• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Apollon 10 channel Purifi on an inverter?

changster

I’m one of the crazies that actually want to support engineering companies like Purifi/Hypex who publish their data, prove themselves through objective quality, and even interact with the general audio community.

I would like to use an Apollon 10 channel Purifi based amp in my car via a big enough DC to AC inverter. It’s not ideal but can anyone think of any downsides in terms of performance? Don’t worry about the physical setup and installation.

400w a channel is kind of stupid to be honest since tweeters and mids might use a watt or two even in high-normal listening levels. However I just can’t get myself to spend any more money on the normal car audio brands.

I do have a fully active 10 channel Linkwitz 521.4 at home so if it doesn’t work out in the car I can always use all 10 channels at home.

Thanks!

thulle

Inverters are usually very inefficient at low loads, so an inverter that can cope with the full effect load and the inrush current will probably waste a ton of energy. Possibly 10x more than the amplifier itself.

Apollon have very nice builds, but I suspect they haven't done any vibration testing to see how it holds up to the prolonged vibrations and shocks from being used in a vehicle.

230v in a metal object without grounding where you, a gas pump, or the kids of the person parking next to you might become the shortest path to ground is an adventurous setup. Might want to check the legality of that first.

OP
changster

changster

Why can't anyone make a modular 12V power supply to use for these Purifi/Hypex modules?

Is it much more complicated than the 110/220V versions?

thulle

It does work though, a friend did this by using one of his back seats. Properly enclosed so there's no risk of the 230v side circuit going weird ways it should be fairly safe. RVs and such can have inverters. But then again, what happens if you're in a crash? Even the remote risk of there being 230v somewhere it's not expected, and where things are not constructed with it in mind, seems a risk better avoided.

Especially as the step-up/boost converters to convert 12v to the voltages needed for amplifiers do exist. Purifi 1ET400A can run on +-25V to +-65V, so you should be able to chose converter depending on how many watt you need. Maybe even different converters and voltages for different modules, depending on the power output required.

Random Google hit without specsheet or so, just as an example.

I find plenty of schematics, fewer finished products with efficiency figures and such. Should exist though.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Why can't anyone make a modular 12V power supply to use for these Purifi/Hypex modules?

Is it much more complicated than the 110/220V versions?

DC to DC Converters exist and they are built-into high-power car amplifiers.

OP
changster

changster

I will give Biketronics a call and see if they can use Purifi modules as well...

Having to use an inverter really does suck.

Top Bottom