• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

dorakeg

I finally receive the mivera amp. Bought 2nd hand online. I understand the company has gone bust. But the amp is just an icepower as1200 module (no input buffers), so it should be very straightforward to replace if needed.

I didn't notice any transformer hum for the unit so far. The previous owner place some damping dynamats on the inside of the cover. Not sure what it does. He also changed the fuse (some "audiophile" fuse). Don't think it does anything.

My very first class D amp in my life!! Looks cool!!

Hipster Doofus

Forum Donor
Thank , nice job and answered my question …am I paying too much attention to sinad over power.

View attachment 101523Disclaimer: What goes next comes with: a) My not so great English b) Unprofessional pictures shot with my phone ;)

Apollon Audio AS1200 Review

Hi folks, I just received my new power amp and thought there was a lot to say about it. The aforementioned is the Apollon AS1200.

For those who don't know, Apollon Audio is based in Austria, and registered on ASR as @Apollon Audio (though not very active!). They custom-make power amps based on NCores, ICEpower and (recently) Purifi modules. All amps are built on order and may be customised on demand. Mine took almost 4 weeks to be delivered. For my concern, price of the unit is listed at 890€ (without VAT). In reality, you will have to pay a total of 1113€ for the unit shipped to EU and $1110 to US. From what I know, that is still the cheapest offering for an integration of this amp module (Rouge Audio comes next, then Nord).

Speaking of which, the module is the top of the line 1200AS2 from ICEpower. The 1200AS2 is supposed to provide up to 1200W/8Ω (one channel driven). Both channel driven, it could deliver 620W/8Ω or 700W/4Ω. Yep. That is an incredible amount of power. Usually, I would have taken these specs with a grain of salt. But in fact, specs from ICEpower datasheets often match with tier-measurements. Nonetheless, please consider this rated power for two channels is given during only 90 seconds before the module shut down. I would guess the continuous power must be more likely around 400-500W/8Ω. Still insanely strong.

Distortion-wise, we are not in State Of The Art performance territory, like Purifi or Benchmark. However, for my use with 8Ω-rated speakers, here is what I could expect:
View attachment 101524
Note that the majority of power would be available around 0.005% THD+N. Seems like the module starts clipping at around 450W or so. I come from much better measuring NCores (NC250MP), but honestly I don't think this is quite an audible concern (we'll see that later). Also, this module doesn't have the rise in HF we saw recently in @amirm review for the 300AS1:
View attachment 101525

External build

Back to the assembled amp itself, here is how it looks:
View attachment 101526View attachment 101527

Some huge 10mm aluminium frontplate, a power button in the logo area and that's all. Feets are massive and the unit is quite stable. Sides are kind of heat-sink style. Overall, a very simple industrial design, but I'd say I enjoy it.

View attachment 101528
On the rear side, it is still very simple with only 2 XLR inputs from Neutrik (RCAs on demand) and WBT 0307Cu binding posts. The IEC inlet is from Furutech. So all premium parts here. A bit disappointed to not see a serial number.

Apollon usually make this amp 292mm deep. I asked specifically for a "shorter" enclosure: 185mm deep, without binding posts:

View attachment 101529View attachment 101530

I'm very satisfied with this specific form-factor. First, it stacks perfectly with my RME ADI-2 DAC, then I may put it wherever I want. I wanted something this deep on purpose: to be portable. And yes... we're talking about a 620W power amp that can fill in my Eastpak bag!:eek:

Well, that seems all good... but in fact I really do have something to complain here: External build quality does NOT feel good in hands.

The top and rear plates are to blame. I have no idea about the metal used, but it is clearly not rigid/solid enough. Put a pressure with your finger on the center of either the rear or the top and the plates will bend (temporally, of course). Then, you will hear the top plate scraping against the front one. Good news here is you won't hear some rattle noise while massive bass music is playing (...hopefully). Also, it doesn't feel "fragile" either: I don't think it is going to break anytime soon . Nothing to complain about the front and the sides, both feel really thick and solid.

Overall, I would say that is more a concern about choice of material rather than the assembly itself. I also checked everywhere, there is no loose/untight screw to mention. So in short: I'm not that happy but not a deal-breaker situation either.

View attachment 101538
A little word about the LED: It appears to be blue on pictures, but it does really look white IRL. You may ask to Apollon if you want another specific color. The entire logo is glossy plastic. It does feel neither "premium" or "cheap" to me.

These being said, you have to know the 1200AS2 module won't run totally quiet. Once you turn the unit on, you will hear some kind of buzz/hum noise out of the amplifier. That is not an electronic noise which bleeds right to the speakers... Unless you turn the amp on BEFORE your preamp/DAC. In that case, you will hear that same noise put to audible levels straight in your tweeters. All turns back dead silent while I switched on my ADI-2 DAC, but the noise from the enclosure remained. In real usage, I don't hear the noise from my listening position, and in most cases it is still under my room ambient spl. Again, not a dramatic issue, but it deserve to be mentioned.

