• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Apos announces FiiO R7

VMAT4

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Apos emailed an announcement for the FiiO R7, on 16th of March, 2023. I'm surprised a thread has not yet been started. The piece looks promising. It runs Android 10. Funny, I searched for PEQ apps and only found graphic eq apps for Android. Does anybody have any insight on the lack of PEQ apps for Android?

OP
VMAT4

VMAT4

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Ooops, PowerAmp Equalizer does PEQ!

ThatGuyYouKnow

I keep getting close to ordering this. I guess I first need to see just how responsive it is as a music player, and whether it has any annoying hang-ups.

ThatGuyYouKnow

I saw a review which stated that audio from the digital inputs cannot be routed to the digital outputs. That is disappointing for those of us who wanted this to function as a digital hub in addition to being a streamer.

Moderate Dionysianism

Would love to see measurements. Maybe I will buy mine for drop shipping to Amir. Does anybody know how that works?

The best way is to start a direct conversation via @amirm's profile, like this:

1679936934191.png

JaMaSt

Forum Donor
If anyone wants to ship this to me, I'll be happy to review it. It may take 3 or 4 years though..... :)

bt3

Thank you JaMaSt for posting video.
I like what the fellow had to say in the video, that maybe the R7 will motivate others
to release similar devices, devices which may improve upon the R7.
What catagory for these devices? Lifestyle-micro-player?
DAP-in-a-box? Oh the possibilities.

Last edited:

Godataloss

On the fence about keeping it. It's a neat device, but so far browsing the music I've added to it via external hard drive has been awkward with the Fiio music app- searching and browsing a large collection is tough on the small screen unless you have it in a desktop environment- which wasn't how I'd planned to use it. The unit is quite responsive though, even after adding nearly 80,000 files. So far you can't access the unit with your cellphone via the Fiio app- it's not available in the device list. I believe Fiio plans to add it. This would save the device for me. Unsure if there is another way as I've had limited time to explore it. Sound quality seems excellent via headphone amp and using the coax out. Not sure it's enough to justify the price for my use.

turtable with fiio r7.jpg

Godataloss

Fiio responded to my request for clarification on their app control for the unit quickly, however their response wasn't very promising

fiio r7 support response.jpg

Godataloss

As an android Device there are several apps than be used
Of course there are obviously gobs of media players. But tell me, which app can I install on it and then use my cell phone to control it? I'd prefer not to have to waste my time figuring out how to implement a feature Fiio claims to support natively.

JaMaSt

Forum Donor
tough on the small screen unless you have it in a desktop environment- which wasn't how I'd planned to use it.
I think it's pretty much a desktop unit - designed to be used with headphones and/or line-out to desktop speakers -with you sitting right next to it at your computer.

Godataloss

I think it's pretty much a desktop unit - designed to be used with headphones and/or line-out to desktop speakers -with you sitting right next to it at your computer.
I knew that was primary, but I wanted a higher power headphone amp and the ability to play my digital collection and access Band Camp without running a PC in my main system. I figured if I could control it with an app, the screen size wouldn't matter.

JaMaSt

Forum Donor
I knew that was primary, but I wanted a higher power headphone amp and the ability to play my digital collection and access Band Camp without running a PC in my main system. I figured if I could control it with an app, the screen size wouldn't matter.
Yeah, it's a niche product for sure. It's basically a non-mobile DAP. That being said, FiiO does make some good products. It just may not be for you.

Godataloss

Well they are very responsive to say the least- less than 24 hours- I really appreciate that. Truly excellent customer service to provide such a thought out answer in a short period of time. I wonder if this was a documented procedure or they developed it last night? I'm hoping if I go through it all, it controls more than just the volume- that part seems unclear.

I really don't think it's a niche product because It fills too many niches competently. The headphone amp is truly top notch and drives my Aeon 2s far better than anything else I have. I want to want to keep it.

1687954806726.png

poxymoron

I really don't think it's a niche product because It fills too many niches competently. The headphone amp is truly top notch and drives my Aeon 2s far better than anything else I have. I want to want to keep it.
I agree. It offers so much in one package. I'll be getting one to use with headphones and my main 2.1 system. For me it would be nice to mirror the screen on my mobile to control it when using it on my 2.1 system, as the R7 will be located away from my listening position.

The display port mode looks interesting, offering another option for control:

Kudos to Fiio for their prompt reply and Kudos too for their teardown video:

Godataloss

I just tried the 'server/client' mode of the Fiio Music app suggested in their last email. I thought that it was going to be a great solution initially, however it just doesn't function consistently. It connects fine and will play files that have been 'recently added' to the unit (about the last 100 or so). It will also let you navigate to the external storage (I have all my music on an external 4tb drive), but it will not consistently open the folders containing the music files. One in ten times it does and will allow me to select a file.

I considered adding a secondary display as @poxymoron suggests, but I'm not convinced it's worth it with the wonky file system of the Fiio Music App. I really think I'd be better off using my old Surface tablet and running Monkey Mote at that point and saving the $700 for the next version with better software. I might even break down and try Roon.

Top Bottom