• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Apple AirPods Max Review (Noise Cancelling Headphone)

robot_seven

Not sure if this has been covered before but there's a very easy way to PEQ APM if you're using iOS.

Go to Settings > Accessibility > Audio/Visual > Headphone Accommodations

Select 'Custom Audio Setup' > Continue > Add Audiogram > Continue > Camera

Now take a picture of anything that *does not* look like a FR graph

Select 'Keep Scan' > Save

Now it will say 'Unable to Import Audiogram'

Select 'Add Values Manually' > set 2k to 5dBHL and 4k to 8dBHL and everything else to zero for both channels

Select Done > Next > Save > Use Audiogram

This will give you a response like (or better than) 'Balanced Tone' without the DRC

DeLub

Select 'Add Values Manually' > set 2k to 5dBHL and 4k to 8dBHL and everything else to zero for both channels
An audiogram is not an equalizer. If you'd like to add the filters of amir as an audiogram you have to look at what the effect of the filters is:
plot.png

Rounded to whole dBs, the values are:
This is however quite crude, as the filters have a dip around 2700Hz which you cannot create in this way.

Based on the EQ profile of Oratory1990, this would be the results:
Apple AirPods Max - ha.png

125-1
250-1
I'm not sure if the -1's have any effect, but this is a bit more moderate...

Take you pick :) What sounds best?

Last edited:

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not sure if this has been covered before but there's a very easy way to PEQ APM if you're using iOS.

Go to Settings > Accessibility > Audio/Visual > Headphone Accommodations

Select 'Custom Audio Setup' > Continue > Add Audiogram > Continue > Camera

Now take a picture of anything that *does not* look like a FR graph

Select 'Keep Scan' > Save

Now it will say 'Unable to Import Audiogram'

Select Done > Next > Save > Use Audiogram

This will give you a response like (or better than) 'Balanced Tone' without the DRC
Very cool. Amazing how burried it is... thanks for sharing this.

DeLub

Is there an easy way to check what the effect of adding an audiogram to the headphone accomodations is? E.g., would it be possible to capture a sweep and plot it?

staticV3

Master Contributor
Is there an easy way to check what the effect of adding an audiogram to the headphone accomodations is? E.g., would it be possible to capture a sweep and plot it?
Sure, you could measure the change in frequency response with either an in-ear microphone, an ear simulator, or with an ADC by probing the PCB directly (though the feedback algorithm might result in bad data).
Neither way is particularly easy though.

DeLub

Sure, you could measure the change in frequency response with either an in-ear microphone, an ear simulator, or with an ADC by probing the PCB directly (though the feedback algorithm might result in bad data).
Neither way is particularly easy though.
sure... but then the headphones are measured as well.

I was more thinking like how these Apple Music EQ presets were measured. @abdo123 , can you share how you determined the effects of the presets? I'd like to find out how the headphone accommodations work...

staticV3

Master Contributor
sure... but then the headphones are measured as well.
Stock frequency response minus EQed frequency response equals pure EQ response.
I was more thinking like how these Apple Music EQ presets were measured. @abdo123 , can you share how you determined the effects of the presets? I'd like to find out how the headphone accommodations work...
Looks like those were measured straight from the iPhone's output, maybe with the A2049 dongle.

Axo1989

Major Contributor
After buying a pair for my younger sister for Christmas (she was locked down, poor thing) I bought a pair for myself. First impression: they are so tiny. It's all relative isn't it, I'm used to Sony MDR-Z1R. But they are smaller than my HD650s too.

I wanted wireless, noise-reduction and spatial audio so they deliver that. NR is rather better than AirPods Pro and they aren't fiddly to insert (the Pro needs a good seal). Perfect woodworking headphones, I did a bit of rotary sanding today, and it was blissful listening to Wet Leg's album release instead of a clattery whirr. Council was doing roadwork on my street and that just disappeared. Time to break out the circular saw and fibre-cement cutter for a stress-test.

Sonically, I'm not finding them lacking in treble or generally too dark—measurements here notwithstanding—but it's only been a day. Interesting because my Sonys are hot in the treble if anything but I'm not missing it. I'll play with the Accessibility > Audio/Visual > Headphone Accomodations settings for a bit and see how that goes. Otherwise they sound nice and clear and the bass isn't a let-down despite the smaller drivers (again vs Sony). All this playing from the phone. They sounded good from the (Intel) iMac then suddenly didn't, I'll have to see what's going on there. I think Sonarwoks have a profile for them now so must check that out too.

Zensō

Major Contributor
After buying a pair for my younger sister for Christmas (she was locked down, poor thing) I bought a pair for myself. First impression: they are so tiny. It's all relative isn't it, I'm used to Sony MDR-Z1R. But they are smaller than my HD650s too.

I wanted wireless, noise-reduction and spatial audio so they deliver that. NR is rather better than AirPods Pro and they aren't fiddly to insert (the Pro needs a good seal). Perfect woodworking headphones, I did a bit of rotary sanding today, and it was blissful listening to Wet Leg's album release instead of a clattery whirr. Council was doing roadwork on my street and that just disappeared. Time to break out the circular saw and fibre-cement cutter for a stress-test.

