• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Apollon Purifi with Project Tube Box DS2

gaburko

Hi Forum Gurus,
I'm contemplating the purchase of the Apollon Purifi Mini power amp and I was wondering if the below setup would work.
On the balanced inputs of the Apollon I will be hooking up my RME Adi-2 DAC, so no issues there, the RME will be the volume control. However, I also have a Turntable with a MC cartridge hooked up to a Project phono stage which I was planning to hook up to the RCA inputs of the Apollon. The problem is that the project has a max output of 500 mV and the Apollon required a minimum of 1.5Vrms. So i was thinking of getting Schiit Saga S to sit in between the phono and the power amp.
First question: do you guys think this would work?
Second question: are there other alternatives to this? I am looking for something simple and small to be able to amplify to 1.5Vrms?
thanks!

litemotiv

First question: do you guys think this would work?

Technically that should work, but it's likely that the Apollon doesn't allow XLR and RC to be connected at the same time (assumption, i could be wrong), so are you prepared to switch cables when you want to change the source?

Second question: are there other alternatives to this? I am looking for something simple and small to be able to amplify to 1.5Vrms?

One option would be to remove the RME and look for an alternative product (DAC+preamp) that has both digital inputs and a phono stage. Or one with at least analog inputs together with a separate phono stage that is used as an input, like the RME ADI-2 Pro.

OP
G

gaburko

Technically that should work, but it's likely that the Apollon doesn't allow XLR and RC to be connected at the same time (assumption, i could be wrong), so are you prepared to switch cables when you want to change the source?
Thank you for the reply. Technically, this should work as the Apollon has a switch at the back to activate either the Balanced or the RCA unbalanced inputs, so it would mean i need to activate the RCA input when I want to listen to the turntable.

Re the RME, I am really hesitant to remove that DAC from my digital path as it's an incredible device and for me it's an "endgame" re DAC :)

litemotiv

Thank you for the reply. Technically, this should work as the Apollon has a switch at the back to activate either the Balanced or the RCA unbalanced inputs

That's good to know!

I am really hesitant to remove that DAC from my digital path as it's an incredible device

Yes i understand, with the ADI-2 Pro you would have the same product (plus analog inputs) so that could be interesting, but it will be a bit more expensive obviously...

Good luck!

Gorgonzola

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think the robust solution would be to route both the RME and Project phono through a preamp that will handle both XLR and RCA inputs and convert the single-ended inputs to balanced differential on output, and hence the Apollon. Candidates would be a Schiit Freya S or Topping Pre90

Top Bottom