• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Apollon Hypex NC2K Monoblock Amplifier Review

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
A shame we never had more Apollon amplifiers reviewed in ASR. Anyone in the US willing to lend one to Amir?

da Choge

Forum Donor
shame we never had more Apollon amplifiers reviewed
Agree completely. Their build quality appears to be second to none. In fact, an Apollon is still at the top of my list as my next amp. Can anyone give me a better idea what kind of fees and timelines are involved in ordering one from overseas?

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Agree completely. Their build quality appears to be second to none. In fact, an Apollon is still at the top of my list as my next amp. Can anyone give me a better idea what kind of fees and timelines are involved in ordering one from overseas?
I guess it depends on module availability from the manufacturer, with chip shortages ruining all markets, and if the model is standard versus custom. So a few to several weeks waiting I guess.

pfgiv

A shame we never had more Apollon amplifiers reviewed in ASR. Anyone in the US willing to lend one to Amir?
I just purchased a pair of second hand Apollon PNC1200 monos yesterday, but my guess after insuring one for replacement cost, it would be over $100 just to ship them to Amir. After unnecessarily spending the amount I did, not sure I want to come out of pocket for even more, but maybe in time.

digital_av

I'm considering 4 x 21" subwoofers in a room with the open rack close to the listening position. Any idea if these Apollon NC2K would do the job? It's great that they have no fan but I'm a bit concerned about the thermal after prolonged use. I would also like to stack them.

Cont./peak output: 130 dB cont. / 133 dB peak
Frequency Range: 18Hz - 200Hz / -10dB
Efficiency: 95dB / 1W/m
Power handling: 4000 W
Impedance: 4 Ω

nerdoldnerdith

I'm considering 4 x 21" subwoofers in a room with the open rack close to the listening position. Any idea if these Apollon NC2K would do the job? It's great that they have no fan but I'm a bit concerned about the thermal after prolonged use. I would also like to stack them.

Cont./peak output: 130 dB cont. / 133 dB peak
Frequency Range: 18Hz - 200Hz / -10dB
Efficiency: 95dB / 1W/m
Power handling: 4000 W
Impedance: 4 Ω
Is this for home theater? For live sound you might have to worry about the amps overheating if they are being pushed to their limits for hours. For home theater it isn't really a concern. The amp is extremely efficient and doesn't put out a lot of heat.

pfgiv

I just purchased a pair of second hand Apollon PNC1200 monos yesterday, but my guess after insuring one for replacement cost, it would be over $100 just to ship them to Amir. After unnecessarily spending the amount I did, not sure I want to come out of pocket for even more, but maybe in time.
@Matias @Ornette

Eye candy for the time being

C911AF46-D58C-4A72-9077-881E33991C33.jpeg

Now it’s time to dig in the couch cushions for change to get a pair of sopra 2s

digital_av

Is this for home theater? For live sound you might have to worry about the amps overheating if they are being pushed to their limits for hours. For home theater it isn't really a concern. The amp is extremely efficient and doesn't put out a lot of heat.
It's for home theater in a relatively small room(6 meters x 5 meters x 2.6m height). The recommended amplifiers are rated 3000 watts/channel and the manufacturer talks a lot about proper amplifiers without compression so I was concerned that the nc2k may be underpowered or get overheated.

Apollon Audio

Audio Company
It's for home theater in a relatively small room(6 meters x 5 meters x 2.6m height). The recommended amplifiers are rated 3000 watts/channel and the manufacturer talks a lot about proper amplifiers without compression so I was concerned that the nc2k may be underpowered or get overheated.
In my opinion you won’t be able to overheat our PNC2K amplifiers. They are built like tanks with 10mm aluminium enclosure all around plus the NC2K modules are mounted on very big heatsinks 300mmX160mmX50mm. We tested these amps with very big PA subwoofers and they performed without any problems or overheating.

DearSX

4 x 21" in a small room! Wow! that would be incredible bass!

If the subs are 82db sensitive and you put in 100 watts per sub, that would be about 105dB at 9 feet away. With 500 watts each, that is 112dB! At 2000 watts each you need to put each amp on its own independent power socket/wiring and be hitting 118dB!

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
4 x 21" in a small room! Wow! that would be incredible bass!

If the subs are 82db sensitive and you put in 100 watts per sub, that would be about 105dB at 9 feet away. With 500 watts each, that is 112dB! At 2000 watts each you need to put each amp on its own independent power socket/wiring and be hitting 118dB!
Believe me that 118 dB isn't that loud if it's under about 40 Hz. My system does that during movies. Above that frequency and then we're talking. Oh and it will run fine on standard American 15A circuits.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh and it will run fine on standard American 15A circuits.
I cannot imagine why my 1968 built home has all 20 amp breakers & 20 amp outlets (with 2 different circuits in the living room).
But I am happy with it (since I put in a newer 160 amp service box (the old one was 100 amp & put in new breakers, outlets & switches) and split all of the house ceiling lighting off (the other odd thing is that all the ceiling lighting was tied into 1 circuit).

DearSX

Believe me that 118 dB isn't that loud if it's under about 40 Hz. My system does that during movies. Above that frequency and then we're talking. Oh and it will run fine on standard American 15A circuits.
Interesting. I can see why it's not so loud in a way coming from car audio. In the car we can get over 120db relatively easy because of gain and I love it. My Supra being a hatchback gives me a huge boost down low, in room the same woofers f3 is like 55hz.

Jero

Hi Amirm and everyone,

I have a question regarding the Switchmode powersupplies in the high power D Class Amps.
For example you play u piece of Classical music with huge dynamics, al soft and sweet and then a clash of the orchestra, the amount of peak current needed is really high.
Will a switchmode supply be able to deliver this real fast powerhunger or is a (un)regulated huge capacitor bank with trafo better in this regard?

Thanks all,
Jero

Last edited:

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi Amirm and everyone,

I have a question regarding the Switchmode powersupplies in the high power D Class Amps.
For example you play u piece of Classical music with huge dynamics, al soft and sweet and then a clash of the orchestra, the amount of peak current needed is really high.
Will a switchmode supply be able to deliver this real fast powerhunger or is a (un)regulated huge capacitor bank with trafo better in this regard?

Thanks all,
Jero
Welcome to ASR!

The current will come from the capacitors.

In this case, the important difference between a typical unregulated linear power supply and a switch mode power supply is that in the linear case, the capacitors are recharged at the rectified mains AC frequency (in the US, after rectified, it will be 120 Hz). Switch mode PS will usually be operating in the hundreds of kHz range and their capacitors are recharged (replenished) much more often, and therefore don't need to be as large as in the linear case.

Jero

That could be measured.
that could be real interesting, isnt that the slew rate in uSec? maybe its a non issue, i have no idea. All measurements about noise and distortion is nice ofcourse but ya. it also nice to kknow if a amplifier is capable of following the dynamics asked of it? Dont shoot me, :) im just a hobbyist.

Sokel

Master Contributor
Hi Amirm and everyone,

Thanks all,
Jero
I have tested high demanding classical plays a lot of times,mostly with REW's SPL logger.
As long as your speakers can handle such power there's no problem,a high power class D amp will give you the peaks as they are.

Take a look at this example:

nvidia_7

What is causing the huge discrepancy here between hypex's measurements and these measurements? Hypex's data sheet shows -95db THD+N at 1Kw, and these measurements show -67db THD+N at 1kw. Thats quite a big difference. Of course hypex's measurements are unbuffered, but going from their unbuffered 20db of gain to the buffered gain of 28db should add nowhere near +28db of distortion.

Attachments

• THD.png
    THD.png
    1 MB · Views: 12
Top Bottom