• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

apparently we and certain audiophile reviewers (NRD) are listening to completely different things when we review DACs

RHO

Major Contributor

Eddy H.

If you send me a Holo May for free I'll swear it's the best dac in the galaxy too! Kind of funny how that works.

Eddy H.

This thing he talks about with the length of time it takes a cymbal to decay - absurd. How can he possibly determine that the cymbal decay is longer on one of the DACs when - even if it was a real phenomenon - at best the decay might linger for a fraction of a second longer?

So listen on one DAC, get up, unplug the DAC, plug in the other one, listen again. Takes at least a couple of minutes to do. And yet that memory of how long the decay lasted is still so strong that he can be sure it lingers on for less time on one of them? Yeah, of course he can.

Fact is he just thinks he can because claiming to be able to spot things like that is one of the accepted audiophile merit badges.

The reason other people don't hear it is because it's a) not real and b) even if it was it would still be impossible to perceive it. Nothing to do with them 'listening for different things.'

What actually separates golden ears from the rest of us is their heightened ability to kid themselves along. I think it comes from reading too many magazine reviews at an impressionable age.
I think the speakers have more to do with decay than the dac it self.

DSJR

Major Contributor
What actually separates golden ears from the rest of us is their heightened ability to kid themselves along. I think it comes from reading too many magazine reviews at an impressionable age.
My ears are crap now, so it can't be that Mart. Reading too many reviews from an impressionable age (is nine young enough?) sure gets me into very serious shit trouble though in some quarters... Hey ho...

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My ears are crap now, so it can't be that Mart. Reading too many reviews from an impressionable age (is nine young enough?) sure gets me into very serious shit trouble though in some quarters... Hey ho...
'Trouble' is your middle name Dave :D

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
"So listen on one DAC, get up, unplug the DAC, plug in the other one, listen again. Takes at least a couple of minutes to do. And yet that memory of how long the decay lasted is still so strong that he can be sure it lingers on for less time on one of them? Yeah, of course he can." Is this is a joke? My audio memory is maybe good for a second or two MAX!
I took his point as sarcasm.

Top Bottom