Sonically, I'm not finding them lacking in treble or generally too dark—measurements here notwithstanding—but it's only been a day. Interesting because my Sonys are hot in the treble if anything but I'm not missing it. I'll play with the Accessibility > Audio/Visual > Headphone Accomodations settings for a bit and see how that goes. Otherwise they sound nice and clear and the bass isn't a let-down despite the smaller drivers (again vs Sony). All this playing from the phone. They sounded good from the (Intel) iMac then suddenly didn't, I'll have to see what's going on there. I think Sonarwoks have a profile for them now so must check that out too.
On the Mac, another great app for EQ is SoundSource:

MayaTlab

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Screenshot 2022-06-06 at 19.42.39.png

Not a lot of details yet on the exact implementation (perhaps more to come during WWDC sessions ?), but will make use of the iPhone's TrueDepth camera.
It's probably an attempt at individualising the HRTF map used by Apple's renderer, but I don't think that it will be capable of fine-tuning the "basal" FR of Apple's headphones past 1kHz, so coupling issues may remain.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
View attachment 211278
Not a lot of details yet on the exact implementation (perhaps more to come during WWDC sessions ?), but will make use of the iPhone's TrueDepth camera.
It's probably an attempt at individualising the HRTF map used by Apple's renderer, but I don't think that it will be capable of fine-tuning the "basal" FR of Apple's headphones past 1kHz, so coupling issues may remain.
What do you mean by ""basal" FR of Apple's headphones past 1kHz"?

MayaTlab

Addicted to Fun and Learning
What do you mean by ""basal" FR of Apple's headphones past 1kHz"?

The headphones’ FR as you traditionally measure it.

We expect loudspeakers measurements at the eardrum to deviate past 1kHz or so across individuals because of anatomical variation, but it isn’t clear whether or not headphones vary across individuals in a way that is thus desirable and not because of other, undesirable factors (the simple fact that the FR varies sometimes significantly with positioning of the earcups, or because of pad ageing or compression should already cast doubts on that idea).

I don’t think that Apple’s new solution addresses that issue. I believe that it’s rather a way to derive static, individualised HRTF maps from visual data (perhaps similar to Genelec Aural ID) and feed it into the Spatial Audio rendering pipeline instead of a generic HRTF map.

flaviowolff

The terrible thing about Apple choosing a dull frequency response for this is that it has the potential to induce studios into mixing the treble of radiophonic songs according to this. IDK if it's true, but according to rumors lots of 2000s era songs were mixed to sound good on iPod's stock earbuds.

Somafunk

Major Contributor
The terrible thing about Apple choosing a dull frequency response for this is that it has the potential to induce studios into mixing the treble of radiophonic songs according to this. IDK if it's true, but according to rumors lots of 2000s era songs were mixed to sound good on iPod's stock earbuds.

And that's all it is, a rumour

kmidst

I'll toss my opinion in here. I have the APM and use them a lot (and I mean a lot). I never found the sound quality or frequency response to be lacking. The bass is usually just the right amount but if I ever feel like it I can dial it back. I've tried them on Windows through a Topping DX3 Pro+ and of course through various Apple products (ipad, iphone, mac mini, apple TV). All sounded great with and without EQ. Although making some subtle EQ adjustments did really increase the enjoyment, but that's typical of almost any headphone. But then they really shine if you use other Apple products because they connect seamlessly without having to go through the usual pairing steps.
All in all, I would say they're definitely worth it in the Apple ecosphere, but probably a bit overpriced as standalone ANC heaphones. Mine go with me pretty much everywhere I go. I can always count on a good experience with them.

timblocktoom

Have any long term owners noticed or felt that the ANC has become less effective over time with the firmware updates Apple has pushed along the way?

oleg87

Have any long term owners noticed or felt that the ANC has become less effective over time with the firmware updates Apple has pushed along the way?
RTings seems to have confirmed that there's a measurable difference.

The little meshes Apple uses to cover their mic cavities can get gunked up with skin oils and whatnot after some years, so I'd also take a close look at them if you find your mics or ANC no longer working well (haven't figured out a good way to clean them, though).

Last edited:

Keith_W

Major Contributor
Conclusions
Apple with more R&D and manufacturing resources than any headphone company gets a few things really right such as extra low distortion and excellent bass response. Alas, they either listened to Beats people, marketing or who knows who to through out all that energy in the 1 to 7 kHz. Don't they know our ears naturally amplify that region for a reason? What book did they read that said you want to have flat response there? I am amazed how many online reviewers said this thing sounds great. Really? What is your reference? The old wired home phones?

Without EQ, the Apple AirPods is one terrible sounding headphone. As much as I like bass, I hate it without balancing high frequencies. I paid for the full spectrum of the music I consume, not just the bass. So please give it all to me. With EQ, the sound becomes very good prompting me to recommend it such. How good, I can't quite tell because I can't get enough volume on Windows. It can range from good to great.

1. I wouldn't put it beyond Apple to intentionally cripple this headphone on non Apple products.
2. Of course the online reviews say it's fantastic. There are so many Apple fanboys around who know nothing about audio, and to them anything made by Apple was sent by God himself.

Top Bottom