Edit: I recorded it, with my phone stick to the amp:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UUX7UvKA4f2NdbCoXwhxHstHlsTrRn8Z/view?usp=drivesdk
I turn on the AS1200 at 00:04.

Internal assembly

View attachment 101539View attachment 101540
Well... There is not much to talk about here: You can see the 1200AS2 module and... that's it.:D OK, more seriously, what matters here is how the thing is connected. From this overview, I'd say everything seems decently wired with protected and fixed cables.

View attachment 101541View attachment 101542
Here you can see both connections for XLR inputs and speaker outputs. @Apollon Audio used Neotech OCC wires, twisted from module to binding posts. They told me they deal with the red-red color using a multimeter to check which one is the phase. These wires are very rigid/solid and won't move from the position you see on pictures.

View attachment 101543
What do we have here? Ground properly screwed to the chassis and "L" on the left/top connector of IEC outlet. "Basics" are respected. I would have guessed about the Supra Lorad behind this sleeve, considering the blue-brown color... But it appears to be a standard for most power cables, while not that much used in audiophile cable industry.

View attachment 101544
As you can see, there is a massive amount of thermal paste everywhere. By the way, the unit doesn't run that warm, even after hours of listening. It is also nice to see capacitors on the module being rated at 105°C.
Edit: Thanks to members, this should be more likely silicone:

Subjective listening

Alright. Sure, we're on ASR and subjective review without controlled listening is most likely irrelevant. However, I do know how a transparent amp should sound like: ... It should not "sound" in any way!

As I said earlier, we do have a decent measuring module here, though not matching the best ones. In @amirm typical SINAD test (5W/4Ω at 1Khz): datasheet claims 0.002 THD+N, which translates to ≃94db SINAD. In the same conditions, my NC250MP monoblocs would be ≃100db SINAD. Again, according to datasheets, with reference designs. I had to compare the AS1200 with these mentioned amps. No proper AB test. My only wondering is: will I lost audible transparency with the AS1200? Short answer: NO.

Note that the input for max power is rated at 5V. Fine, my AD2-DAC can go up to 19dBu (6.90V). Better set the Auto-Ref level, which provide the max SNR possible all the way to the max output. The good point with RME is: If there's something wrong, that comes from elsewhere! Well, I do hear literally nothing wrong with this amp. I simply cannot point any issue with what I heard. I do have the same feeling I had with Ncores: Very clean/stable power, up to insanely loud listening levels. The main difference here is about power. Of course, I feel like I have more physical bass, wider and deeper soundstage, more dynamics... Most probably due to psychoacoustics, again created by the feel of much more sensitive power.

For now, the Ncores are sold and the AS1200 won't go anywhere. What I got is nothing but an exceptional listening experience. Translate exceptional by: the music sounds as it should. Nothing more, nothing less. Some say everything is about power? Fine, I have tons in stock! A future-proof purchase for sure. Now I've got SOTA DAC/preamp, paired with an insanely powerful, yet transparent enough, power block... The only direction I can look at for upgrades is: speakers. Perfect situation for me.:cool:

Conclusion

I will do this as simple as I can with "pros" and "cons" style:

Pros:

+ Stellar subjective listening experience with very clean, neutral and "big" sound.
+ Infinite power to drive literally anything.
+ Decent look. Unusual compact size considering the power.
+ Very good internal assembly with premium connectors and protected wires.
+ Cheapest 1200AS2 offering to my knowledge

Cons:

- External build quality feels rather poor once hands on it.
- Hum noise from the module itself.
- Does need 5V output preamp/DAC to reach the full power.

Bottom line: Do I recommend the Apollon AS1200?... YES! For the price, sure, you could find better measuring or better built amps, but nothing close to the monsterhorsepower this AS1200 is able to deliver! Highly recommended if you can deal with its downsides.
Hi, I was wondering if you still have your Apollon Audio AS1200? If so, I have a few questions. Thanks.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi, I was wondering if you still have your Apollon Audio AS1200? If so, I have a few questions. Thanks.
So, Aerial Acoustic Guy, just to go off topic for a second, I owned 10t's from 1995 to 2012 when I sold them and downsized. I like them a whole lot, but I've never seen them tested on a Klippel. So I'm wondering what model you own, and if you're in a position to send them for a few weeks to either Amir or Erin to have them measured and reviewed? Would love to see a pair of 10t's or 20t's with 2034 spins.

So, Aerial Acoustic Guy, just to go off topic for a second, I owned 10t's from 1995 to 2012 when I sold them and downsized. I like them a whole lot, but I've never seen them tested on a Klippel. So I'm wondering what model you own, and if you're in a position to send them for a few weeks to either Amir or Erin to have them measured and reviewed? Would love to see a pair of 10t's or 20t's with 2034 spins.
Hi, Thanks for the reply. I own a pair of 10T‘s, CC3, and SW12. I would also be interested a seeing unit tested on a Klippel, unfortunately I live in Europe which makes impossible to send a unit for testing.

Top Bottom