it's the fact i can't seem to move properly and have no strength to operate my tools..

If I don't work I don't get payed so it's a nightmare, and tbh I enjoy spreading mud on the wall too.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
We Pieced Together Steve Jobs’ Long-Lost Stereo System

https://www.wired.com/2014/04/steve-jobs-stereo-system/#slide-1

MK1 GyroDec
Acoustat Monitor 3
Threshold FET-1
Stasis-1 200W
Denon TU-750 tuner

The three identifiable albums in the photo include: Bach Brandenberg Concertos (Jean-Pierre Rampal, Maurice André; RCA), Ella Fitzgerald: The Cole Porter Songbook (Vol. 1, Verve) and Steely Dan's Aja (ABC).

jobs-final.jpg

Last edited:

12B4A

The only thing that seems potentially significant about this from an audio performance standpoint are the arrayed microphones for room correction coupled with the beamforming. With that A8, there is a lot of computing horsepower available just for an audio device. I'd give it a 50/50 shot that it ends up performing better than a Bose Waveradio (which, maybe not coincidentally, also retails for $350).

I said this on another forum but I'd like to transplant the mics and processing to put in to a similar shaped cabinet with a 15" woofer and compression driver tweeters. Maybe that's a project for Harmsung. :D

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
The only thing that seems potentially significant about this from an audio performance standpoint are the arrayed microphones for room correction coupled with the beamforming. With that A8, there is a lot of computing horsepower available just for an audio device. I'd give it a 50/50 shot that it ends up performing better than a Bose Waveradio (which, maybe not coincidentally, also retails for $350).

I said this on another forum but I'd like to transplant the mics and processing to put in to a similar shaped cabinet with a 15" woofer and compression driver tweeters. Maybe that's a project for Harmsung. :D
Harmsung :D:D

OP
Cosmik

Cosmik

Major Contributor

Yes, I think we are at that point where there is nothing left to do - with stereo at least. For the sake of convenience, we can go mono - or at least single box with "room-filling sound" or "DSP surround". We can also make the boxes smaller with dynamic DSP volume and bass limiting. I recently had the experience of listening to a Bose Sound bar with "super dynamic processing" or whatever they called it. It was basically an AGC to create an impression of super-heavy bass during the quiet bits. The sound faded in and out very annoyingly - I turned the option off, naturally. That is what I also do with every TV I encounter: I just want a straight video monitor with no effects; high resolution and wide dynamic range is all I require. This, of course, would leave nothing for the manufacturers to do, and they would go out of business without the gizmos. As long as we are allowed to turn them off, I don't mind.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor

I might actually be compelled to spend the asking price of $15k for the JBL 4367 if Harmsung added those capabitilities and made it something other than a dumb box.

12B4A

At least with the 4367 you know you're getting 4 times as many capacitors than normal passive speakers due to Timber's charge coupled crossover.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
That is what I also do with every TV I encounter: I just want a straight video monitor with no effects; high resolution and wide dynamic range is all I require. This, of course, would leave nothing for the manufacturers to do, and they would go out of business without the gizmos. As long as we are allowed to turn them off, I don't mind.
I'm with you on all of that. I don't need any of theirs dynamic this or auto that, mostly they just have a negative effect on PC. Even worse are all the "smart" apps they're adding to the sub systems of today's TV's. The make the rigs unstable and at the mercy of the app's designers from update to update.. I've got all that sidelined on my new Sony here. The only app's I currently use are Netflix and a browser, both that I run inside my BluRay player. Netflix is done in a few days when my free month trial is over and the browser isn't worth the time.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Top Bottom