• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Apollon 1ET400A Mini Stereo

kepler

I bought one of these purifi-based amps for a 3-way active speaker setup. Although the cost was a bit more than other purifi amps I was willing to pay a bit more for the build quality but not so confident that I would do 6 channels of amplification from Apollon. So for two of the channels I brought a Topping PA-5 and for the other two channels I would use an XLR to RCA converter to use a class AB amp I already had.

One problem I encountered when purchasing the amp from Apollon, which I though was pretty questionable, was that at the time of purchase their website explicitly advertised the amp would come with WBT 0703 CU binding posts. Instead it came with their own branding of binding posts which although nice looking have a strong resemblance to binding posts Viborg used to sell for significantly cheaper. When asked about this they were not very responsive but did ultimately agree to send the WBT binding posts. It's been 4 months though and I'm still waiting.

I tried comparing this amp to the Topping amp using an AB amp/speaker switchbox. I switched between some Totem Model 1's and a diy bookshelf Fostex build. Overall it's not easy to discern the difference between these two amps driving these small bookshelf speakers. If pressed I might say notes seem to take longer to decay with the Topping amp than the Apollon one. Neither interpretation sounded bad; one could describe the Topping as having more "air" and another might describe the Apollon as having a "darker" background. I didn't listen to the same tracks on other systems to get an idea of which was closer to the recording.

Top Bottom