• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Apollon Purifi 1ET400A 5 Channel Amplifier

wdwrkr

I am very pleased with the Apollon Purifi 1ET400A 5 channel amplifier that I received a couple of weeks ago.

https://www.apollonaudio.com/apollon-pure-5-system-purifi-1et400a-multichannel-amplifier/

My amp is a rack mountable version which does have the on switch up front. See the pictures I included below.
It replaced a couple of B&K amplifiers that I have had since the 90s.
I have it connected to a Marantz AV8801 processor, recent vintage Miller&Kreisel S150 (L,R,C) and S150T (SR,SL) speakers
and an SVS SB13+ subwoofer. I found that for my setup I could set the gain to 20.5 dB
(the choices are 12.8, 20.5, 27.5 and 29).

I have mostly been listening to music using Pure Direct mode and I am definitely noticing sounds in certain
recordings that I was not hearing before. I mostly listen to stereo and multi-channel albums on a NAS
that I play through my OPPO UDP 203. (I wish reasonably priced processors could stream multi-channel music.)

Tibor of Apollon Audio was most helpful in answering my questions.
Besides the rack option and the on switch in front option, I did ask to have the OPA1612 op amps mounted
on DIP 8 sockets. I don't expect that I will ever replace the op amps, but wanted to have the option.
The only drawbacks to the purchase is that I did have to wait about 2 1/2 months to get it.
Also, I ended up having to get my own power cord since one is not included for U.S. orders.

Attachments

• Apollon_Purifi_5_Channel_01.jpg
    Apollon_Purifi_5_Channel_01.jpg
    484.7 KB · Views: 1,149
  • Apollon_Purifi_5_Channel_02.jpg
    Apollon_Purifi_5_Channel_02.jpg
    527.4 KB · Views: 1,278
  • Apollon_Purifi_5_Channel_03.jpg
    Apollon_Purifi_5_Channel_03.jpg
    494.3 KB · Views: 1,144

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Apollon is beautiful outside and inside as well, with their build quality and layout is second to none.

OP
wdwrkr

wdwrkr

On the Marantz AV8801, Pure Direct mode turns off audio processing like Audyssey. I did not realize until a few months ago that the AV8801 can only do 24bit,48kHz when Audyssey is turned on. Since a great number of my albums are 24bit,88.2kHz (ripped SACDs), or 24bit,96kHz, I want to make sure that I am hearing them as intended. My next upgrade will be to a processor that can do 4K video and that does not down sample. I am looking forward to Amir's review of the Anthem AVM70 to see if it will be a good candidate.

f1shb0n3

Forum Donor
On the Marantz AV8801, Pure Direct mode turns off audio processing like Audyssey. I did not realize until a few months ago that the AV8801 can only do 24bit,48kHz when Audyssey is turned on. Since a great number of my albums are 24bit,88.2kHz (ripped SACDs), or 24bit,96kHz, I want to make sure that I am hearing them as intended. My next upgrade will be to a processor that can do 4K video and that does not down sample. I am looking forward to Amir's review of the Anthem AVM70 to see if it will be a good candidate.
From what I've read it seems that 48kHz would be the limit of any room correction DSP system including Dirac Live which is considered one of the best around. What you will gain in terms of sound quality improvement with Dirac Live for example though would be so much more than the theoretical and probably inaudible differences between 48kHz and 96kHz. Check out Amir's YouTube videos on high resolution audio analysis for an objective analysis on the topic.

The only plausible theoretical benefit that high-res can have is in terms of "time resolution", but again this is where Dirac Live and other DSP systems that do impulse response can help much better by optimizing your speakers' impulse response. The difference it makes is very audible and actually improves your listening experience. I was chasing the bits and kilohertzes myself too not long ago after getting a high-res streaming subscription, but eventually had to trust my ears and go with what actually and irrefutably sounds better to me - corrected frequency response that follows my preferred target curve and corrected impulse response, both delivered superbly well by Dirac at 24bit/48kHz.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Looks great. I built the Eval1 with an SMPS 1200 A 400 and a Ghent case. Sounds like nothing at all which is the whole idea.

Top Bottom