• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

jmillar

What "problem"?

I don't think so. No audible improvements... unless to put the peak power to 1200W/8ohms? (not bridged, but one channel driven). Who on earth need that much power?:cool:

First, you have to think your gear cannot put the AS1200 to its maximum level. Neither the CA CXN or the D70 are able to reach 5V output. Then, your PL300 are 90db sensitive and can handle 300W max under 4 ohms. More power than an AS1200 alone would be useless.

The new D70 goes up to 5V (The SME ADI2 FS goes way beyond that, but you don't really "need" it.
You already have all the headroom you may need. :)

D technology is evolving at incredible speed. It is taking over the amp field "by stealth". If in the future you come up with a "use case" that requires more power new, better modules will probably have been developed by then.

Last edited:
OP
VintageFlanker

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Last edited:
D

Deleted member 15250

sorry to resurrect a dead thread, but I had a couple of 1200as2 amps too and they both had internal transformer hum.. it was not enough to count as a real problem or defect, but for someone like me who uses his speakers nearfield sitting next to the amps/preamps, it was annoying enough to make me get rid of the amps. lol I know a nearfield speaker definitely doesn't need an amp as powerful as the 1200as2

bambadoo

Have 5 1200as2 modules. Every one has some transformer buzz. Some more than others. One is almost totally silent. Asked icepower about it but have not gotten a response yet.

Sokel

Master Contributor
Have 5 1200as2 modules. Every one has some transformer buzz. Some more than others. One is almost totally silent. Asked icepower about it but have not gotten a response yet.
Mine had a slight transformer hum for about 1-2 weeks when it was new.You had to go very close to hear it.
Eventually stopped completely ever since.

bambadoo

Good to hear. Will let it settle for some time. One has played for a couple of hours. Actually it got a little better only after 1 hour. Its the only one that is finished. The others have just been powered on to see if the transformer is buzzing.

dorakeg

I just bought a 2nd hand mivera amp. Waiting for it to arrive. Will be pairing it with an old set of dynaudio audience 52... Can't wait to see how it will perform!!

First time getting a class D amp. This amp isn't hypex not purifi but at tits price and power, can't really complain.

dorakeg

Good to hear. Will let it settle for some time. One has played for a couple of hours. Actually it got a little better only after 1 hour. Its the only one that is finished. The others have just been powered on to see if the transformer is buzzing.

How's your buzzing issue?? I was told that the mivera unit (buying 2nd hand) has some buzzing too.

I am suspecting it's due to the transformer vibrating against the circuit board. Back then, I did try either silicone or super glue and it does work to get rid of the buzz. Will see if it will work this time.

D

Deleted member 48726

I'm sorry, but 1300 Eur for a noisy amateurishly built amplifier? -Damn. I don't care about the power, it's way more than 95 % will ever need but I think it looks very non-professional built. There is no bracing and of course then the plates will flex. Where the side plates meets the top and end plate looks like plain cuts and there is no attention made to make the two ends meet. They just expect a 10 mm. brushed aluminium fascia plate to sell the lot.

The 1200AS2 module is 400 Euro to the public and "packaging companies" probably pay closer to 250 per pc.

This is a rip-off if I ever saw one.

Last edited by a moderator:

bambadoo

How's your buzzing issue?? I was told that the mivera unit (buying 2nd hand) has some buzzing too.

I am suspecting it's due to the transformer vibrating against the circuit board. Back then, I did try either silicone or super glue and it does work to get rid of the buzz. Will see if it will work this time.
Its much better. One of my amps is in a small closet and the other one is in my main setup. Plays extremely good.

Sokel

Master Contributor
I'm sorry, but 1300 Eur for a noisy amateurishly built amplifier? -Damn. I don't care about the power, it's way more than 95 % will ever need but I think it looks very non-professional built. There is no bracing and of course then the plates will flex. Where the side plates meets the top and end plate looks like plain cuts and there is no attention made to make the two ends meet. They just expect a 10 mm. brushed aluminium fascia plate to sell the lot.

The 1200AS2 module is 400 Euro to the public and "packaging companies" probably pay closer to 250 per pc.

This is a rip-off if I ever saw one.
I built 4 channels myself (1200as2+300a2 hooked up together) for my actives with all the bells and whistles connected (except the amp and volt monitors) and the cost was under a thousand eur,more like close to 850.
1300 eur is a lot.

OP
VintageFlanker

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you take the review completely out of context...
The 1200AS2 module is 400 Euro to the public
It was absolutely not the case back in October 2019 when this was published.

I built 4 channels myself (1200as2+300a2 hooked up together) for my actives with all the bells and whistles connected (except the amp and volt monitors) and the cost was under a thousand eur,more like close to 850.
1300 eur is a lot.
It never was "1300€" and yeah, sure, DIY amps are cheaper than assembled ones. Just to state the obvious.;)

Sokel

Master Contributor

It never was "1300€" and yeah, sure, DIY amps are cheaper than assembled ones. Just to state the obvious.;)
Yes,1100 (VAT inc) is reasonable back then.Today is close to 1500 VAT inc,when the price of the module raised some 30-40? eur over time (430 eur) today at soundimports,I payed 399 about a year ago.

bambadoo

The 1200as2 module is 490USD (463Euro) each direct from icepower, but I think one must be registered as a company.
A decent chassis (100USD incl. shipping), some connectors (50USD) and cabling set (34USD), good screws, a bit of metal work and it is possible to make one yourself for about 700+USD?
The performance of this 700USD amp i really good. Low noise, low distortion and plenty of power. With all the possibilites/options that exists on the module itself it is a bargain.
Autosense is a great feature BTW.

Sokel

Master Contributor
The 1200as2 module is 490USD (463Euro) each direct from icepower, but I think one must be registered as a company.
A decent chassis (100USD incl. shipping), some connectors (50USD) and cabling set (34USD), good screws, a bit of metal work and it is possible to make one yourself for about 700+USD?
The performance of this 700USD amp i really good. Low noise, low distortion and plenty of power. With all the possibilites/options that exists on the module itself it is a bargain.
Autosense is a great feature BTW.
430 eur VAT and cables inc,but out of stock of course.

D

Deleted member 48726

Out of context? I admit that I first saw the year of review after my post, added a line with "maybe it made more sense at the date of review", then I went to apollon audio's webshop, saw that they still sell the thing for 1290 EUR and decided to delete my edit again.

I call it a rip-off.

Top Bottom