• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

APPARENTLY DEFECTIVE S.M.S.L AO200

DACslut

My unit has it's L/R channels reversed when using the USB input from 2 different Windows 10 computers. Also tried 2 different USB cables (2.0 & 3.0) with no difference. USB sticks play files channel correct as does the balanced/unbalanced analog inputs. I'll be testing the BT just before boxing it up. I know it can be fixed with an Equalizer APO filter adjustment, however that's a clunky solution and doesn't properly address the DAC's underlying hardware defect.

Has anyone else encountered this defect with their AO200, DA-9 or any other DAC they've used? Quite the enigmatic anomaly that shouldn't have gotten past S.M.S.L's factory quality control department. Oh well, it's going back to the 'zon tomorrow. :rolleyes::facepalm:

Last edited:
OP
D

DACslut

My unit has it's L/R channels reversed when using the USB input from 2 different Windows 10 computers. Also tried 2 different USB cables (2.0 & 3.0) with no difference. USB sticks play files channel correct as does the balanced/unbalanced analog inputs. I'll be testing the BT just before boxing it up. I know it can be fixed with an Equalizer APO filter adjustment, however that's a clunky solution and doesn't properly address the DAC's underlying hardware defect.

Has anyone else encountered this defect with their AO200, DA-9 or any other DAC they've used? Quite the enigmatic anomaly that shouldn't have gotten past S.M.S.L's factory quality control department. Oh well, it's going back to the 'zon tomorrow. :rolleyes::facepalm:

Bluetooth stereo is correct also.

d'Brit

Thanks for bringing that issue to our attention. I'm going to be buying an AO200 and as soon as I get it plugged into the system I'll check for that issue. I'll be using an external DAC and the RCA inputs, so hopefully I can skirt around it if needed.

OP
D

DACslut

Thanks for bringing that issue to our attention. I'm going to be buying an AO200 and as soon as I get it plugged into the system I'll check for that issue. I'll be using an external DAC and the RCA inputs, so hopefully I can skirt around it if needed.

The problem is with Win10's L/R balance control panel which ONLY occurs with USB input. The slider buttons are reversed but the actual stereo playback is channel correct. I'm on my 2nd unit that has this glitch. I'm sending it back for that reason and the incorrect Bluetooth LED display spelling.

Toku

Major Contributor
I have tested the AO200 many times with two Windows 10 PCs and a USB connection and the R-Lch is fine. The music players used in Test are Groove Music and Media Player for Windows, and Foober2K and TuneBrowser.
Therefore, you should think that there is another cause for AO200 without any problem.
In the balance adjustment of Windows 10, the letters L-R are reversed. This is a bug in Windows 10.

escape2

Addicted to Fun and Learning
In the balance adjustment of Windows 10, the letters L-R are reversed. This is a bug in Windows 10.
I am using Loxjie D30 DAC, and under Windows 10 the L/R sliders are not reversed.

OP
D

DACslut

I have tested the AO200 many times with two Windows 10 PCs and a USB connection and the R-Lch is fine. The music players used in Test are Groove Music and Media Player for Windows, and Foober2K and TuneBrowser.
Therefore, you should think that there is another cause for AO200 without any problem.

NONE of my several other DAC's have the control panel L/R channel sliders reversed, so the problem isn't with Windows but the AO200's firmware or driver. As I've made clear here and/or elsewhere, I eventually determined the actual stereo playback is correct.

arkelectron

My AO200 arrived without the screen working. Audio output was working. I discovered the FFC cable to the screen had bent and shorted pins.

Top Bottom