• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Apple 16-inch MacBook Pro Combo DAC/AMP/Microphone/Speakers/Laptop Review

Sharur

Starting Price: $2399.00 (Schiit Yggdrasil Original Retail Price)

The one I have for review costs $2799 (less than half the price of a Holo May) and boy does it come packed with features!

DAC/AMP Features:

* SINAD: Inaudible

* Frequency Response: Flat from 20 Hz to 20 kHz

* Power: Can easily make my Etymotic ER2SE clip (much more than Apple Dongle)

* Max Sample Rate: 96 kHz

* Max Bit Depth: 32-bit

* Capable of double amping with zero clipping

* Volume Control: Digital with "infinite" steps (touch bar)

Microphone Sound Demo

Speakers Sound Demo

Generic Laptop Features:

* 4.4 lbs

* 100 Wh Battery

* Four Thunderbolt 3 ports

* 16-inch 3072x1920 Display, 500 nits of brightness, 99% DCI-P3 Coverage, 1350:1 contrast ratio (sadly not OLED or mLED)

* Processor: 2.3 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9

* Memory: 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4

* Graphics: AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 4 GB

* Storage: 1 TB SSD

* Incredible trackpad

* Good Keyboard

* 720P Webcam
zsWIz7LLH2qomsxTp8vR6sjm0jsxfPaT1alGIU3oTPrTgE7N8ZJLlhoJsq4KArNMdZcnTx-mwfBc81KkNZs5wIG1zfVKMIEtnuIxJOZFrI2HQoWaA43khlxW8yV6frW_NcMhAGhX=s0
:(

DAC/AMP Listening Test:

The fidelity out of this tiny 3.5 mm headphone socket is insane! I blind tested it against a Topping E30 when double amping, picked this as the E30, and didn't test again! :)

Tough decision on whether this or the Schiit Yggdrasil is a better buy. Personally, I would take the Yggi (as some call it) over the MacBook. I don't know, it just makes me feel a certain way. A way no other DAC can....

Before you hate on the Schiit Yggdrasil, just know that it must be left on for 2 months straight to reach optimal slam and macrodynamics.

Last edited:

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Starting Price: $2399.00 (Schiit Yggdrasil Original Retail Price)
Before you hate on the Schiit Yggdrasil just know that it must be left on for 2 months straight to reach optimal slam and macrodynamics.

I was with you until you went … there.
soon said macro and micro dynamics would be improved with audiophile AC Power cord? And the bass bloom and the soundstage and … :rolleyes:

OP
Sharur

Sharur

I was with you until you went … there.
soon said macro and micro dynamics would be improved with audiophile AC Power cord? And the bass bloom and the soundstage and … :rolleyes:
Bass bloom is a function of frequency response and isn't desired. Soundstage comes from the size of the DAC making me feel like what I'm hearing is bigger.

OP
Sharur

Sharur

My dream setup is schiit Yggdrasil, schiit ragnarok, and etymotic er2se

Top Bottom