• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Apollon NCMP4350 Hypex Based Class D ok or too much?

Pier75

Hi folks,

Currently thinking of adding an amp to my current setup, I hit the limits of my amplifier-knowledge. So before I put in an order that I might regret I thought to post my questions here and see if anyone can point out if and what I may not understand.
My current setup is:
  • Denon AVR X4300h
  • 2x Mission 734 (8 Ohm 125W, front)
  • 2x Mission 733 (8 Ohm 100W, rear, to be replaced with the 734)

I use it to watch movies with surround sound, listen to music and provide background music when throwing a party.
My living room is 55m2.
The plan:
Get an Apollon NCMP4350 (hypex NCore NC502MP inside). Then use the Denon pre-out to connect it to this amp. Connect the trigger so it turns on when I turn on my Denon.

Now I have two questions:
1. Is the power of this amp ok for these speakers? I like some headroom in the amp power so there is less chance of distortion when playing a bit loud. I will be using it for many years to come so a bit bigger than needed can't harm right? Or would this be overkill on power?
2. The Apollon has 2.4V input sensitivity and the Denon has some vague numbers in their manual (see attached screenshot). Does anyone know what the output voltage of my Denon is? Also, is this the same for all the pre-out channels? No strange 'well the fronts output more V on the pre-out than the surrounds'? I was reading this thread and that confused me a lot: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ut-voltage-matching-external-power-amp.15468/

It's a bit of an adventure. I really like how the Missions sound, even though they are not top of the line hifi stuff, they have a nice coloring. Also the Audyssy from Denon is great to my ears. I just think the Denon is not getting the best out of the Missions and they would be happier with a better amp. Even though the Denon sounds pretty good already. No way to know how it will sound though, it's a leap of faith.

Attachments

• x4300h.jpg
    x4300h.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 65

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
More power on the amplifier is never too bad, quite the contrary. Speakers blow usually because they lack and distortion hits the drivers.

Where are you based? Apollon has money back guarantee so that you can test and return if needed, which I doubt you would.

OP
P

Pier75

I live in the Netherlands which is about 1200km from Slovenia. So the Hypex modules go from the Netherlands to Slovenia, then back again :).
I chatted with support on their site and the person I spoke said that if it is broken it can be sent back and they will pay for the shipping costs. These are around 36 euro's if you're not in a hurry. So they really seem to stand by their product. He was very helpful as well.
After seeing the teardown of an Apollon amp by Amir it seems the build quality is really high.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I live in the Netherlands which is about 1200km from Slovenia. So the Hypex modules go from the Netherlands to Slovenia, then back again :).
I chatted with support on their site and the person I spoke said that if it is broken it can be sent back and they will pay for the shipping costs. These are around 36 euro's if you're not in a hurry. So they really seem to stand by their product. He was very helpful as well.
After seeing the teardown of an Apollon amp by Amir it seems the build quality is really high.
I own 1, sold the 2nd and about to receive my 3rd. IMO their build quality and layout is second to none. They could answer the e-mails faster though...

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
See this.

Golfx

Forum Donor
Seems like the hypex ncore252 would work fine too for your speakers.

Top Bottom