• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Apollon Hypex NC2K Monoblock Amplifier Review

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks. I assume the Apollon likewise has very high DF.
Here is another, from https://www.soundstagenetwork.com/i...rs&catid=97:amplifier-measurements&Itemid=154

Chart 4 - Damping factor as a function of frequency
1604143945606.png

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I agree, and would go one further; the UCD is more than good enough for most people. NCore takes it to another level but has no appreciable audible difference to most people. We have surpassed ludicrous low levels of distortion.

I agree. On an objective basis, for 99.9% of uses a UCD 252 or 502 is all that is needed. The other .1% own speakers that have such low sensitivity or whacky low impedance, they need a Lincoln arc welder, not an amp.

thefsb

Addicted to Fun and Learning
@amirm Great review. I sure understand not wanting to cook your precision loads.

Internally it looks quite respectable for sure. The exterior leaves a bit to be desired. Panels gaps and bends visible on the rear. Certainly not remotely good enough for a multi thousand dollar amplifier...

View attachment 88628

There's no bracing for the rear panel at all and no central screws for the top or bottom panels. It wouldn't pass muster at a Japanese manufacturer.
And no safety stickers.

Did you purchase the optional input buffers or did you go with onboard input buffer?

I auditioned a pair without input buffers for a few days. Then I recently returned them and purchased another pair with Sonic Imagery 990 input buffers. They have a very clean almost clinical sound to them. I like the clean and precise mid-range. However the highs do seem to be a bit rolled off.

I auditioned a pair without input buffers for a few days. Then I recently returned them and purchased another pair with Sonic Imagery 990 input buffers. They have a very clean almost clinical sound to them. I like the clean and precise mid-range. However the highs do seem to be a bit rolled off.
Thanks for the response. Did you not like sound without the optional input buffers? I am trying to determine with or without.

Thanks for the response. Did you not like sound without the optional input buffers? I am trying to determine with or without.

I did like the sound without the input buffers. With the input buffers the overallsound is slightly more refined. I'd say the upgrade would be worth $200 or less. But if you're having to pay $500 or more for someone to install the buffers for you, the upgrade is not worth the marginal difference in sound quality.

martin900

Any idea if this would take 2 Ohm loads without funky clipping / distortion in the sub 100Hz region? The spec states 2K @ 2 Ohms but I'm still curious.

Spinitch

CE marking is an administrative marking that indicates conformity with health, safety, and environmental protection standards for products sold within the European Economic Area (EEA).[1] (It is not a quality indicator or a certification mark.[2]) The CE marking is also found on products sold outside the EEA that have been manufactured to EEA standards. This makes the CE marking recognizable worldwide even to people who are not familiar with the European Economic Area. It is in that sense like the FCC Declaration of Conformityused for selling certain electronic devices in the United States.

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For a typical consumer electronics product to display the CE Mark, it must be in conformance with the Low Voltage Directive. (Low voltage means input or output voltages between 50-1500 VAC or 75-1500 VDC.) Below is from its Wikipedia page (underlines are mine).

The Low Voltage Directive (LVD) 2006/95/EC is one of the oldest Single Market Directives adopted by the European Union before the "New" or "Global" Approach.[1] The Directive provides common broad objectives for safety regulations, so that electrical equipment approved by any EU member country will be acceptable for use in all other EU countries. The Low Voltage Directive does not supply any specific technical standards that must be met, instead relying on IEC technical standards to guide designers to produce safe products. Products that conform to the general principles of the Low Voltage Directive and the relevant particular safety standards are marked with the CE marking to indicate compliance and acceptance throughout the EU. Conformance is asserted by the manufacturer based on its conformity assessment.​
The new version of Low Voltage Directive version of 2014/35/EU, dated 26 February 2014 and is applicable from 20 April 2016. The new version aligns with the New Legislative Framework[2] of the European Union, though actual technical requirements do not differ much from the older version. But the legal and general requirements have changed significantly (obligations of manufacturers, dealers, marketers) and penalties are called for in the event of infringements of the directive. They must be determined by the respective Member States and should be (literally) effective, proportionate and dissuasive.​

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Does anybody know the input sensitivity in volts to reach full power?
The first plot in Amir's measurements showed that it took 0.172 V to deliver 5 W into a 4 Ω load. Since power scales with voltage squared, the required input to deliver 2000 W is 0.172*sqrt(2000/5) = 3.44 V.

Amir's measured voltage gain of 28.35 dB also matched well with Apollon's spec of 28 dB.

Labjr

Major Contributor
I'd like to see these companies add Neutrik Speakon output connectors to their amps.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd like to see these companies add Neutrik Speakon output connectors to their amps.
You can configure it so if you wish.

Clipboard01.jpg

Pultzar

The first plot in Amir's measurements showed that it took 0.172 V to deliver 5 W into a 4 Ω load. Since power scales with voltage squared, the required input to deliver 2000 W is 0.172*sqrt(2000/5) = 3.44 V.

Amir's measured voltage gain of 28.35 dB also matched well with Apollon's spec of 28 dB.

Thank you! I wasn't sure about the math.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As I perused various postings for the implementation of xlr connectors, noticed that Apollon mounted the connector as I would expect for AES48 compliance. Many others mount the connector from the inside. While prettier, if using the suggested Amphenol connector, it makes it more problematic to ground pin 1 as close as possible to the case. With the connector mounted from the outside, the cutout is smaller and can make a solid ground connection to the case. :cool:

Top Bottom