• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Apo EQ red clipping

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
Hey hello
what sounds like when the apo mark the Red color?
I mean with -1.5dB i dont' get thet clipping, but with -1dB yes. What its the difference? but with -2dB its completely gone
This is not my EQ but you can see below the red clipping
1630169842998.png

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
I mean with -1.5dB i dont' get thet clipping, but with -1dB yes.
You probably won't hear 1/2dB of clipping but clipping is distortion and it should generally be avoided.

0dBFS (zero decibels full scale) is the digital reference and the digital maximum for integer formats. Most recordings are 0dB normalized ("maximized") so boosting with EQ (or any other boosting) can cause clipping. I've never used APO but reducing overall level with the "preamp" can compensate for that.

0dB is represents by the highest binary number you can "count to" with a given number of bits. If you "try" to send a bigger number to your DAC you'll get clipping. Or you can get analog clipping if you try to get 110W out of a 100W amplifier, etc.

Last edited:

tomtoo

Major Contributor
How it sounds? Just go up with the input level. Listen, you will hear. Like @DVDdoug said, just stay below.

OP
B

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
Ty
can that red clipping sound like a pop sometimes?, i mean a random pops when you listen stuff

Top Bottom